The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-04-2023, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

That is just incredible my friend, congratulations!
Old 10-04-2023, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Default Aboudib MA-D

Bill, congratulations on your new Aboudib MA-D. I'm glad to hear that you're loving the way it sounds. I really like the wood combination you and Michel selected and the carved panels are a very nice touch.

I look forward to hearing the demo video and seeing Antoine's photos once those are available. Enjoy your new MA-D!
Old 10-04-2023, 09:45 PM

Holy crap!
Old 10-05-2023, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Whoa, that looks fantastic and very very unique. Congrats, Sinistral!
Old 10-05-2023, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Thank you for the comments, everyone!

Last edited by sinistral; 10-07-2023 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-07-2023, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Lefty, that is one stunning instrument.

Like you, I am a big fan of the Florentine cutaway, and asked Max Spohn to incorporate it into the design of the guitar he is building for me (see thread). Unlike too many examples I have seen, Michel, like Max, gets the proportions just right. I know it when I see it - when a part of the guitar real estate is removed, but ultimately adds a touch of sensusal elegance to the profile. Very much a less is more outcome.

The wood stock you chose is magnificent. I have a guitar that Dave Webber made from koa. You must not look too deeply into the back for fear of falling in, never to return. I would caution you in the same way. And congratulations on your decision to use no back strip. It would add nothing but a visual divide between two pieces of wood that are configured to be seen as seamless. I made a similar decision, though my build has but a thin black line bisecting the sides. It works.

It is interesting that you and I have a similar philosophy regarding adornments on our respective builds. Like you, I decided to limit the inlay work to a visually dominating rosette, and forgo fretboard, headstock, backstrip or purfling pearl. I say, let the wood do the talking rather than compete for attention. After all, it is the wood that is doing all the heavy lifting. Now, I acknowledge the wood inlay at the 12th, and those lovely segments on the bout. But they work beautifully because they do not compete for attention with that explosion of pearl in the center, or the bold personality of the wood. And they shouldn't. And, oh, that spalted figuring in the headstock. No disrespect Michel intended, but it is the fungus that did beautiful work there, and merits a shout-out. As does the asymmetrical tuning peg configuration. Something very simple. Something very important.

I am curious to know if you were a Batman fan as a kid. Because, that bridge makes me want to don a cape and mask.

Lefty, the only concern I have at all about your build, and I mean this with all sincerity, is the configuration of the strings. They just turn my world upside down. Is this like a Bizarro World thing you got going?

Play that splendid instrument in the best of health. I look forward to seeing the refection of your guitar in the sky, knowing all will be well.

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bat.jpg (5.6 KB, 144 views)

Last edited by Deliberate1; 10-07-2023 at 09:11 PM.
Old 10-10-2023, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Default Gabriel Mallada demo playing his original piece Otoñal

Michel uploaded a video demo of Sinistral's guitar to his You Tube channel.

The video was shot by Antoine Aubry of Gabriel Mallada performing his original piece "Otoñal".

Beautiful sound and design aesthetics on this MA-D collaboration between Michel and Sinistral! I'm hoping to see it up close at Woodstock.
Old 10-12-2023, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

Default Bravo, Bill

Aloha,

Bravo Bill. That Great Clip demonstrates one of the best sounding new guitars I have ever heard online. It's the culmination of your unique sensibilities & vision for a one of a kind guitar, coupled with Michel's luthierie skills, design choices, & ears. The results? C'est Manifique!

There is an immediacy & balance to the notes that makes this a very "fast" & perfect guitar for solo acoustic guitar recording. Really! I'm sure you will hear that once you put this great new guitar together with your Schoeps.

Over the course of the first year, as with many Koa guitars, I'm sure you will hear the bass transform into something even more special, deeper & rounder.

So Bill, have a blast playing in this great gift in your life. I wish you all the joy, happiness & satisfaction that it will bring after the long wait is over finally for a great lefty, custom guitar of your own. Play yo' song!

All the best, my friend!

A Hui Hou!
alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 10-12-2023 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-15-2023, 07:17 PM
Charter Member

Saw it in person in Woodstock. It was amazing!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop