The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 05:42 AM
Charter Member

I the minds eye of most people playing what I'll call cover songs they hear the original version. What the rest of the world hears is something different. Such is life

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 07-18-2019, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I knew not to expect much from the floor singers there, but, really! every single one of them just scrubbed up and down on their guitars whilst they recited words from pieces of paper.
I've been going to a local open mic for years and I enjoy seeing people grow. Today's sheet reading, guitar scrubbers may be tomorrow's headlining performers with multiple albums.

Quote:
Just seems so sad!
On the contrary, how fortunate that you got to see them first!
Old 07-18-2019, 06:22 AM

I have a friend I play with that has been writing songs for decades. He is very very good at it. He however is a mediocre guitar player. He absolutely cannot play and sing his songs that he had even written years ago without having to look at his lyrics. I just don't get it because the writing is his strong point. I have only in recent years gotten to where I write and sing my own songs and if I had to look at lyrics I would screw up all the time. I do all of my singing and playing by memory. I really couldn't imagine doing it any other way personally. I could see having a sheet of lyrics there for reference if needed.
2019 Yamaha FGx5
2020 Yamaha AC3M Deluxe
2019 Yamaha FG800
2005 Taylor 214
Ibanez AEB10E Acoustic Bass
Old 07-18-2019, 06:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by why2 View Post
'velvet telephone boxes of my mind'

That's bit of comedy....
i'm pretty sure that tat was a comment from the late great BBC DJ, and promoter of all kids of great music - John Peel.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:19 AM

I don't understand what's supposed to happen here? Are beginners and those of lesser ability supposed to stay at home and shut up? On the contrary, I find one of the biggest problems with open mics are the big heads that think they're playing the Albert Hall.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:23 AM
Charter Member

So, my take away is this.

The OP didn't think the performers he saw at an open mic were as good as he thought they should be and it bummed him out.

Did I miss something?
Old 07-18-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctvolfan View Post
I have a friend I play with that has been writing songs for decades. He is very very good at it. He however is a mediocre guitar player. He absolutely cannot play and sing his songs that he had even written years ago without having to look at his lyrics. I just don't get it because the writing is his strong point. I have only in recent years gotten to where I write and sing my own songs and if I had to look at lyrics I would screw up all the time. I do all of my singing and playing by memory. I really couldn't imagine doing it any other way personally. I could see having a sheet of lyrics there for reference if needed.
Stephen Sondheim is famously unable to play most any of his music except for Send in the Clowns..You might see him playing a brief excerpt from Ballad of Sweeney Todd, but I can't recall ever seeing him play anything else But Send...Clowns in front of an audience . . .

Doesn't stop his being a genius writer.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayvis View Post
I don't understand what's supposed to happen here? Are beginners and those of lesser ability supposed to stay at home and shut up? On the contrary, I find one of the biggest problems with open mics are the big heads that think they're playing the Albert Hall.
No, not really, my point is that with just a little thought and application, they could be so much better.

I don't consider myself more than an adequate performer, but when I came down from the stage, someone said to me "I wish I could play guitar like that!" To which I replied - "you could, quite easily", but he wasn't listening.

In the past, I have been approached by people asking me to help them, and I have, just by showing them a few pretty simplistic techniques, some of which are illustrated on my YouTube channel.

Surely, if you can master the fretting of a bunch of chords with you (usually) less dominant hand, you could learn some technique with your right.

I'm not putting these folk down, or being big headed (I surely hope not), I just think that, well, it seems such a waste.

(I'm a lefty playing righty BTW)
Old 07-18-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
No, not really, my point is that with just a little thought and application, they could be so much better.

I don't consider myself more than an adequate performer, but when I came down from the stage, someone said to me "I wish I could play guitar like that!" To which I replied - "you could, quite easily", but he wasn't listening.

In the past, I have been approached by people asking me to help them, and I have, just by showing them a few pretty simplistic techniques, some of which are illustrated on my YouTube channel.

Surely, if you can master the fretting of a bunch of chords with you (usually) less dominant hand, you could learn some technique with your right.

I'm not putting these folk down, or being big headed (I surely hope not), I just think that, well, it seems such a waste.

(I'm a lefty playing righty BTW)
So you think they're not trying hard enough? I ran an open mic night for a while and of all the people that got up in front of a live audience which can be nerve wracking for those not used to it, not once did I think they weren't trying hard enough.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi, I went to play at another club tonight. Mainly I went to see/support a lovely duo, who play and sing together so beautifully.

I knew not to expect much from the floor singers there, but, really! every single one of them just scrubbed up and down on their guitars whilst they recited words from pieces of paper.

OK, I admit that I need to have song sheets on a stand at glancing distance (I am old!) but I sing to the audience, not the pieces of paper (or i-pads), and my accompaniment has rhythm, a bass line and melody, but why do these people lack any kind of right hand technique?

Just seems so sad!
Hi SM

As an old-guy (71 yrs old in a couple months), I take encouragement that there are new crops of player/singers getting their feet wet. I started reciting words and scrubbing up/down on my guitar when I was 15, and I'd play anywhere they allowed me to. Thankful they endured me all those formative years.

What you described sounds pretty much what I was when I started playing and singing back in the folk era. And there were lots of us anxious to play and sing. As I got older, I started learning by watching the older player-singers who were more popular, and frankly more professional than we newbies.

I copied them and have always looked for a stream of better players to learn from ever since. Some were aloof, but many were very approachable and anxious to share tips.

Without all those page reading newbies, there would be nothing coming downstream later.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-18-2019, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
So, my take away is this.

The OP didn't think the performers he saw at an open mic were as good as he thought they should be and it bummed him out.

Did I miss something?
No I don't think you missed anything. I think you summed it up.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:27 AM

You know, I was complaining about somebody's awful performance to a guitarist and singer that I deeply admire and he said "Music is my church and if anybody has the courage to step out and perform, no matter how they play, they are welcome."
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 07-18-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
[size=2]... I take encouragement that there are new crops of player/singers getting their feet wet. I started reciting words and scrubbing up/down on my guitar when I was 15, and I'd play anywhere they allowed me to. Thankful they endured me all those formative years....
"All I got is a red guitar, three chords and the truth." Bono.

I agree with Larry. I've watched this since it posted and I side with Bono on this. I made ton of money scrubbing background, session, tour and general playing for decades by not worrying about how complicated or simple the music was and just playing what I was supposed to play. At the same time friends who refused to deviate from their "calling", playing blues or jazz ate canned beans (I like them too). Can you imagine being a tuba, trombone, french horn... player most of the time. How about most bass players. Basic, simple accompaniment without a lot of deviation or improvisation. To me music doesn't have to be Segovia or Atkins complicated to move people or tell a story. Just ask Dylan.

I like playing some spirited music but it's not required most of the time. If it were, plenty of musicians would be out of work.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:37 AM

We have several open mic nights in my town. I host one of them.

I am constantly amazed at the collective talent in the room (both as performers and songwriters), the camaraderie among artist of all different skill levels, and the support that new folks receive when they give it a try.

We encourage everyone to get outside of their comfort zone, write new material, and bring it to the mic still rough-hewn. Some of my best songs have been introduced that way.

A few nice ones, a few beaters, and a few I should probably sell...
Old 07-18-2019, 08:43 AM

There's a guy here in the LA area who "curates" a semi-open mic... let's call it a door-slightly-ajar mic... where he requires the submission of two performance videos and you have to have a website or at least a performer-oriented Facebook presence. If he books you, the term being used loosely, you perform three originals and a cover. You get an equal cut of the tip jar but you have to stick around til the end if you want to collect, which means you're gonna spend money while you're killing time. So bottom line, unless some wealthy and appreciative audience member "makes it rain," (in LA it can happen), it's a pay-to-play you have to audition for.

Maybe our OP could start something like that.

Couch Standards
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion