The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-07-2023, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
I hope so. Apple created a hole in their lineup when they went from the cheesegrater to the trashcan. Suddenly they really didn't have a computer that fit my needs and I had to make some adjustments in order to move to the iMac because I was using a few UA PCIe cards at the time.

Adjustments made but the iMac was a little underpowered for my needs. Then the new Mac Pro came along but it was cost prohibitive for me. The Mac Studio wasn't cheap but I expect this computer to be overpowered for a long time and I love the small footprint. It takes up no more room on my desk than the iMac did because the computer fits under the riser upon which I sit my monitor. I'm totally loving this machine!

We have a Mac Studio M1 Ultra at the studio. It's a powerhouse. In my home mix room I'm still rockin' an iMac Pro that is showing no signs of hitting it's limits yet (but I still want a shiny new Mac, anyway). Over decades of buying Macs I've learned that the higher end stuff will last a long time for me. The extra money upfront buys me several extra years of use. Well worth it. I think you'll be fine for a decade with that Mac Studio you have. I remember when we did the recording of the choirs for one of the Halo games I did it all on a 9 year old 17" MacBook Pro.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 06-07-2023, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post
We have a Mac Studio M1 Ultra at the studio. It's a powerhouse. In my home mix room I'm still rockin' an iMac Pro that is showing no signs of hitting it's limits yet (but I still want a shiny new Mac, anyway). Over decades of buying Macs I've learned that the higher end stuff will last a long time for me. The extra money upfront buys me several extra years of use. Well worth it. I think you'll be fine for a decade with that Mac Studio you have. I remember when we did the recording of the choirs for one of the Halo games I did it all on a 9 year old 17" MacBook Pro.
That's why I decided to go all-in on the Ultra rather than save a couple of thousand on the Max. I'll be very happy if I'm still feeling this computer is enough in a decade.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 06-07-2023, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

This just in

And 3 rd party 16 TB PCIe SSD with 26000 MBPS. who knew or maybe who needs that

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 06-07-2023 at 05:11 PM.
Old 06-08-2023, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
This just in

And 3 rd party 16 TB PCIe SSD with 26000 MBPS. who knew or maybe who needs that

Maybe some video work? I dunno. I'd expect that in professional settings which could have tremendous data storage needs that there'd be centralized IT/archivist software and personal support to assuredly store, backup, and check-in/out working data for projects. But I'm an audio guy who lately works mostly with me, myself, and I as staff, recordist, and artist.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 06-09-2023, 06:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
Maybe some video work? I dunno. I'd expect that in professional settings which could have tremendous data storage needs that there'd be centralized IT/archivist software and personal support to assuredly store, backup, and check-in/out working data for projects. But I'm an audio guy who lately works mostly with me, myself, and I as staff, recordist, and artist.
Yep I also wear all the hats and can't see myself owning a MP, which is interesting given I did own one in 2010, but back then that was basically the best option for my PTHD Native system . But it has become a brave new world of computing since that old bygone era

Many feel the the primary target customer for the new Mac Pro will be high output video production houses and that could be . Myself I kinda think that any medium size pro music recording operation which has PCIe needs and want the highest possible transfer speeds will likely weight it carefully against the Studio M2 Ultra

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 06-09-2023 at 07:05 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD