The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-03-2019, 04:34 AM

I've owned and gigged a J-45 for nearly 2 decades. They've gotten too expensive to be called the "workhorse".

The modern workhorse IS the J-15, a full sized, American made, all solid wood guitar at a good price. Nobody will snivel about walnut being endangered. A sound of it's own as well.

I love mine and am in the process of wearing it out.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 07-15-2019, 03:09 AM

So I didn't decide yet which one to buy I have a birthday and I want to have a new guitar
right now I have the Taylor big baby
and the Martin 00010e

It's really hard to decide which one is better between the Gibson j15 and the Martin D-10e.
I didn't play the Gibson yet but the Martin sound great.

I also think on the Yamaha TransAcoustic LS-TA.

They all at the same price point.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:33 AM

The J-15 is a very nice guitar. Raw, woody, great Gibson sound to it... frankly, Gibson knocked it out of the park with these guitars.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:15 AM

Ok so I went to see the Gibson J15 vs the Yamaha TransAcoustic LL-TA and I have to say the Yamaha blow my mind it was so balanced and so bright.

it made at China and the J15 is on USA I Also play on the Martin D-10E but the Yamaha was so unique I don't know what to do.

They are all the same price point.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaMN View Post
Ok so I went to see the Gibson J15 vs the Yamaha TransAcoustic LL-TA and I have to say the Yamaha blow my mind it was so balanced and so bright.

it made at China and the J15 is on USA I Also play on the Martin D-10E but the Yamaha was so unique I don't know what to do.

Dude, buy the one YOU like the best.
If it's a toss up between the Gibson and the Yamaha, flip a coin.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-18-2019, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

I have owned my J-15 for 2 years and I like it more today than the day I bought it. It is a workhorse, and a Jack of all trades, really. That's my take on one particular guitar. The only thing that matters in your case is what you think.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickcity View Post
I have owned my J-15 for 2 years and I like it more today than the day I bought it. It is a workhorse, and a Jack of all trades, really. That's my take on one particular guitar. The only thing that matters in your case is what you think.
My feelings exactly.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:

My first input is you should get the guitar that sounds best to you. Other people's opinions might be informative, but how you like the guitar should be your deciding factor. All of these are good guitars.

I have both a Yamaha LL-16 rosewood and the Gibson J-15 - they are very different guitars and I dig both of them. The LL-TA and the LL-16 are the same size/shape, but I don't know how different they sound. In my opinion, you cannot go wrong with any of these choices, but it really boils down to what sound you are after.

My last input - I don't know where you are located, and I don't know if these guitars are widely available used where you are.

The reason I say this is because all of these guitars are mass-produced. The used market in the US for each of them is huge - you can find many specimens of each of these model guitars in excellent condition on the used market.

If you can easily buy them used in your market, don't over think the decision. If you buy one and decide you don't like it you can sell it and buy the other. Buying them used prevents you from taking a big depreciation so the risk is lower and you can change your mind without losing much, if any, money.

The good news is that buying a guitar is not like getting married - there is no long-term commitment required. If you make a mistake or change your mind (and you will do both eventually), you just swap it out and move on.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster

Last edited by JBCROTTY; 07-18-2019 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mal View Post
The J-15 is a very nice guitar. Raw, woody, great Gibson sound to it.. frankly, Gibson knocked it out of the park with these guitars.
An understatement if ever there was one, to which you can add most consistent structurally/tonally IME...
Old 07-20-2019, 02:29 PM

Thanks to all
I just want to hear them again and go for the
Yamaha LL-TA
Yamaha LL-TA
Old 07-20-2019, 03:08 PM

The J-15 is a really nice guitar. The only two problems I have with it are:

1 - tight Gibson 12" radius on the neck
2 - it sounds like a Gibson (i.e. midrangy)

Here is is easily 1 1/2 times the price of the Martin. So at the same price, the Gibson seems a much better value.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 10-05-2019, 07:35 AM

I have a D-10E Spruce top. Bought it because my other gigging acoustic had an accident. My poor boy was really upset when he and the dog knocked i off of the stand. Two days later my D-10E came from SWEETWATER. It is solid Sapele back and sides. I got it for $759 because the sales guy quoted me the price for the Sapel top model, and we were talking Spruce. Instead of $829 I got it for $759.

I'm a Gibson guy, but I wanted to try a Martin. This is a killer acoustic. I couldn't possibly ask for more at twice the price. Now I don't have to gig my Advanced Jumbo, and I'm completely happy with my Martin. The sound is all there, and I even like the looks. I'm so impressed that I may be buying a D-18. Martin is even doing a great job in Mexico. Pretty amazing guitar. Good luck on Your choice.

Last edited by Wally Taylor; 10-05-2019 at 07:47 AM.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
It's your call.
In my situation, the J15 has more appeal. I already own a D18 so either one of those Martin's would be less and redundant.
The J15 is different enough from my J45 that I could see me owning one.
I forgot about this thread since I bought a J15.
I really like it. My biggest concern was that it would be too similar to my J45... it is not. It actually sounds more balanced and dare I say even a bit Taylor-esque, but with more roundness and a nice bottom.
The J15 is punchy where the J45 is sweet. It is very suitable for lots of styles and makes a great singer-Songwriter instrument. It's a good bang for the buck as well.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 10-05-2019 at 08:29 AM.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneTroppo View Post
Personally I would definitely go with the J15. For one it's an all solid wood guitar, Walnut I believe.

I love Martin's but the d10 has laminate back and sides and richlite fretboard.

If you can play them side by side that would be great, if they're the same price and you must choose sight unseen seems quite a simple choice to me
The D10, D12, D13, and 000 equivalents in the Road Series are All Solid Wood.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:21 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
What do you think?
in my country they are about the same price.
Wild that they cost the same where you live. As others have mentioned the J-15 cost twice what a D-10e does here in the U.S. And for good reason. The J-15 has received glowing reviews since it was introduced around 2015. It’s basically a J-45 only with walnut b/s and fingerboard and a little less bling...and sells for about $1000 less. It’s size shape and scale, though, all mirror the iconic J-45.

The D-10e, on the other hand, is one of Martins inexpensive entry level guitars with a Richlite fingerboard and bridge. I haven’t played one...but I do own a J-15 and it’s an amazing guitar. One of the best bang for your bucks currently available in the acoustic world.

Follow your own ears...but I’d go for the Gibson all day long.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion