The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-17-2019, 08:04 PM

Thank you Wade, that's very nice of you. I have elected to use the strap for about a year now, so I wouldn't feel right in returning it, but it's good to know that they are willing to stand behind the product and offer replacements if anything is amiss.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:27 PM

I have talked to Amazon, and started a straight refund.
But if Walker & William' Wade knows there's a bad batch, and they'll fix it all, I think I'll do that. Gives them a chance to avoid a customer thinking they make sub par stuff and could make me a fan for life...
Old 07-17-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colder View Post
Thank you Wade, that's very nice of you. I have elected to use the strap for about a year now, so I wouldn't feel right in returning it, but it's good to know that they are willing to stand behind the product and offer replacements if anything is amiss.
Man, I wouldn't feel bad about returning it at all. The Company has acknowledged faulty materials and a good strap should last for YEARS and get better with age. I have a W&W strap and it is great. They want happy customers. Just my opinion of course but I would give them a chance to make it right.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRS View Post
Ordered a W & W G series pro guitar strap, G-16, via Amazon. Had it for a couple of days and it is flaking badly, just from adjusting the strap to size. Haven't even put it on the guitar. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by colder View Post
... I have elected to use the strap for about a year now, so I wouldn't feel right in returning it,...
So, while it seems you're not looking for a solution to the strap dilemma, I'm sorry you got a strap you aren't happy with - but have you had it a couple of days or a year? If it's been a year, I'm totally confused with the original post.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:16 PM

Those are two different people you quoted there, not one person telling an inconsistent story.

whm
Old 07-17-2019, 10:56 PM

Oh crud. I'm getting old or tired. ...... or both.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
So, while it seems you're not looking for a solution to the strap dilemma, I'm sorry you got a strap you aren't happy with - but have you had it a couple of days or a year? If it's been a year, I'm totally confused with the original post.
I've had mine for a year or so. It started to wear faster than I expected at the bottom end, perhaps because I was putting it over a larger end pin jack (LR Baggs VTC) most of the time. But since I spent less than $30 and it still works ok when there's a cable plugged into the jack, I didn't bother returning it. Not really a big deal. I'll probably just buy a high end strap next time that I can keep forever and be done with it.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludere View Post
Hey Wade,
I have a two year old GE Profile refrigerator that has stopped making ice ... can you help?

:}
We have the same issue with our LG.
Not even Wade can help.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-18-2019, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludere View Post
Hey Wade,
I have a two year old GE Profile refrigerator that has stopped making ice ... can you help?

:}
What's the problem; that's normal.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:45 AM

Walker & Williams is one of those small companies where if you call them a human being with actual knowledge and interest in your satisfaction actually picks up the phone and answers. I've had the need to call them twice for purchase advice and was always treated very well and guided to the right product.

I currently have a G-13 and for under $30 is an excellent strap. The one issue that I experienced was that the inner liner was too smooth and the strap slid around. I used 100 grit sand paper and a very light touch to rough up the inner surface just enough so it wouldn't slide around on my shoulder. You can't tell by looking. No flaking, btw.

Being an inexpensive strap I found it a bit stiff at first and cosmetically I also found it a little plain. Working it in not only softened it, but created a beautiful texture in the outer leather that wasn't present when it came out of the packaging. FWIW, I wouldn't have done this if the strap weren't good enough to work with. It is one of my favorite straps and I've been very happy with it and would not hesistate to buy another W&W strap.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 07-18-2019, 10:00 AM

All I got is: every time I see this thread I think you're talking about Walker & Weeks ............... and trying to figure out what thay had to do with guitar straps..........................

Last edited by Jeff Scott; 07-18-2019 at 02:50 PM.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRS View Post
Ordered a W & W G series pro guitar strap, G-16, via Amazon. Had it for a couple of days and it is flaking badly, just from adjusting the strap to size. Haven't even put it on the guitar.

I'm surprised after all the good press here. The backing, which is supposed to be "glove soft leather" shows all the hallmarks of "bonded" leather, that chopped up leather fiber and vinyl spray-on mix used for cheap "leather" chairs and couches. It flaking off badly every time I touch it. What has happened? Walker & Williams counterfeits?
Take a big bite out of it, and send it back. Don't swallow however.
Old 07-20-2019, 06:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
We have the same issue with our LG.

Not even Wade can help.

... a sad day indeed ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
What's the problem; that's normal.

... an unfortunate but accurate observation. when I bought my first house, it came with “builder grade” appliances. Presumably sub-par, and yet they performed for 6 or 7 years without a hitch ... then we moved, and “upgraded” to higher-end appliances (at no small expense); and we had more trouble in the first two years with them than I can count.
Luckily covered by home warranty but c’mon ... seriously? Triple the price and 1/3 the life?

To the OP; apologies for the hijack, but I trust your strap woes are now being resolved ... ?

~ Paul

Old 07-21-2019, 11:45 AM

Default Problem is resolved. Walker and Williams customer support is superb.

So, update to the original (by the original poster, there seems to be a little confuse with another poster talking about his issues )

After Wade call W&W and found they know of this problem and would like to fix it, I used the W&W site contact form to get in touch. Since I detailed the issue, the response was pretty quick. First an email apologizing, acknowledge of the issue as part of a bad batch that slipped by, and an offer to do an exchange. Before I even respond there was a second email notifying me a shipment of the replacement strap was on it's via first class postage. Three days for shipment (norm for California to Florida shipment) and the new strap arrives, with a prepaid return included for the defective strap.

And the new strap backing was way better. Feels like it will stand up to wear and tear of use. The backing layer of the original was paper thin and dry feeling. Very likely its been on the shelves for a couple of years or more, with the defective materials instantaneously starting crumpling when I opened it up and flexed it adjusting the length. The original face side was great, so appearance there was never a problem. Anyway, everything turned out ok, and I'll be keeping the strap, hopefully for quite a few years.

Kuddos to Customer Support at Walker & Williams for no-hassle problem solving. First time customer, and I'll happily pass along recommendations for others to give them a try.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:17 PM

Glad to hear it. As I've stated previously, I've been very happy with Walker & Williams, both with their straps and the phone conversations I've had with Griffin, the operations manager of the Walker & Williams division that makes musical instrument straps.

All's well that ends well.

Wade Hampton Miller

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion