The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-16-2019, 01:25 PM

Default NGD Yamaha FGX5

Initial thoughts:

*Out of the box the action is about perfect
*Acoustic sound is exactly what you would want a mahogany dreadnaught to sound like: big sound, bassy, lots of sustain, highs that cut through
*Build quality/attention to detail is not 100% flawless, but probably about 98%
*Atmosfeel pickups far exceed my expectations; I cannot wait to gig with it

I plan on doing a more thorough review after I have a chance to change out the Elixirs for my usual strings (D'Addario Nickel bronze 12-53).

Please give the (mp3 to) YouTube a listen to hear Atmosfeel for yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx3z...ature=youtu.be
Old 07-16-2019, 01:31 PM

these are great, easy playing, big sounding, dynamic.

nice one
Old 07-16-2019, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

YEEhaw. These are such satisfying sounding playing guitars. Have fun.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

Sounds great- many congrats and enjoy!
PRS SE P20E Parlor
Martin Backpacker
Old 07-17-2019, 10:31 PM

Very interested in this guitar. What sound would you compare it to. A Yamaha fg830, a Martin? Gibson? How is the finger spacing for fingerstyle?
Old 07-17-2019, 11:48 PM

Great review! Your speaking voice sounds like a pro...do you have any review with your singing in them too? Let us hear it...
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 07-18-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopla View Post
Very interested in this guitar. What sound would you compare it to. A Yamaha fg830, a Martin? Gibson? How is the finger spacing for fingerstyle?
With the 1 3/4" nut, the string spacing should be good for fingerstyle play. The voicing is similar to an FG830, just maybe a more pronounced mid range, a little more bass, and though not as bright, the upper frequencies ring out well. I am well pleased with the acoustic sound of the guitar, as well as the plugged in tone.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool555 View Post
Great review! Your speaking voice sounds like a pro...do you have any review with your singing in them too? Let us hear it...
Thank you for your kind words. After I get some other strings on it I will do a recording with me singing and playing and list a link to this thread.
Old 07-18-2019, 04:34 PM

Nice, I've been waiting for more reviews about these, I'm eyeing up the FGX3 for my next purchase down the road a year or two.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
Thank you for your kind words. After I get some other strings on it I will do a recording with me singing and playing and list a link to this thread.
Not to misdirect this thread but how do you like your Ibanez AW54 ?? I played one last weekend at GC and I thought it sounded better than a lot of guitars I tried out..
Old 07-18-2019, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
Not to misdirect this thread but how do you like your Ibanez AW54 ?? I played one last weekend at GC and I thought it sounded better than a lot of guitars I tried out..
PM sent. Do you still have a new red label?
Old 07-18-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
PM sent. Do you still have a new red label?
Waiting on the FG3
Old 07-24-2019, 09:10 AM

What settings work best for strumming?
BTW is the "Bass EQ" knob the "sheet sensor"?
Old 07-24-2019, 09:41 AM

If possible, for heavy strumming with a medium or hard pick, trying to get away from the piezo quack (which is minimal even set to full piezo), have the blend knob set all the way to mic. Combining that with the bass eq, you'll need to watch for feedback. The PA system or amp will greatly determine how much the mic can be blended in. Yamaha supplies a soundhole cover, which I haven't tried yet, to help fight feedback. With the mic blender all the way to the mic side and the bass eq at 12 o'clock or more, the guitar is much more prone to feedback. For now, I'm going to start with both the bass eq and the mic blend at around 1 o'clock. That seems to give me the tone I like.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:39 PM

Thanks.

I listened to your video and it sounds good to me, but nothing that's going to make me trade in my Anthem system. It does sound better than most piezo's but I was expecting a little more full and lush sound from a 3-way system. I think Cole Clark's system still has it beat. Don't get me wrong, it's very good...but there still are some systems out there I believe sound better.

Quote:
If possible, for heavy strumming with a medium or hard pick, trying to get away from the piezo quack (which is minimal even set to full piezo), have the blend knob set all the way to mic. Combining that with the bass eq, you'll need to watch for feedback. The PA system or amp will greatly determine how much the mic can be blended in. Yamaha supplies a soundhole cover, which I haven't tried yet, to help fight feedback. With the mic blender all the way to the mic side and the bass eq at 12 o'clock or more, the guitar is much more prone to feedback. For now, I'm going to start with both the bass eq and the mic blend at around 1 o'clock. That seems to give me the tone I like.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion