The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 02-11-2017, 03:07 PM

Default Is a 'cheap' arch top.......

.......worth finding? And if you find it, is it worth buying? A grand for me is a push....5 grand is obscene.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:41 PM

A Godin 5th Avenue archtop is a decent guitar for under a grand if you really want an archtop. A number of years ago, I found a 60's Kay archtop for under $200 on Ebay that was in good shape. It's not a great guitar by any means but it's a fun little guitar to mess around with from time to time. If I was playing more jazzy stuff, I'd want a better guitar and I think the Godins would be good then.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 02-11-2017, 03:59 PM

Eastman archtops are pretty well regarded and several models are under 1k

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-11-2017, 04:14 PM

Depends on many factors; before I made a purchase I'd make sure I have a tech who knows exactly what he/she is doing when it comes to acoustic archtops - I've dealt with several guys who did first-class work when it came to flattops and/or electrics, but didn't know squat about what makes these babies tick; since you're on a limited budget I'd avoid most of the vintage stuff - while there are a few nice '50s Harmony/Kay instruments to be had, more often than not they're going to need (expensive) repairs to get them back into first-class shape. I'll +1 Dan and say that your best bet would probably be a Godin 5th Avenue acoustic - I have this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Godin-5th-A.../dp/B001FC3GDA

I've tried everything else in this price range, and in terms of QC you're not going to find better - or a better value (the closest all-acoustic Eastman - the new AR400 - sells for a few hundred more); while the similarly-priced Loar LH300 and Gretsch New Yorker boast solid tops (carved on the Loar), IME the tonal merits are questionable. You'll notice that I've also left the new Epiphone Century instruments off the list; I tried the entire lineup a few weeks ago and found them to be disappointing - thin-sounding in both volume and tone, with a massive neck that never appeared on any genuine '30s Epiphone I've ever encountered in the last half-century - and I've heard rumors that they may either be re-engineered or discontinued outright. In addition, you have the security of a factory warranty - a strong selling factor in itself IMO...
Old 02-12-2017, 07:54 AM

I've been looking at Godin 5th Avenue.....Washburn J600 and a second hand Hofner 1958 President. Unfortunately the Hofner is being sold on an Internet auction site which I personally don't like to use to buy a guitar. I've heard sound bites of the Godin and Washburn on the tube and both sound very good in an accomplished players hands! The 25.5 inch Washburn is putting me off somewhat, but the shorter scale Godin (24.8 or so inches) is calling me. The '58 Hofner does look fabulous though....my birth year.......but I won't take the risk.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:57 AM

Do you want to play acoustic or plugged in?

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 02-12-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Do you want to play acoustic or plugged in?
At this moment in time I would say acoustic as I'm just a guy who plays his one and only acoustic guitar at home.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:16 AM

I've owned a 1957 Hofner Senator for decades, and I got it out a few days ago for a spin. I was astounded at how good it sounded - bright and lively. That generation of Hofners are very well made but have steel reinforced necks, no adjustable truss rod, and have quite large necks. I find them extremely comfortable, but you need to know what you are getting. They are also very prone to needing a neck reset. The neck joint was described as "funny" when I had mine reset almost 30 years ago, but has been totally stable since. Great entry level or higher acoustic archtop, in my opinion. The President is a higher level model than my Senator, might have a solid carved top.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:58 PM

Here's another unpaid and almost unqualified endorsement for the Fifth Avenue. I'd rather have mine in my lap than a lovely catalog of some Collings that I'll never afford, or some relic of an old Harmony that's barely playable. Maybe you'll find that it just fits you like no other guitar before it. I did, and I'm playing much more and better than when I had an unwieldy dreadnaught hanging on my wall, unattended.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:16 PM

It all depends on what you may find. I found a late 30's Gretsch Model 35 locally that was in very good though dirty shape. After much cleaning and a trip to my go to guy for set ups and more, I have a great sounding and playing guitar for about $375. Both cheap and well worth buying.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

Eastman archtops are extremely good.(at least goos ones are - I'd say style * and above - I have no interest in the semi acoustics etc

My first archtop was/is a'60s Harmony Monterey .- pressed rather than carved top, but still a good instrument, and as long as you can find one with a good neck- better than the budget lines being made today ... imho..

Last edited by Silly Moustache; 04-29-2017 at 07:19 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:36 AM

For an electric archtop, it doesn't matter much. An Ibanez Artcore is a reasonable substitute for an ES-175. The problem with cheap acoustic archtops is that they don't usually sound at all like a good acoustic archtop. The Godin 5th Aveue and Loar archtops are perfect examples - they make an acoustic sound, but it's a far cry from what a "real" acoustic archtop sounds like. Chomp some swing jazz chords, and they just don't "bark". Just thin sounding with no low end.

Certain vintage models from Gibson and Epiphone can occasionally be had for a good price, but they could be in need of expensive repair work, so that's not a safe bet. Vintage budget arcchtops can be had for cheap, but they can often need more work than they're worth. If you get a Kay or Harmony playing good, they can produce a cool midrangey blues sound, but they sound nothing like the rich balanced tone of a good carved top archtop.

If you're on a budget, an Eastman is your best option if you're wanting something that actually approaches the acoustic tone of a good archtop. Good Luck!

Last edited by Hot Vibrato; 02-20-2017 at 07:48 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:30 PM

Completely disagree on the Loar--the 600 and 700 are very much the "real deal" when it comes to swing rhythm (and much better at it than any Eastman)

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 02-20-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Vibrato View Post
...The Godin 5th Aveue and Loar archtops are perfect examples - they make an acoustic sound, but it's a far cry from what a "real" acoustic archtop sounds like. Chomp some swing jazz chords, and they just don't "bark"...
Mine does - then again it's got a set of PB 14's and a Stew-Mac rosewood bridge, but that's all of, say, $25...
Old 02-20-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Completely disagree on the Loar--the 600 and 700 are very much the "real deal" when it comes to swing rhythm (and much better at it than any Eastman)
The only reason I mentioned Eastman is because they are the only import I've heard that even comes close to sounding like a "real" archtop, but they admittedly fall short of what a vintage Gibson or New York Epiphone can sound like.

I've yet to see anything from Loar that has impressed me, but maybe I haven't seen the right models. In fact I worked on a Loar A style mando today, and it sounded pretty anemic. Maybe I've only seen Loar's budget offerings. I hereby retract my statement and will reserve judgement until I get my hands on a carved top Loar. I remain skeptical, but I shall keep an open mind. After all, the Loar 700 may just be the 20's L-5 that I can actually afford. If it's lacquered with a carved top, it's definitely worth a look.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops