The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-27-2021, 09:52 AM

Default Best onboard electronics for recording ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightchef View Post
Agreed, the Schertler mic sounds quite nice on that sample--as clear and warm as you could ask for. A good, well-placed external mic would sound even better, but I wouldn't hesitate to use that sound in a mix.

But yeah, strumming is the torture test for any kind of onboard transducer. Strumming really needs some "air blending" in order to sound good, I think.

The Schertler S-mic sounds fine on strumming as well.

What I like most about it is that since it is an omni mic right in the soundholes where the guitar is loud, there is very little vocal bleeding into the mic.

What I like least is that there is some background hiss in the circuit. You don’t notice it on a YouTube video because it is pretty soft, but if I am going for a really polished recording, I will use iZotope noise reduction on it. I wish I didn’t have to.

It picks up very little of the room. It does pick up the squeaking of my guitar against my lap, but I have found I can get rid of that by setting my guitar strap so that the guitar sits a little higher and is suspended rather than touching my lap. The S-mic is nicely isolated physically from the guitar and picks up minimal handling noise.

It sounds like a mic because it is a mic. When I turn the mic all the way up like that, I really don’t hear the pickup.
Old 01-27-2021, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

I sometimes record my Dazzo equipped guitars through my SunnAudio pre, but only to blend in some bass with my SM 81s recorded in stereo.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 01-28-2021, 03:06 PM

Default Best onboard electronics for recording ??

Another recording using the Schertler AG6 with the S-mic turned all the way up. Yes, there is some bleed from the Beta56 as well, but it is mostly the AG6/S-mic:

https://youtu.be/k8Yxm-6LvEY

Last edited by lkingston; 01-28-2021 at 04:31 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification