The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-28-2021, 09:41 AM

Default NPD: Mooer A7 Ambience

I've recently put together, a pedal board, for electro acoustic guitar. This includes, Clean Boost, Octaver, Tremolo, and 2 Delays.
I'd previously owned and sold an EHX Oceans 11, which had a very nice Shimmer setting on, so I was on the look out for another
pedal, with something similar. I originally thought of the TC Electronic Flourescence but not many shops actually had it in stock.
Then I remembered the Mooer Ocean Machine, I'd checked out before, which looks a wonderful machine but has far too much on it
for me and I already have 2 Delay pedals I like. Then I spotted the Mooer A7 and thought that would be just right for my little
pedal grouping.

Basically it is a digital Micro pedal, with 7 Reverb+ presets. These being Plate, Hall (which can be fettled for Room and Church),
Warp, which a modulated reverb, Shake, which adds some vibrato, Crush, which is a Lo Fi, kind of noisy reverb, Shimmer (Yes!),
which adds a higher octave, that has a synthetic string sound and Dream, which fades in a smooth modulated reverb. I whizzed
through the presets and they all sounded very nice on their default setting.

But the clever thing with the A7 is that you can heavily customise each preset, to your taste and save that customisation to that
preset. There are 5 customising controls. Mix balances the dry and effected sounds, which is essential for this type of pedal.
Decay determines the length of the reverb and it has a fantastic range from very short to really long. Tone to adjust extra levels
of bass or treble. X adjusts the size of area the reverb is emulating eg tiny box to cavernous cathedral. And finally Chaos, here
each reverb preset has a special effect (some sort of modulation) and the Chaos adjusts the level of that effect. The only preset I have
really adjusted was the Shimmer. I took most of the special effect off and slightly extended the Decay and X, to get a heavenly
sound.

Overall then, this is a solid little pedal, with a tiny footprint, that as it's name implies, can create some long and lush, ambient sounds.
It is very easy to adjust and operate and works superbly with my other pedals. I particularly like my Octaver (Sub N Up) with the
Shimmer and add some extra delay and things can get very ethereal.

Here is my current, acoustic pedal board.

From right to left: TC Electronic Mini Spark (clean boost) - TC Electronic Sub N Up (octaver), Belcat Tremolo, Belcat Analog delay,
Mooer A7 Ambience and TC Electronic Flashback (digital delay).
Old 01-28-2021, 11:11 AM

Way cool. Thanks for info. I love shimmer. My Canyon Delay is checking that box on my acoustic pedal board.
Old 01-28-2021, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
Way cool. Thanks for info. I love shimmer. My Canyon Delay is checking that box on my acoustic pedal board.
Another fan of the Canyon Delay here! Actually, I have the Grand Canyon delay and looper because I wanted dual footswitches for the looper. I'm also a former user of the wonderful Mooer Ocean Machine which was great but SO over the top full of possibilities with the dual delays and reverb. I love that the Grand Canyon is so very small in size as well.

That little A7 Ambience looks cool as well. I love shimmer reverb.
Old 01-29-2021, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Another fan of the Canyon Delay here! Actually, I have the Grand Canyon delay and looper because I wanted dual footswitches for the looper. I'm also a former user of the wonderful Mooer Ocean Machine which was great but SO over the top full of possibilities with the dual delays and reverb. I love that the Grand Canyon is so very small in size as well.

That little A7 Ambience looks cool as well. I love shimmer reverb.
I agree, the Ocean Machine is almost to experimental for me.
EHX make some fantastic pedals but if I've ever had a problem with a pedal, it's always been an EHX, so I tend to avoid then now.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification