The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-04-2012, 09:28 AM

Has anyone brought up the option of buying used? Hit up your local guitar store and try their pre-loved options.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJO View Post
Good advice. I am totally lusting after one of these: http://proguitarshop.com/video-revie...wbody#?type=15
Yeah that's a killer sound I'd be scared to play it loud in case I triggered an earthquake.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:18 AM
Guest 429

Would go with a Tele...from Squier...Classic Vibe, Vintage Modified or even the Affinity Special (Butterscotch Blonde).

Last edited by Guest 429; 01-03-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:01 AM

Well all, after the night I wrote this my computer went down. Hard drive..then processor . Lovely power surges. Well here is how my search has gone so far. I was able to read what you all wrote, and it helped me considerably. I didn't go in blind as I did when I bought my first acoustic. Their was no one in the store, and I got to try several models at various prices. I didn't even look at the price just played. Cause everything where I can reach it is not expensive anyways. I am short. haha. After trying three different price ranges of Les pauls, MIM strats, various squiers, the one I found that appealed most to me was the 1950's squier and the Fender Blacktop Strat. Both under my price range, and great for a person with little hands and fingers. That is one of my biggest obstacles with guitars. I loved the sound of the classic squier though over the MIM strat. Don't know why, but to me it had more sustain and for 200 bucks the variation in sound was not enough to warrant buying the 500 dollar strat. They are currently out of stock at my gc, and only had the floor model. In two weeks though they are getting one in, and I have one reserved. I settled on a vox amp 20 watt I believe. It was only I believe 70 more than the 15 watt practice amp with a nice sound. Not too loud, and it had a plug in for a head set to avoid ticking my neighbors off. That is another reason I want to get an electric. They don't seem to appreciate my renditions of various Skynyrd and Cash songs during the day when I am home. I really want to thank you all for helping me have a base to work from this time. My first experience buying was a nightmare as I said in past posts. This time I found what I want, at a great price, and didn't waste my time with some guitar sales man trying to sell me something out of my price or genre preference. You all surely do rock!! Oh and 2012 was a great year for me here. I want to thank you all for helping me on this musical journey of mine, and will probably need to see a plastic surgeon to repair my fingertips by the end of this next year. Merry Christmas to you all!!
Old 12-16-2012, 04:04 AM
Guest 429

JBethany: Glad you found what you liked...and glad you went for the Squier CV Tele...

Last edited by Guest 429; 12-28-2012 at 04:44 AM.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:45 AM

If you like the sound of the shop guitar, check the new one against that and pick the one which sounds more lively and resonant. If there's a difference.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:38 PM

It sounds like you make an great choice. I had read online and heard from three Fender veterans much praise for the Classic Vibe Teles. With only a Strat and a couple of amps, I was in the market but could not find one within 150 miles to try. That included a couple dozen Guitar Centers. I finally found one yesterday in an independent store 40 miles away. About 30 seconds after plugging it in I knew it was leaving with me. The sales guy grinned and noted that my reaction was the norm with that guitar ;-)
Old 01-01-2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjthePhD View Post
Go to a Guitar Center

For the future, keep in mind that GC is precisely the place you don't want to go to buy a guitar as an electric newbie, and the reason is, you may encounter salespeople with less than stellar product knowledge who want to sell you something you may not want. GC salespeople sometimes get spiffs for selling certain guitars, and are encouraged to do so. They also work on what amounts to straight commission, so they can be a bit "strident" in their approach to selling.

Then again, you might find a good GC. It's a crap shoot with them. Every store is different. Some are good, some are terrible. I've had good experiences with GC and very bad ones, but I've been playing electric for over thirty years. I don't need a 19 year old kid advising me what to buy.

I always recommend musicians hit up their independent music stores or guitar shops first. In doing so, you're more likely to find competent salespeople with much more product knowledge. You may want to go to GC to try stuff out, but I'm somewhat anti-big box in general, and like to see people patronizing indie music stores first, because the level of service is generally better, and the prices should be slightly lower than GC in most cases. I would also recommend you take an experienced electric guitarist, perhaps a friend, along with you to help you choose wisely.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:45 AM
Brendan @ Heartbreaker Guitars Brendan @ Heartbreaker Guitars is offline

Some really great input on this thread. my .02 would be to go with a Mexican Strat. Strats are just so versatile. They are light and comfortable on your body, and the tone... Well it's fender tone... hard to go wrong their. My guitar instructor uses a Mex Strat and it plays like a dream! That being said, you have to "try them all out" though! Best of luck!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars