The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-23-2018, 06:55 PM

Default Hint - Compensating for a Slight hearing loss

My left ear is not great, my right ear is ok. I don't need hearing aids yet (I've been tested)The problem is, that unless I play in a lively room or hear a recording, I seem to not hear everything I'm playing (and some of the things that I've been playing that I should not!).

Watching videos over the last few months of Reverend Gary Davis and his student Ernie Hawkins, I noticed that they both tipped the guitar up at an angle. Wow, what a difference! I don't know if either of them suffered with hearing loss, but in the pictures of RGD, I see the guitar tipping further upward as he got older. I understand that the Gibson is a big guitar, but the trick worked nicely with my Bourgeois 00.

rgd.jpg ernie.jpg

IMO, the secret to improvement is fine-tuning that neural loop your ears make to the brain and back to the fingers. Each part if that chain is essential - after awhile you know what you want to hear and you figure out what you need to do to make it happen.

So this worked for me.

Rick
Old 09-23-2018, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

I have a Zoom H5 and I can plug headphones into it and hear myself playing, even when not recording . I'm not saying to run out and spend $280 on a recorder, but there are less expensive recorders out there I'm sure that have plug in monitoring that works even when not recording. So then you could hold the guitar in a normal position and hear yourself play using a recording setup, but without actually recording. You can also buy an extension cord for the headphone wire (I did).

I use a set of Beats that my son used to use (now he's using wireless), but those "ear buds" things work just as well and with those you can wear just one and they don't get your ears over heated either.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-24-2018, 03:59 AM

Tipping the guitar back is not good for your left hand, unfortunately - unless you also hold the neck quite high (check pics of Freddie Green ) - which means you probably also need a strap while seated.
If you want to hear better what you're playing (without mic/phones assistance), you can play facing a wall, or ideally a corner. It's said that Robert Johnson sat facing a corner when making his recordings, and people thought he was just shy (or was jealously hiding his chord shapes). More likely he just wanted to hear himself clearly.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:01 AM

Good points Jon - I just tried the technique last night and was surprised at the difference. As for Freddie, my guess is that this helped him hear with a loud band surrounding him. For anyone reading, here's Freddie playing:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg freddie (Small).jpg (25.6 KB, 73 views)

Last edited by srick; 09-24-2018 at 04:28 AM.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I have a Zoom H5 and I can plug headphones into it and hear myself playing, even when not recording . I'm not saying to run out and spend $280 on a recorder, but there are less expensive recorders out there I'm sure that have plug in monitoring that works even when not recording. So then you could hold the guitar in a normal position and hear yourself play using a recording setup, but without actually recording. You can also buy an extension cord for the headphone wire (I did).

I use a set of Beats that my son used to use (now he's using wireless), but those "ear buds" things work just as well and with those you can wear just one and they don't get your ears over heated either.
I have been using a Blue Yeti mic (around $100) in front of my guitar with my headphones plugged directly into it. No need to record, and I can hear myself play and sing the way others hear it. It's a revelation.

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)
Old 09-25-2018, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDee View Post
I have been using a Blue Yeti mic (around $100) in front of my guitar with my headphones plugged directly into it. No need to record, and I can hear myself play and sing the way others hear it. It's a revelation.
Sunny - I never knew that the Yeti had a headphone output. That's a set-up I would like! I had thought about this before, but it would have involved hooking up the iPad, starting a record program, etc. etc. when all I wanted was a direct line. Great idea!

Rick

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write