The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-03-2016, 05:49 PM
JerryM JerryM is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Oregon Coast
Posts: 851
Default McPherson vs Rainsong

I am just considering the purchase of a Kevin Michael travel guitar have a deal lined up and almost ready to purchase, but would like to hear from some of you that have these guitars as this vs the Rainsong Shorty....
I know the McPherson wood guitars are great, so was kind of going on brand recognition, there is no place remotely near me that sells these to try.
Would really like to hear opinions, I need a small guitar and short scale so the Kevin seemed to fit the bill, I also like the fact it comes with two cases.....Jerry
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-03-2016, 06:13 PM
EvanB EvanB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,988
Default

Jerry;

No doubt, you are thinking about a fine guitar. The one you are thinking about is probably very sweet. But, after many years of numerous carbon fiber guitars, my advice to check out what is available; Blackbird, Emerald, Journey, and Peavey all have some pretty enticing offerings.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-03-2016, 06:28 PM
Acousticado's Avatar
Acousticado Acousticado is offline
Tommy CanAm
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Ontario, Canada/SW Florida
Posts: 11,996
Default

Evan is spot-on with his advice. Take your time, research threads in this CF subforum about the various brands.
__________________
Tom
AGF Moderator

Wood: '02 Taylor 814c | '18 Taylor 214ceDLX (Rosewood) | '18 Taylor 150e-12 String (Walnut) | '79 Ibanez Dread (First acoustic) | '02 Fender Strat - American '57 RI
Carbon Fiber: '18 Emerald X20 Custom | '08 Composite Acoustics Cargo RT
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-03-2016, 07:15 PM
Methos1979's Avatar
Methos1979 Methos1979 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Seacoast, NH
Posts: 4,056
Default

I was very interested in the Kevin Michael travel as well but after reading a bunch of threads it became apparent that the scale and fret board were likely going to be a little too small for me. Since travel needs was not an issue (like plane travel) I went with the Rainsong Shorty APLE. The scale is short but more 'normal' short. Also, the 1 3/4" nut and 2 3/16" string spacing mirror my Santa Cruz OO perfectly and give me a seamless transition between the two. Plus, the APLE model looks great and has a decent pickup system in it with an internal microphone that can be blended with the UST.

Although the body of the Shorty is a normal sized 000/OM, because it joins the neck at the 12th fret, the scale feels very short. It's more similar to my SC's 24.5" scale than my 000-28EC's 24.9" scale. Super comfortable. Plus, it has a cutaway so access to the 14th and higher frets is easier, unlike my SC with no cutaway. But the Shorty's larger body makes for a great sounding guitar amplified and unamplified. Although it has a larger 000/OM size body, it still feels like a much smaller guitar.

If I was looking strictly based on travel needs (plane, camping, boating, etc.) then I might go with something smaller, but since I was just looking for a guitar that could backup the SC in inclement weather or rough conditions, the Shorty got the call.

I also had an Emerald X20 that was excellent. There are several models in that line that are just great guitars and might work for your small-guitar needs.
__________________
-------------------------------------------------------------

Methos1979: Every guitar-related review I've written on AGF!

NO1U Know - our official acoustic duo website
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-03-2016, 09:14 PM
JerryM JerryM is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Oregon Coast
Posts: 851
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I was very interested in the Kevin Michael travel as well but after reading a bunch of threads it became apparent that the scale and fret board were likely going to be a little too small for me. Since travel needs was not an issue (like plane travel) I went with the Rainsong Shorty APLE. The scale is short but more 'normal' short. Also, the 1 3/4" nut and 2 3/16" string spacing mirror my Santa Cruz OO perfectly and give me a seamless transition between the two. Plus, the APLE model looks great and has a decent pickup system in it with an internal microphone that can be blended with the UST.

Although the body of the Shorty is a normal sized 000/OM, because it joins the neck at the 12th fret, the scale feels very short. It's more similar to my SC's 24.5" scale than my 000-28EC's 24.9" scale. Super comfortable. Plus, it has a cutaway so access to the 14th and higher frets is easier, unlike my SC with no cutaway. But the Shorty's larger body makes for a great sounding guitar amplified and unamplified. Although it has a larger 000/OM size body, it still feels like a much smaller guitar.

If I was looking strictly based on travel needs (plane, camping, boating, etc.) then I might go with something smaller, but since I was just looking for a guitar that could backup the SC in inclement weather or rough conditions, the Shorty got the call.

I also had an Emerald X20 that was excellent. There are several models in that line that are just great guitars and might work for your small-guitar needs.
Hey thanks a bunch for the info, my other and forever guitar is a SC OO Skye and the transition issue sounds right on. My main reason for small size is back and heath related so important, not so much the travel thing.
I am presently looking at letting my OOO18GE go to fund this new guitar, got a great trade in offer almost straight up, but going to go over and check out that Shorty again......Jerry
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-03-2016, 09:24 PM
JerryM JerryM is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Oregon Coast
Posts: 851
Default

The One thing I can't say I am in love with on the RS is the trapdoor electronics. The McPher has the interior pu. Can the RS be gotten without the door??
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-03-2016, 09:37 PM
Methos1979's Avatar
Methos1979 Methos1979 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Seacoast, NH
Posts: 4,056
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
The One thing I can't say I am in love with on the RS is the trapdoor electronics. The McPher has the interior pu. Can the RS be gotten without the door??
Not sure, to tell you the truth. Don't think so, but that would be a guess. If they do then it would likely be a custom order. I don't like barn door electrics on wood guitars, it doesn't bother me at all on CF guitars. I also love having the onboard tuner/mute, EQ, notch and volume.

If you haven't checked out my NGD post on the APLE, click on the link below. If you really want no barn door I know you can custom order the Emerald guitar line with a K&K Pure Mini in it. But you'll wait and pay new prices. I have no experience with any other of the CF guitar lines out there.

I'm jealous of your OO Skye - I'm dying to try one of those.
__________________
-------------------------------------------------------------

Methos1979: Every guitar-related review I've written on AGF!

NO1U Know - our official acoustic duo website
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-03-2016, 09:41 PM
Acousticado's Avatar
Acousticado Acousticado is offline
Tommy CanAm
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Ontario, Canada/SW Florida
Posts: 11,996
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
The One thing I can't say I am in love with on the RS is the trapdoor electronics. The McPher has the interior pu. Can the RS be gotten without the door??
Hopefully, Ted from LA Guitars will chime-in. As a dealer, he'll know for sure what the options are...for most CF brands, except Emerald, I think. My guess is you can order RSs without any electronics, then have the dealer install what you want, or do it yourself. I don't like barn door electronics either, on any guitar.
__________________
Tom
AGF Moderator

Wood: '02 Taylor 814c | '18 Taylor 214ceDLX (Rosewood) | '18 Taylor 150e-12 String (Walnut) | '79 Ibanez Dread (First acoustic) | '02 Fender Strat - American '57 RI
Carbon Fiber: '18 Emerald X20 Custom | '08 Composite Acoustics Cargo RT
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-03-2016, 09:51 PM
steelvibe's Avatar
steelvibe steelvibe is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: A mile over sea level in CO
Posts: 3,105
Default

Yes, RainSong offers all guitars sans electronics- it is how I purchased mine! You may need to wait awhile since it's likely a dealer would have to order directly from our friends in Woodinville.
__________________
"We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. C.S. Lewis
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-04-2016, 02:36 AM
J.R. Rogers's Avatar
J.R. Rogers J.R. Rogers is offline
AGF Owner & Founder
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Durango, CO
Posts: 8,233
Default

I really suggest finding a way to put one of these guitars in your hands before you make a decision. Maybe find a dealer with an evaluation period? Rainsong is making a beautiful guitar and has a certain level of maturity in this industry, and they are delivering excellent, well-conceived instruments right out of the box. The electronics work well, the integrated tuner is great and I'm pretty sure it can be had without electronics also. There are so many miles on my Rainsong P12's... I have both the steel string and nylon versions and wouldn't hesitate to recommend this guitar. It would be great if Rainsong shipped these little guitars with a cool custom gig bag but there are aftermarket options that work fine.

Emerald makes a near-full-scale X5 travel guitar that's about the size and weight of a tennis racket, includes B-band electronics with tuner and comes with a good custom travel bag/backpack. The whole package is so light you'll forget it's on your back and it stows easily in an airplane overhead. I've taken mine around the world.

I've only seen the McPherson once and got to handle it but not play it.

JR
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-04-2016, 08:14 AM
Emerald Guitars's Avatar
Emerald Guitars Emerald Guitars is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Donegal, Ireland
Posts: 222
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
I really suggest finding a way to put one of these guitars in your hands before you make a decision. Maybe find a dealer with an evaluation period? Rainsong is making a beautiful guitar and has a certain level of maturity in this industry, and they are delivering excellent, well-conceived instruments right out of the box. The electronics work well, the integrated tuner is great and I'm pretty sure it can be had without electronics also. There are so many miles on my Rainsong P12's... I have both the steel string and nylon versions and wouldn't hesitate to recommend this guitar. It would be great if Rainsong shipped these little guitars with a cool custom gig bag but there are aftermarket options that work fine.

Emerald makes a near-full-scale X5 travel guitar that's about the size and weight of a tennis racket, includes B-band electronics with tuner and comes with a good custom travel bag/backpack. The whole package is so light you'll forget it's on your back and it stows easily in an airplane overhead. I've taken mine around the world.

I've only seen the McPherson once and got to handle it but not play it.

JR
Hi JerryM,

JR kindly mentioned our X5 travel guitar to you. Like JR, many of our customers have taken the X5 to some incredible places. Our friend JP has recently taken the X5 to Antarctica and is currently in the Arctic Circle with it.

We are currently finalising the logistics, but we will soon be rolling out a new home trial programme across the United States where participants will be able to choose from a number of our models (including the X5 and the slightly bigger X7) to trial the model of their choice in the comfort of their own home for a full week. Although we have yet to officially announce the HTP in an independent thread, we have already been taking names of people interested in the programme.

If this sounds of interest to you, you are more than welcome to send us an email to info@emeraldguitars.com and we will add you to the list of those interested in participating.

Best Wishes

Sean @ Emerald Guitars HQ
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-04-2016, 09:30 AM
Ted @ LA Guitar Sales Ted @ LA Guitar Sales is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern California
Posts: 12,240
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
I am just considering the purchase of a Kevin Michael travel guitar have a deal lined up and almost ready to purchase, but would like to hear from some of you that have these guitars as this vs the Rainsong Shorty....
I know the McPherson wood guitars are great, so was kind of going on brand recognition, there is no place remotely near me that sells these to try.
Would really like to hear opinions, I need a small guitar and short scale so the Kevin seemed to fit the bill, I also like the fact it comes with two cases.....Jerry
Hi Jerry,

The Kevin Michael is a fantastic little guitar, it's basically what the Cargo could have been had CA not went under, but it's priced at three times what the Cargo sold for when I used to carry CA so they are not flying off the shelves. The Rainsong Parlor on the other hand is flying off the shelves, and for good reason. It's a true go anywhere guitar with standard short, or long scale, the same great N2 neck with fully adjustable truss rod as found on all other models, and a fantastic tone. In a gig bag it's no less travel friendly than the Cargo or Kevin Michael, carried mine on without problems several times, and it's lighter than the KM. So if the size of the Kevin Michael will work for you, so will the Rainsong Parlor, and the RS Parlor can easily serve as your only guitar.

If you need something smaller, a category I like to call "sub-compact" guitars, than you can go with the Blackbird Rider, or the Emerald X5, but in this category, the Riders tone will smoke the competition. In fact, the Rider holds it's own against the Kevin Michael as well. And no, this is not subjective, it's fact.

And somewhere in between travel and sub-compact we have the Journey OF660 series at $1200, a guitar abut the same size as the Kevin Michael when assembled, but it will fit in to a supplied TSA compliant case broken down. Tonally the OF660 is very close to the Kevin Michael, so nice and warm, and it comes with their version of a K&K pickup at no additional charge, and it's, standard short scale.

Speaking of electronics, both the Kevin Michael and the Rainsong are available without electronics, and they don't require any mods like the Emerald if you want to install something like a K&K down the road.

Feel free to call me during business hours for a more thorough description of the guitars. Although I've dropped some of the brands over the years, at one time or another I owned, and sold every brand of CF guitars so I have plenty of hands on experience with all of them.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-04-2016, 11:03 AM
EvanB EvanB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,988
Default

Jerry;

I'd call Ted. He know the overall field of CF instruments, he carries (or can get) just about anything you want, and he's easy to talk and deal with. Good luck in your search--take your time and enjoy the process.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-04-2016, 11:13 AM
JerryM JerryM is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Oregon Coast
Posts: 851
Default

I just wrote to Ted this morning before checking this thread and I think I will call him today, what a great place this forum is to get information and worthwhile from experienced people. Thanks everyone for your input I really appreciate it a great deal. Kind of daunting venturing into something like this when you know nada!
Where I live there is NO place to try any of them and NO dealers in Oregon I just checked, that is what makes this site so great for folks like me......Jerry
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-04-2016, 11:15 AM
JerryM JerryM is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Oregon Coast
Posts: 851
Default

By the way I need to do more reading but what the heck is a N2 neck? I like the fact that the RS has a full scale, little hesitant about the really short under 24" scales.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=