The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 09-24-2013, 04:31 PM

Depending on the qualities of the particular guitar, I like playing classical pieces on some acoustic archtops. I play both fingerstyle and with hybrid picking, because I like the difference in tone.

It probably started out as a way to practice fingerings and see what was possible, but now I really like the sound of some pieces on an archtop. The most difficult part is being careful not to leave strings ringing.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:20 AM

Hybrid picking,that`s as new one.sound`s neat.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:04 AM

Default Archtop

Steve Kimock
Old 10-06-2013, 07:59 AM

Although my choice is to play jazz as much as possible, I find it easy to play any type of music on an archtop. I regularly practice classical, the few pop tunes I recall from early on, and of course, jazz.

Since my archtop is carved and has PB strings (which I adjusted the pickups to work well with), it also has a very nice acoustic tone.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:38 AM

I just recently got a Fischer B Imperial made by Harmony. I have been playing everything on it !
But It pretty much decides what it wants to play!!!
Old 11-28-2013, 04:52 PM

Default Acoustic Archtop

I've used an acoustic archtop for years.

I play in a praise/worship band for the last 20 years. I used to use a Martin R-18, but now use a Martin C-1.

The round hole archtops are like an in-between flat-top & archtop. The C-1 is a round hole archtop.

They're good when playing with a band when someone else is carrying the bass. They have their own ground when playing with other guitarist too.

Their notes are more singular and you lose the blend-through/cross-over notes that you get with a flat-top.

They feel a little raw and edgy,

I often feel with Martin flat-tops,(and let me say that they're my personal faves), that they don't like to be played crazy aggressively. The Martin archtops, don't complain and will get gritty if you want to.

They also, on some notes, have a little banjo-like twang, but you can manage the twang with playing style.

I've also played some Kays and Harmony's acoustically, but only found them useful when playing with other guitarist to establish my own ground.

Hope this helps
Old 11-28-2013, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

I use my 1928 L-3 for country and blues. It's got a very sweet voice, especially for leads.

My recently acquired 1951 ES-125 is great for rockabilly. I play it acoustically around the house, and plugged in jamming with friends. I haven't gigged with it yet, but I have used my 125T live with good results. Those P90 pickups are fanstastic...
My guitars include Gibsons, Martins, Fenders, and others
Old 11-29-2013, 10:48 AM

I use my Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin II for fingerstyle - it is my only "electric" guitar - I like it for variety of sound... :-)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops