The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-20-2012, 11:21 AM

The newer MIM's are getting much better in quality than those in the past.

A friend has been a Fender retailer for many years and he tells me 90% of the Standard Model MIM's are as nice, sometimes nicer, than the USA Standard models. Two years ago that number was around 50%, or less.

Another friend of mine recently picked up a MIM 5 String Jazz and gave it to me to set it up. The thing was as nice as any equivalent USA Jazz 5 I've played.

It was easier to dial in solid tone on this bass than it was on my Lakland DJ5 which costs 3x more.

As long as you can check it out before buying I would definitely recommend looking at the MIM stuff.

FWIW...

Old 12-20-2012, 03:58 PM

Another option are is the Squire Classic Vibe Tele ... my buddy has one and they're great guitars. Less expensive then the MIM teles. I think they're made in China, or somewhere in Asia, as opposed to Mexico. Again, a pickup upgrade would help out too.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:04 PM
Guest 429

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Another option are is the Squire Classic Vibe Tele ... my buddy has one and they're great guitars. Less expensive then the MIM teles. I think they're made in China, or somewhere in Asia, as opposed to Mexico. Again, a pickup upgrade would help out too.
My favorite Teles these days are Squiers...starting with the Affinity Specials...The Fender Tele truly in a class of it own? The Nocaster.

My favorite Strats are also in Squier...

Last edited by Guest 429; 02-14-2013 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:31 PM

I've got a standard MIM strat from about 2005 and love it. Pickup upgrades aren't essential though. I still have the stock pups in, and I get some terrific tones. The only mods I've done are to install a larger trem block and tusq nut. I also moved the tone control to the bridge pup.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:46 AM

Thanks for all the advice everyone. The feeling i'm getting is that the mex teles are not a bad deal for the money. Since posting i have watched a few videos and the squire models are sometimes great sounding. I am also pleased to here that the fit and finish of the mex is as good if not better than usa models in some cases. I currently play a gibson acoustic and have had many. Some of the ones i have had in the past were not the best in terms of fit and finish so i can understand that money doesnt always equal quality. What are the main differences between a usa and a mex?
Old 12-22-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Ray View Post
What are the main differences between a usa and a mex?
My opinions ...

In general:

Price
Features
Pups &/or hardware
Feel

Now in regards to why I ended up with one MIM Tele, I like the price, it has the features I want, the pups sound very good (and classic) and it has a nice feel of its own ... as for features, in the deluxe MIMs you can get some pretty good offerings for a nice price ...

It boils down to a personal decision ... you have to play them side by side and determine if the additional cost is worth the perceived extra value you are getting ... does the USA model give you twice to three times the satisfaction of a MIM?

For some very simple demos of original music: https://soundcloud.com/rick-langdon

-- Play on!!
Old 12-22-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton View Post
The Blacktop Tele is more in line with MIM Standard Series which in my opinion is a lower level of instrument quality and detail. It is by no means a bad guitar, just not up to the level that the Classic Series instruments obtain.
Maybe that's why I had such positive experience with the MIM model, the ones I played were from the "Classic Player" series. If there is some lower "Standard Series", which perhaps were the first ones that came out from there, that would explain some of the negative perceptions some people seem to have.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
You can get some great deals on a used MIM Fender tele. All I recommend is upgrading the pickups. What is just as important as the guitar, or even more, is the quality of the amp. What amp will you be using?
I onlu have a practise amp at the moment at home. A peavey 15 watt but we also do studio practise and i aint sure what amps they have
Old 12-22-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Hi folks. Can anyone offer me any advice atall about the fender standard mexican guitars. I am currently looking at a telecaster. I play acoustic and understand differences in wood for tone etc. Does this have equal importance with electric? I would rather not by entry level and these guitars seem good to me for the price. Any advice at all would be great. Even just an opinion about quality of build and components etc

Ray
Ray, I am not a big Fender fan. I don't like their quality or other things about them. If your looking at going electric, one of the best guitars you can buy for the money are the Sterling by Music Man guitars or even the Sterling by Music Man Sub series guitars. I absolutely love the Music Man guitars nad basses but their more affordable counter part are both excellent guitars for the money. In fact, I just bought my youngest son a Sub Silo 3 for Christmas because he wants to learn how to play. The Silo line is also very comparable to a Strat but I think sounds and plays much better, is also much easier to set up and has much better quality built into it.
Jay
Serial #20021210057 (Some where in Canada last known location)
Old 12-23-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice everyone. The feeling i'm getting is that the mex teles are not a bad deal for the money. Since posting i have watched a few videos and the squire models are sometimes great sounding. I am also pleased to here that the fit and finish of the mex is as good if not better than usa models in some cases. I currently play a gibson acoustic and have had many. Some of the ones i have had in the past were not the best in terms of fit and finish so i can understand that money doesnt always equal quality. What are the main differences between a usa and a mex?
Generally the main differences are 1.) fit and finish 2.) hardware 3.) electronics. MIM Fenders are great guitars - very nice and playable guitars for the money, and there are a variety of models and colors to choose from! Easily upgradable as well. Go to your local store, play some, and choose the one that plays best and sounds best to you. You wont be disappointed.

As far as fit and finish, generally you will find that the MIMs usually could use a little attention to frets (levelling, sharper edges) but usually nothing that a good setup won't take care of. Hardware/electronics wise the MIMs usually have cheaper tuners, a lighter weight pot metal bridge, and good electronics. My MIM strat had a 3 piece body, satin maple neck with a few blemishes in it (doesn't affect playability and gives it some character to me) and CTS pots. It sounded great and was lots of fun to play! It is one guitar that I will never sell.

Strats are also easily upgraded if that sort of thing suits you. I recently wired mine up like a Highway One strat, Texas Special pickups, Callaham bridge and tuners for better sustain, LSR roller nut, new switch and I shielded the electronics cavities. Next up will be a fret levelling job.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:07 AM

I had replied back earlier and have been reading the responses.
Someone else mentioned the Squire Teles, if I was going to get another telecaster which I may one day, I would consider this high on the list:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--SQU0303025

I have a Vintage Vibe strat and a highway 1 strat. The VV to me feels just a little smaller and lighter but plays fantastic and actually sounds pretty darn good. NOTE: I did put a GFS bridge in mine because they are a little heavier/more sturdy.

Telecasters are great guitars, I have used a few different ones and I liked them all.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyDean View Post
As far as fit and finish, generally you will find that the MIMs usually could use a little attention to frets (levelling, sharper edges) but usually nothing that a good setup won't take care of.
I found that to be the case, and had a pro setup and fret leveling done to mine.

But when I did that, I specifically asked the tech who did the work to give honest input about the quality of my guitar. The tech said he sees exactly the same quality on the made in USA guitars; no material quality difference whatsever, in his opinion. According to him, if I'd got the USA model I'd be just as likely to be taking it to him too, for the same sorts of things.

Me, I'm not qualified to judge, just relaying the opinion of a tech who's been in the business for some 30 years.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:50 AM
Brendan @ Heartbreaker Guitars Brendan @ Heartbreaker Guitars is offline

A kid who works for me just went through this exact scenario! I told him there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with a Mex Strat! He asked me is it legit enough to play on stage, and my response was "absolutely". However... that being said, i told him if he could swing it, go for the USA. Well long story short, his pops kicked him a few bucks and he got a USA at GC for $699! What a deal!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars