The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-11-2013, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

Default HELP Wiring Unusual Tele Switch

I desoldered a switch out of my SX Furrian, (A Tele clone), and I can't figure out how to get it back. I was doing a mod that didn't work and I have to reverse it back to original.

In short, the typical box switch with the soldering lugs on one side has 8 of those lugs. This one only has 7, plus a lug coming off each side of the switch. The importer is trying to get me a wiring diagram from the manufacturer, but if that doesn't work, I'm stuck unless I simply buy a new switch of more common design.

I'm guessing there has to be a scientific approach that says if the switch is at a particular position, wiring has to follow some common sensical approach to where it goes, but I'm not figuring this out easily.

Can anyone help... PRETTY PLEASE???

Thanks,
Dennis

Old 01-11-2013, 05:16 PM

You may want to post this on TDPRI forum.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:06 PM
Charter Member

Just did Steve... Sometimes they get a bit too much into just the Fender brand and this switch is so uncommon I don't hold out much hope unless I find someone like Peegoo in the Fender Forum who sort of knows the theory behind what wiring needs to address each switch position, so you just build around it that way.

I can only wait and see, or order a more normal switch to put in it next week.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:11 PM

Okay, there is a way to reverse engineer the switch, but it will take some time. There should be one or two lugs that are always hot. That is, no matter what position the switch is in they are connected to at least one other lug. Do you have a digital multimeter? Basically your switch can connect neck, bridge, or both to the common lug. It turns into some time spent figuring out which pins are connected in each position. Most switches are setup so that the each side of the switch services signal, the other grounds. Were the grounds connected separately to their own lugs or all bridged together? And can you post a pic of the switch?

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 01-11-2013, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

Here's the switch. If you look closely, there are 7 lugs across the top. The one farthest left is somewhat obscured by a wire coning up from behind it.

Also note the lug coming off each side of the switch. One of them was used.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

I wonder... Most 8 lug switches go 12300123 across them. Could this one go 1230123 and the side lug be the other 0 ?

Old 01-11-2013, 09:22 PM

It could very well be. Should be easy to confirm with a meter or test light. The lug on the body was probably for a ground lead. Where does the wire on the left lug go to? And is that a two or three pickup guitar? Google was not finding a terrible lot of info on these guitars, sorry.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 01-11-2013, 09:36 PM

Did some web research for a little while while I was painting a pedal kit box. Several results said to try neck to 1 and 2, bridge to 6 and 7, and 3 and 4 are the output. Should be easy to confirm with a continuity or ohmmeter. A few people have found these 7 pin switches in Chinese Tele clones.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 01-11-2013, 09:37 PM
Charter Member

One of the guys at the Telecaster Forum has a similar guitar with the same design of switch and he sent me a drawing he found somewhere on the web. It wasn't 100% necessary in that I didn't have to ground things as extensively as it showed, but the way it divided the 7 lugs and bridges across them worked perfectly. I think the drawing might have even been a simpler way that how it was actually done originally.

Doncha just love the internet?

Old 01-11-2013, 10:03 PM
Charter Member

Clintj - It was similar to what you had in mind. It had each hot pickup wire go to 2-3 in one case and 5-6 in the other case.

A wire from 4 went to the first lug on the volume pot and that was it. I had a hum and the first thing I've always heard is to try reversing the jack wires. I did and everything is quiet now. It's perfect!

Oh - Bill Lawrence pickups didn't hurt anything either.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:13 PM

I think you can surely figure it out by trial and error, but if it were me, I'd order a more conventional switch. Those cheap import switches go out a lot and for just a little more money, I'd just feel better with a Fender switch.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:15 PM
Charter Member

The guitar works fine right now, but I did order some switches anyway. Unfortunately, a real Fender switch won't fit the rout in the body. It's too shallow for the depth of the switch.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:54 PM

Yup, internet's an awesome place! Amazing what happens when you get a large enough group of people together, isn't it? Glad you're back in business.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars