The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-31-2012, 03:19 PM

Default Looking for help on pedals

I am looking for some help on pedals, I am completely new to electric guitars and hybrids and trying to get some ideas without blowing a lot of money. I bought a Taylor T5-S and although it sounds good through the system at church, it lacks the sustain that I get from my dread. The current setup I would have for it is: guitar to K&K pure XLR preamp to soundboard (this is the setup I use for my dread with a K&K mini).

What pedal or type of pedal would help increase the sustain, but not change the sound?

Also, are there any other pedals or effects that would improve the sound, both acoustically or more of an electric sound.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:39 PM

Hmm... there is the 'sustainer/compressor' pedal, but I haven't tried it out ... so I don't know if it's effect like, or natural sounding.

I'm curious as to how the electric guitar has less sustain than an acoustic. How are the strings? Pickup height? IME, the parts connected to the guitar are going to improve sustain and go long than a pedal to bandage a problem.

A common acoustic-y effect is adding chorus to your guitar, or maybe a touch of delay. It adds some unique depth that I feel mimics a peizo system.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:54 PM

A boss compressor should help. Although again I find it odd that you have sustain issues with an electric compared to an acoustic. That may be an issue de to the fact that you're running through a sound system rather than a true guitar amp. But even still, that's odd. The issue must be in the amplification somewhere.

www.facebook.com/ebaresolutes
www.ebaresolutes.com
Old 01-01-2013, 06:12 PM

The Boss pedals are almost bulletproof. I suggest a compressor and a chorus. Your PA shold have reverb. The super chorus is stereo so you can get a big sound by running into two channels and pan them left and right with your vocals up the middle. The Boss TU-3 tuner is a great pedal. It mutes your sound while tuning and has a bright mode for when your outside.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:35 PM

Thanks y'all for your help. I just found on my garage band on the mac I can add pedals to see what effect they give it. I'm using that as a guide to help point me in the right direction. I'm starting with the pedals you all have recommended.

Should I run straight to the pedals then to the board, or should I keep using the preamp. If so, what should the chain be. Let's say I'm using a TU-3, chorus, compressor, preamp, soundboard.

As for the lack of sustain, it seems to be an issue with the PA, when I plugged in at home (to both my amp and laptop), I had no issues.

On a side note, do I need to humidify the T5? It seems to me I would, but just want to make sure.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:06 PM

I would try with and with out the preamp, but probably with. My signal chain would be : guitar>tuner>preamp>compressor>chorus>PA. The tuner has a buffered out that will keep the signal up through the pedals and connections and long runs to the PA or amp.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars