The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-17-2019, 08:35 PM

Default Today's String Round-up on different guitars

I didn't remember which strings were on my Taylor 614ce (2011) and they were getting a bit long in the tooth (for me), probably 6 weeks. When I pulled them off I could tell by the ball ends that they were Straight Up Strings 12's (lights). They actually still sounded quite good, but I was itching to try some D'Addario Nickel Bronze strings that had in the drawer.

Well... The NB's went on and even though I know they have that first day zinginess I could tell they simply didn't do anything for the 614. I couldn't take it. The NB's had to come off the 614. So I pulled the NB's off of the 614 and put them on the D35.
My Martin D35 had some Gibson Masterbuilt PB's for some time now, maybe 5 weeks and was still sounding good. But I remember that I liked the NB's on it. The NB's sound a heck of a lot better on the D35 than on the 614. A little bright, but it's day 1. I expect to keep them on the D35 for a week or two but gigs start back again Aug 2nd and I'll decide which guitar and which strings for my August dates. I've still got a few sets of DR Sunbeams and those will probably go back on. I'll have to review the NB's after they have time to settle on the D35. Right now, while the NB's sound pretty good new, I' wouldn't take them out this fresh.

So what now for the 614??? I had a new set of Gibson Masterbuilt PB's in the drawer that I had in reserve. I had tried them on my 814ceDLX and they were good for about 2 weeks and then it was time to change. So the 614 got the new Gibson PB's.

First, I have to say, that even on day one, in the first few minutes these Gibson Masterbuilt PB strings sound outstanding on my 614. What will they sound like in 2 days? 2 weeks? I don't know. But if I had to go gig them tonight I'd be happy as a clam. So far I haven't put them on any of my guitars and not liked them.

As long as I'm talking about the matchup of guitars and strings, I want to report that my 814ceDLX got strung about a week or so ago with Elixir 12-56's. I had done comparison recordings of my rosewood guitars and some thought (as did I ) that it sounded a little thin. The heavier lower strings focused the fundamentals and tamped down some unwanted extra overtones/harmonics. A much better blend and thicker sound.

But I have to say once again, that the one set of strings that seems to stand out, no matter which guitar I put them on are the Gibson Masterbuilt PB's.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 07-17-2019, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

I’m on a very similar journey. Been trying a ridiculous number of strings on my new Breedlove Sitka/hog concert. Recently had medium SUS and they sounded and felt great. I too got impatient after 3weeks and put the nickel bronze on because I’ve liked them on other guitars. They sounded just ok. So yesterday I went back to Sunbeams which sound great on this guitar. I’ve tried enough strings to hopefully be happy alternating between Sunbeams and SUS. Although I do have a set of Ernie ball aluminum bronze.....
Edit: One thing that surprised me is I found the SUS mediums sounded much fuller and felt better to me than Santa Cruz low tension.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T

Last edited by Lillis; 07-17-2019 at 09:03 PM.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:15 PM

Wondering why you didn't try the Sunbeams on the 614ce?

I have them on my Epiphone EJ-200 and the rosewood jumbo my nephew-in-law built for me and they are superb on both - planning to try them on my maple H&D MJ Custom when the JP Pure Nickels get a little more wear on them.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 07-18-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillis View Post
I’m on a very similar journey. Been trying a ridiculous number of strings on my new Breedlove Sitka/hog concert. Recently had medium SUS and they sounded and felt great. I too got impatient after 3weeks and put the nickel bronze on because I’ve liked them on other guitars. They sounded just ok. So yesterday I went back to Sunbeams which sound great on this guitar. I’ve tried enough strings to hopefully be happy alternating between Sunbeams and SUS. Although I do have a set of Ernie ball aluminum bronze.....
Edit: One thing that surprised me is I found the SUS mediums sounded much fuller and felt better to me than Santa Cruz low tension.
The SUS inner strings are a bit lighter than the SC's of similar tension and I believe the low E is .053 vs .056 (I don't have correct data on hand right now). The "fullness" that people often perceive are "resultant harmonics" that are created across a string set. Lighter strings produce more of those than do heavier strings. So the middle strings would probably be producing more overtones with the SUS strings on your particular guitar and the body of your instrument is probably responding to those frequencies as well. In my tests I've found them both to be similar in most respects, but if you hear a difference then great- especially because SUS strings are 1/2 the price of SC's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Wondering why you didn't try the Sunbeams on the 614ce?
I had Sunbeams on the 614 months ago. Not the sound I was looking for with that instrument.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 07-18-2019, 01:47 PM

Default UPDATE

Day 2
The nickel bronze on the D35 have settled in a bit more. I'm realizing why I liked them before on this instrument. They make it a bit less deep and a bit more articulate than with the other strings. If I need it to cut through more these would be a really good choice for this D35. But this is a special instrument. I haven't put one set of strings on it that made it sound bad. The way the 614 is sounding with the Gibsons, it's almost like a mini D35. The Gibson strings have a nice dark warm, round sound to them. But even after a month they still sounded decent on the D35.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

The SUS inner strings are a bit lighter than the SC's of similar tension and I believe the low E is .053 vs .056 (I don't have correct data on hand right now). The "fullness" that people often perceive are "resultant harmonics" that are created across a string set. Lighter strings produce more of those than do heavier strings. So the middle strings would probably be producing more overtones with the SUS strings on your particular guitar and the body of your instrument is probably responding to those frequencies as well. In my tests I've found them both to be similar in most respects, but if you hear a difference then great- especially because SUS strings are 1/2 the price of SC's

Thanks,that seems to make sense. On a side note I might need an intervention because I can’t stop ordering strings! Because of your reviews,I just ordered a set of Gibson MB PB. I guess there are worse habits. This Breedlove sounds amazing with the right strings,I should probably stop while I’m ahead.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T

Last edited by Lillis; 07-18-2019 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillis View Post
Thanks,that seems to make sense. On a side note I might need an intervention because I can’t stop ordering strings! Because of your reviews,I just ordered a set of Gibson MB PB. I guess there are worse habits. This Breedlove sounds amazing with the right strings,I should probably stop while I’m ahead.
You're going to love those Gibson strings. I'm sure you're starting to find that one set will be like chocolate and another like vanilla, but both being good. For me a lot of the string selection (and satisfaction) comes down to how one of my three (hanging) acoustics compare to one another. At least you're only comparing your Breedlove to itself, which is probably a blessing.

I had interesting experience just today. You probably know I experiment with bridge pins quite a bit. My preference almost always seems to be a buffalo horn pin in the 6th slot. I had recently changed strings on my 814ceDLX to Elixir 12-56's. Just for the heck of it, to actually see if I could WRECK the sound, I put buffalo pins in the D and G strings. It did bring out the mids and I thought it was cool. But then, after restringing my 614 I realized that, while very, very subtle, I had drained a lot of the warmth out of the set. I put the ebony set back and the warmth of the 814 returned.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:13 AM

I seem to have reached a similar place to you with string choices - I have narrowed my favourites down to Gibson MB PB, Sunbeams, Newtones and Daddario NB’s - I seem to rotate and prefer some on some guitars, but generally they all work well for me.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 07-19-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
I seem to have reached a similar place to you with string choices - I have narrowed my favourites down to Gibson MB PB, Sunbeams, Newtones and Daddario NB’s - I seem to rotate and prefer some on some guitars, but generally they all work well for me.
Those Gibson strings are really something. I forgot which forum member did the 15 string shoot-out, but those were the strings that stood out in every excerpt.

What I have yet to determine is which guitars these should be the go-to strings on. They sounded great on my 814ceDLX for about 2 weeks, and while still sounding ok they seem to have lost something at that point and it was time to change the strings. However after a month on my D35 they still sounded great. I did not continue with them on the D35 only because Iwanted to test NB's once again on that guitar, but did put a set on the 614 and they sound awesome... almost to the point where it calls into question having two Taylors, even while one is maple and the other RW.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
Those Gibson strings are really something. I forgot which forum member did the 15 string shoot-out, but those were the strings that stood out in every excerpt.

What I have yet to determine is which guitars these should be the go-to strings on. They sounded great on my 814ceDLX for about 2 weeks, and while still sounding ok they seem to have lost something at that point and it was time to change the strings. However after a month on my D35 they still sounded great. I did not continue with them on the D35 only because Iwanted to test NB's once again on that guitar, but did put a set on the 614 and they sound awesome... almost to the point where it calls into question having two Taylors, even while one is maple and the other RW.

Yep - that shoot out, followed by your review was what prompted me to order a few sets.

So far I have only had them on my G23 cedar topped Furch, which has been quite a challenging guitar to get the best out of from a string perspective, but the Gibsons bring the best out of it - warm but not lacking clarity.

I will be trying them on my OM24 Sitka top next.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion