The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-07-2012, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

S2Y/Southpaw, I don't know that I know enough to ask for what I want. Although I was looking at the SH575, SH675 and Frank Gambale models, as they seem to have the guts to play with the Les Paul crowd, but also have Piezo and Midi. Seem like incredibly versatile instruments, also lightweight.

I like their solid body shape, as well, but I don't see any made with a Piezo, which is something I absolutely use; I have a Fender Power Strat (HSS + Piezo) and I play with some folks where the various songs sound better with me playing electric and others where it is better with a more acoustic sound. What we haven't tried, although I plan to, is to use a stereo cable and go into the PA with the acoustic and through the amp with the electric.

Bob, I know what you mean about the sound, but only from YouTube videos. However, they all seem to share a similar sound, but the hollow/semi-hollow slighly larger bodies, like the SH575 have a little more meat, at least to my ears.

They are really nice guitars, and very tempting...

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 11-07-2012, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Decided to do a quick search on eBay, found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CARVIN-DC-40...item19d6926386

Not sure what the reserve is, and there's no Piezo, but it looks like a very nice instrument, if anyone is interested.

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 11-07-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
S2Y/Southpaw, I don't know that I know enough to ask for what I want. Although I was looking at the SH575, SH675 and Frank Gambale models, as they seem to have the guts to play with the Les Paul crowd, but also have Piezo and Midi. Seem like incredibly versatile instruments, also lightweight.

I like their solid body shape, as well, but I don't see any made with a Piezo, which is something I absolutely use; I have a Fender Power Strat (HSS + Piezo) and I play with some folks where the various songs sound better with me playing electric and others where it is better with a more acoustic sound. What we haven't tried, although I plan to, is to use a stereo cable and go into the PA with the acoustic and through the amp with the electric.

Bob, I know what you mean about the sound, but only from YouTube videos. However, they all seem to share a similar sound, but the hollow/semi-hollow slighly larger bodies, like the SH575 have a little more meat, at least to my ears.

They are really nice guitars, and very tempting...
If you wanted a Les Paul-ish guitar with a piezo and MIDI, that shouldn't be too hard from most builders.

My goal would be a 2 pickup, piezo, and MIDI version of this.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawGuy View Post
I have a Holdsworth model and a CT6. The Holdsworth is 25 1/2" scale with a big chunky D shaped neck, 20" radius, two octave neck, ebony board. It's also semi hollow and weighs 6 1/2lbs. The CT6 has 22 frets with mahogany body / maple cap mahogany neck with ebony board, not sure of the radius on that one. The necks feel very different on both although as far as I'm aware they're both larger than the standard Carvin neck profile. The neck on the CT6 isn't thin.

The Holdsworth is totally stock and the CT has Duncan P-Rails and triple shot switching.
i currently have p-rails in my holdsworth model.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:57 AM

I like my 1986 Carvin solid body well enough to not have bought another electric since. Carvin makes high quality stuff at great prices.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:29 AM

I've had two of their kit guitars and two others, a CT and an AE185.

The necks are different on the different models. For a long time they were known for shredder necks but about 10 or so years ago moved away from that. The CT and AE necks remind me of Gibsons. The bolt ons are unique and feel like a good crossover for someone who plays acoustic. The Holdsworth are fat and flat.

Lots of folk don't care for their pickups. Personally, I like the single coil and the Holdsworth pups but haven't heard any others that floated my boat.

The kit guitars are AMAZING bang for the buck. I have also done a partscaster with high end parts, neck from Warmoth, body from USA Custom, top of the line hardware and electronics, and liked a Carvin kit better. Sold the high end partscaster and the first Carvin kit and got a second one, which I like even more. About 10 years ago I was toying with picking up an electric and looked at strat type guitars. I couldn't find anything I liked in my price range but fell in love with a couple of boutique guitars that I couldn't afford. When I saw the specs of the Carvin, I decided to give it a shot - and really was thrilled. The wood parts are top quality and perfectly shaped. The hardware was mid grade but fine. The pups are what they are. I highly recommend the kits.

As was said, they do not hold their prices well and the kit guitars drop even more. They are doing better now than they used to though.
that's me on guitar
Old 11-12-2012, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Royd. Very, very tempting!!

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 01-02-2013, 08:11 PM

I bought a Carvin electric 12 string in '84. All Koa - two piece body and one koa set neck. I replaced the butt ugly Radio Shack knobs and replaced the pickups with new Carvins in 2003. It has been played quite a bit and has held up well.

Veillette Baritone 6
Veillette Baritone 12
Veillette Terz 6
Veillette Terz 12 (in progress)
Veillette Gryphon 12
Taylor 614ce
Taylor 654ce
Old 01-02-2013, 09:24 PM

What people say about Carvin guitars having low resale value is sadly true. I have never owned one and probably wouldn't, although I get the catalogs in the mail and always look them over. The guitars look very nice, but don't have that "wow" factor I look for. I did call them once to discuss the possibility of having one built, but nixed the idea when they refused to add a second volume control to the model I was interested in. It was a Les Paul style guitar. I just bought a Les Paul instead. Then another. Then another. You get the idea. Why buy a Ford when you really want a Cadillac?

I'm very much a tradionalist when it comes to electric guitars. I like the iconic designs from the 50's and 60's best; Gibson, Fender, Gretsch, Guild, Vox, Supro, National, Rickenbacker, and the cheesy Japanese and Italian pawnshop prizes, etc. Anything out of that realm is outside my wheelhouse.

My bro-in-law owns a Strat-like Carvin with a quilted top. It's a good playing guitar, but rather generic, IMO, and he's now decided to sell it. I'm afraid he's going to take a financial bath. I prefer chunky necks, and his Carvin's neck is like a toothpick.

If this is your dream guitar and you're sure it's something you'll keep, then go for it. Just don't say you weren't warned.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars