The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-07-2013, 04:58 PM

Default Bargain Electric for Practice: Recommendations

Recently got a Martin with an Aura, and have been having a blast using the Apogee Jam and the various amp emulators out there for iPhone and Mac. (If you haven't tried it, I suggest you do; I can make my Martin sound like a Strat being played through a Marshall!)

In any case, now it makes me want an electric so I can play/practice through headphones late at night without waking the baby and Mrs. Not looking to spend a lot of money, and it seems like you can get a nice elec. guitar for much less dough than a nice bargain acoustic. Leaning towards the Fender Squire Standard Strat which has a MAP of $229. (Not sure how much cheaper I could get it for.)

Would love some recommendations.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:26 PM

The only Squire I personally would own is one of the Classic Vibe series. If you can bump up your price even a little, a used Mexican Strat or Tele could become a reality and, by and large, those are better guitars than the Squires. Of course there are exceptions, but this has been my experience.
2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage
2007 Gibson SJ-200 True Vintage
Old 01-07-2013, 05:46 PM

See my thread above.

I just dumped a $1000 electric guitar for a $90 used electric guitar and I am totally happy.

Squier or bullet strat, problem solved.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Glen View Post
The only Squire I personally would own is one of the Classic Vibe series. If you can bump up your price even a little, a used Mexican Strat or Tele could become a reality and, by and large, those are better guitars than the Squires. Of course there are exceptions, but this has been my experience.
Completely agree with the above. Also, I've played more than a few Squires with very problematic necks. If you ended up with one of those, any savings would be negated.

Used MIM is the way to go.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:22 PM

+1 on the Squier. If you can head over to a local GC or Sam Ash and play a few, that may help you choose the model. I think the bullet has a narrower neck than the affinity (or vice-versa). I have an affinity strat and a tele. I love them both.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:04 PM

Default How about one of these?

http://store.apple.com/us/product/HA...ocaster-guitar
Old 01-07-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post
Pretty sure that is the one I played. Seemed fine to me for $200! Being that my other guitar is a Martin GPCPA2, I think I can "slum it" with a Squire.

Steely, when you say "bump it up in price," what are we talking, both in terms of prices and the feature upgrades from Squire to Mexican Strat? I understand the upgrades as you pay more for an acoustic, but all of these electrics look the same to me.

Last edited by Ellington; 01-07-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Oh, just noticed the USB, interesting. I already have the Apogee Jam, so it's not something I need, but it may come in handy.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellington View Post
Pretty sure that is the one I played. Seemed fine to me for $200! Being that my other guitar is a Martin GPCPA2, I think I can "slum it" with a Squire.

Steely, when you say "bump it up in price," what are we talking, both in terms of prices and the feature upgrades from Squire to Mexican Strat? I understand the upgrades as you pay more for an acoustic, but all of these electrics look the same to me.
For around $300, you can get a used Strat. The upgrades in the MIM series over Squires usually revolves around pickups and hardware, not to mention fit and finish. But again, great Squires are out there, as are bum MIMs, but overall, the MIM line is a nicer guitar, IMO.
2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage
Old 01-08-2013, 12:02 AM

I'd also look at used Fender Standard Teles and Strats, but I've also heard good things about Yamaha Pacificas. You may also want to watch for nice used PRS SEs or Reverends, as well.

You may also want to call around to some favorite shops, as a lot have sales on right now. For instance, I've never bought from American Guitar and Band (http://www.americanguitarboutique.com), but I received an e-mail yesterday that, among other things, listed a Squier Classic Vibe 60s on sale for $250. That'd be very tempting.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:02 AM
Guest 429

The Squier Bullet Strats...try a bunch of 'em...get one.

Also, the Squier Classic Vibe 60s Strat...

Last edited by Guest 429; 02-15-2013 at 05:22 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbp0701 View Post
I'd also look at used Fender Standard Teles and Strats, but I've also heard good things about Yamaha Pacificas. You may also want to watch for nice used PRS SEs or Reverends, as well.

You may also want to call around to some favorite shops, as a lot have sales on right now. For instance, I've never bought from American Guitar and Band (http://www.americanguitarboutique.com), but I received an e-mail yesterday that, among other things, listed a Squier Classic Vibe 60s on sale for $250. That'd be very tempting.
A lot of wisdom here ^^^. I have owned a PRS SE singlecut for 3 years now and am consistently wowed by how high quality this guitar is. There isn't a better deal for $400 in electric guitars, IMO. The Classic Vibes are nice too, although the ones I've played have not really overly impressed. I'd rather have an MIM than a Classic Vibe Squire. YMMV.
2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage
Old 01-08-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Ordered this! So many of the reviews I read online from real guitarists, said that they were extremely impressed with build quality and that it feels like a guitar 3x the price. Also, there were a lot of glowing reviews from folks who were very skeptical about the price point and Squire at first, but loved it. Again, it's mostly for practicing, so I think this is perfect and it matches my new Tobacco Burst Martin GPCPA2!

Thanks for the tip, Guitar Army. And to the others, thanks for the advice.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:40 PM

I highly recommend the Sterling by Music Man stuff or even their new Sub series for entry level stuff. The quality and craftsman ship kills anything Fender or any other brand puts out in the same price range. I just bought my 9 year old his first guitar. a Sterling by Music Man Sub Silo3. New they go for $200.00 but I have played more expensive guitars that were not built as well or sounded as good.
Serial #20021210057 (Some where in Canada last known location)
Old 01-08-2013, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

Check out the SX Hawk line from Rondo Music. I have one, (it's like a Strat), and the quality is unbelievable.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars