The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-21-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
Well here's a clip from todays gig that a friend recorded on his cell phone at the Green Turtle in Amelia Island... plug n play: jus' me and my Tak P3NC straight into my Loudbox Performer; pretty good sounding plug n play tone imo. This guitar is very sweet, warm and lively unplugged too. This was an important quality I did not find in the other brands, even tho plugged they are very outstanding. The MIJ Pro Taks give you both pretty impressively imo.

https://www.facebook.com/eric.alabis...191687/?type=3

eric
Sounds incredible!
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS
Old 04-21-2019, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid! View Post
Sounds incredible!
Thank you Kid!
Old 04-21-2019, 03:18 PM

Just a smiling word to say Tommy Emmanuel used to put a Realistic mic from RadioShack in his Maton... ;-)
Old 04-21-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
Well here's a clip from todays gig that a friend recorded on his cell phone at the Green Turtle in Amelia Island... plug n play: jus' me and my Tak P3NC straight into my Loudbox Performer; pretty good sounding plug n play tone imo. This guitar is very sweet, warm and lively unplugged too. This was an important quality I did not find in the other brands, even tho plugged they are very outstanding. The MIJ Pro Taks give you both pretty impressively imo.

https://www.facebook.com/eric.alabis...191687/?type=3

eric

Well, how good would it be to sit and listen to Eric all afternoon on Amelia Island in Florida? Good stuff! Hard to tell if the silly guitar is any good - you, YOU steal the show and the ears away, ERIC!

Now what was I replying to? I have never played a Tak or Cole Clark but I have 3 Maton 808s! The question above - I think it depends on your playing style - if you are strumming a lot, the Tak would do it very nicely, like Eric above. Pickups go funny with fingerpicking and I like more help from a dual source pickup with inbuilt mic.....makes the fingerpicking more 'real'. In goes the soundhole plug or the mic feeds.

The Maton AP5-Pro pickup is so nice that a strumming singer songwriter usually leaves the mic off.

But if you want a Fingerpicking Machine, ala TE, well no other choice but the Maton with AP5-Pro...pickup AND mic flat out, Vol flat out, sweep the mids to suit, bass, treble flat, soundhole plug in...and let it rip! Not another thing needed - straight to PA. But if you want more controls, get a few preamps and things.

So in order of pref at my place......having never played the CC or Taks....:

No 1 by a mile - Maton with AP5-Pro

No 2 and 3 - a spare Maton with AP5-pro and another for slide guitar.

No 4 - Martin D18E Retro with Aura + inbuilt.

No 5 - any guitar I have K&K in running through Tonedexter.

No 6 - Seymour Duncan Mag Mic soundhole pickup in any guitar it fits.

No 7. I just bought a Taylor 717e the other day and the pickup sound is very K&K like but with knobs and preamp for easier control. It sounds nice direct but I haven't tried it much yet. I intend to plug in to the Tonedexter next.....

BluesKing777.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:48 PM

more thoughts on this?

Taks, Cole Clarks or Matons for best live sound?
Old 07-16-2019, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
more thoughts on this?

Local shot just started carrying Cole Clarks and they have a couple in the shop. I've played them unplugged and they sounded okay. I plan to play them plugged in soon and will report back although their nut widths are too narrow for me to consider. But I still want to see (hear) what all the buzz is about.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
more thoughts on this?

A good saying would be: "Don't go on after the Maton player"

Designed for live playing with help from TE.

BluesKing777.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:39 PM

If you decide you want the Maton AP5 Pro system but want more acoustic sound than the 808 is intended for, Maton's top of the line Messiah (the dread) may provide all you desire. They are comfortable around a Martin D28 - not enormous acoustically, but quality.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:10 PM

I have a recent Maton Messiah 808 and find that easy to EQ - the dread version may get flabby bass live.

A bizarre thingo about most recent Matons is that they all get the same pickup system, rich or poor! Is that confidence in a system or what? And the same neck size, no matter what you ask for! I asked about a custom shop with a wider neck - nope. The normal neck is just fine for fingerpicking - 3 whiskers wider than a modern Gibson neck setup. TE seems to like it.

If you want to splurge, they will do a Custom and also have limited Custom Shops like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NzMOyypvCc

Here is the Messiah dread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q-O5UoTiRA

BluesKing777.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

From what I gather from a few players endorsed by both companies - Maton pickups were designed by the fella who started Cole Clark. I find the sound of the AP5 in the Matons to be the best sounding “stocked” pickup available but you have to decide for yourself if you like the Maton sound or Cole Clark, acoustically speaking.

At the end of the day you can get an amazing sound regardless of what pickup system you have as long as you are working with a quality mixer and PA and have general knowledge about how to pregain and EQ your signal to fit the room. I’m an endorser of the K&K Trinity because it doesn’t affect the sound of my guitar and requires no drilling but I have heard great live sound from the Seymour duncan Magmic, LR Baggs Anthem and of course the brands you mentioned. Just depends how you work with them.

I don’t know of any pickup that sounds good plugged straight in with flat settings on the preamp or mixer..they all need a little somethin’ to sound acceptable. In addition I consistently think the more sources you have the better, a mic+ piezo combo will always sound better to me than just a piezo. I like to have my Trinity (K&K Pure Mini + stocked mic) split with a third source, a diMarzio Magnetic, just to fill in the bass a little bit and it always feels good especially with a sub!

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com

Last edited by Dustinfurlow; 07-16-2019 at 06:41 PM.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobKay View Post
Is there a pick of the crop for plugged in sound from the above or maybe another manufacturer has something equal or better?
Rob
This is my second post and an update from the first one.

I don't have experiences with Maton or Cole Clark, but I have a LOT with Takamine. Also have experiences with Taylor guitars with ES2. Those are great, Taks are better plugged in (in fact, none of my Taylors have ES2 right now); but the one who takes the cake, no doubt about it, is Ovation. Have never, ever, failed me and they can cut through anything.
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 07-16-2019, 10:18 PM

I have an old Maton, fitted with the AP5 system of that era, however I believe the newer ones going by the same name are a marked improvement.

Nowadays, I highly recommend fitting the Fishman Matrix Infinity Mic Blend to your favorite guitar, and just enjoy it!
Here is a video recorded by a friend of mine who took the video at a local market. Directly plugged straight into a Boss Acoustic Singer Pro.

https://www.facebook.com/daniel.quai...30040690386176
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 07-17-2019, 12:53 AM

"Little Wing"........a favourite clip of mine played on a Maton.

https://youtu.be/EcJc4edbzAQ
Old 07-17-2019, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Adam Rafferty sure makes some magic on both his Cole Clark and Maton guitars. I have heard him live twice and he has an amazing sound. Of course he is a stellar player and I do not know all what is in his signal chain. Taks are also well known as great stage guitars. Good luck in making your decision.

Best,
Jayne

Last edited by jaymarsch; 07-17-2019 at 08:07 AM.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
Adam Rafferty sure makes some magic on both his Cole Clark and Maton guitars. I have heard him live twice and he has an amazing sound. Of course he is a stellar player and I do not know all what is in his signal chain. Taks are also well known as great stage guitars. Good luck in making your decision.

Best,
Jayne
That's some really nice playing. Thanks for posting. Although I'm not a big fan of the Maton sound, he certainly makes his sound really nice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion