The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 07:38 PM
Charter Member

Bruce: are non builders allowed at the NCAL meeting? I'd like to attend and learn, if possible.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:09 PM

Bruce,

Updates on the classical? I can't wait to see how it sounds.

I am having a flamenco negra built so anything with nylon right now has my interest peaked...

Thanks,

Jrw
Old 09-01-2015, 11:12 PM
AGF Sponsor

NCAL members have no credentials to be checked, and none are required in any case. As I said, any interested person is welcome. Sunday September 13 from 1 till 5, roughly. some sort of snack and a chair are usually encouraged, though there will be nowhere to put a chair, I suspect.

The classical guitar is slow going, so far. I have messed with the braces a couple of times, and I have roughed out the neck. This pic is the second pass on the braces, perhaps I'll take another pic tomorrow of the actual current state of things, the third pass.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:20 AM

Bruce:
With my latest order from LMI they included a free copy of the 1999 show. Very nice of them I thought. Of course you were included with your "Coo'stik Dominator". Nice looking guitar. Just for interest sake I think you can truly call your self "Luthier" given all the various instruments you build. Luthier meaning builder of stringed instruments. A lot of the rest of us try to call ourselves luthiers,but most of us are trying to build guitars. Not trying to put anyone down it seems you have covered the field. Congrats.
Tom
Old 09-04-2015, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
NCAL members have no credentials to be checked, and none are required in any case. As I said, any interested person is welcome. Sunday September 13 from 1 till 5, roughly. some sort of snack and a chair are usually encouraged, though there will be nowhere to put a chair, I suspect.
Great! I hope to make it.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom West View Post
Bruce:
With my latest order from LMI they included a free copy of the 1999 show. Very nice of them I thought. Of course you were included with your "Coo'stik Dominator". Nice looking guitar. Just for interest sake I think you can truly call your self "Luthier" given all the various instruments you build. Luthier meaning builder of stringed instruments. A lot of the rest of us try to call ourselves luthiers,but most of us are trying to build guitars. Not trying to put anyone down it seems you have covered the field. Congrats.
Tom
Luthiers who specialize usually have a bit of baggage on their title, so; piano Luthier, or, violin luthier, or of course, guitar luthier. Having built instruments in the three major categories (plucked, bowed, and struck) I am indeed comfortable being "simply" a luthier.

I still have my first Coo'stik Dominator, as well as the last. I actually refer to the last as a Coo'stik Harmonizer, as it was built to sound beautiful as opposed to powerful. If any of you caught my band with Eric Scoenberg and Larry Mersereau, @Risk, performing at the HGF that happened at the Dominican College in San Rafael way back when, you heard the first C'Dom then. Or perhaps you were distracted by the 1929 OM 28 Eric was playing.
Old 09-06-2015, 03:22 PM
AGF Sponsor

I am a bit disenchanted with the classical at the moment as humidity issues have interrupted my progress with the top, and it is looking like I'll have to strip the braces off the top and replace them. That is unusual in my experience. Climate change?

But I have remade the experimental tailpiece on the archtop as well as finessing the bridge. The new tailpiece also facilitates a Schertler Stat-V PU. That's V as in violin, but I am quite happy with the result on this guitar. The PU is tiny, and it it inconceivable to me that it has a measurable effect on on acoustic performance, which seems greatly enhanced by the rethink of the various part, by the way. If it does seem to have an effect, no matter, as it removes completely in a few seconds, though it is a hair trickier getting it back in position.

There are a series of holes in the ebony end block which allow the height of the cable pivot to be changed (w/o tools) and thereby changing the down force on the top. I tried the highest setting first, and while the guitar was extremely responsive, comparatively (roughly like a flat top), it lost some to punch I demand from an arch top. The lowest setting provides huge punch, but isn't particularly fun to play on, and the middle setting (where it is here) makes me giddy I like so well!

Schertler Stat-V:

With and w/o the PU:

The bridge:
Old 09-07-2015, 12:57 PM
AGF Sponsor

I am withdrawing the BRW I offered FS a few posts ago as I have joined it and surfaced it. I may even use it!

Old 09-07-2015, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I am withdrawing the BRW I offered FS a few posts ago as I have joined it and surfaced it. I may even use it!

Beautiful set Bruce!
Old 09-12-2015, 08:12 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default NCAL meeting 9/13/15

I have not only cleaned and organized my shop, relatively, but I have moved much of it out of the way so that tomorrows expected hoards will have somewhere to be.

My "Cockpit:

Displaced fixtures:

The machine and wood storage room:
Old 09-13-2015, 10:28 AM
AGF Sponsor

Given that the custom shop has become the bastion of the modern guitar movement IMO, folks here might be particularly interested in the subject of the talk I am giving at today's NCAL meeting in my shop.

I am going to discuss the divergence between the vintage guitar concept and the modern guitar concept. While similar in appearance, the functionality of the two types is remarkably different, as are their characters. I do not believe that many of the modern builders nor their customers are aware of just how profound the developement is. In My Opinion, of course.

Most people, when talking of the difference between Modern and Vintage seem to think it is only the nature of the tonal envelope, but that is merely a symtom. While I can manipulate the sound of my guitar in that direction, my building style is actually nearly pure vintage.

I expect this Meeting to be particularly interesting for the thinking guitar aficionado.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

Default Ncal

For those of you interested here is the NCAL link:

https://www.facebook.com/NCAL.club/t...=page_internal

Old 09-13-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Given that the custom shop has become the bastion of the modern guitar movement IMO, folks here might be particularly interested in the subject of the talk I am giving at today's NCAL meeting in my shop.

I am going to discuss the divergence between the vintage guitar concept and the modern guitar concept. While similar in appearance, the functionality of the two types is remarkably different, as are their characters. I do not believe that many of the modern builders nor their customers are aware of just how profound the developement is. In My Opinion, of course.

Most people, when talking of the difference between Modern and Vintage seem to think it is only the nature of the tonal envelope, but that is merely a symtom. While I can manipulate the sound of my guitar in that direction, my building style is actually nearly pure vintage.

I expect this Meeting to be particularly interesting for the thinking guitar aficionado.
Any chance someone could record and post as podcast or youtube etc? Regardless I hope it goes excellently!

Sam
Old 09-13-2015, 01:06 PM
AGF Sponsor

I hope not, as this will be an extemporaneous presentation, and it is a rehearsal (in my mind) for another presentation on the subject I have been invited to give for the San Francisco Guitar Society in October. I expect to be somewhat more coherent the second time! While I have thought about the subject matter and the points a mean to hit, I have NOT made notes of any sort.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:14 PM

Quote:
I hope not, as this will be an extemporaneous presentation, and it is a rehearsal (in my mind) for another presentation on the subject I have been invited to give for the San Francisco Guitar Society in October. I expect to be somewhat more coherent the second time! While I have thought about the subject matter and the points a mean to hit, I have NOT made notes of any sort.
Bruce, do you think it would be possible for those of us who are interested, to be able to get the text of your presentation in Oct.? I for one would really love to hear your thoughts on this subject.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop