The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace

Old 04-11-2023, 06:49 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default When Do I Change My Guitar Strings?

How and why to change your strings!
Old 04-11-2023, 08:12 AM

I change my main guitar strings every month. I do play it probably 2 hours each day. It's almost like a cheap therapy session. It really doesn't take the long. The only problem is I'm hooked on Thomastik Infeld Plectrum strings.
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Fender Player Stratocaster HSS Plus
Timberline T60HGpc
Kolaloha KTM-000 with MiSi
SunnAudio MS-2
Digital Piano Yamaha P515
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488
Old 04-15-2023, 10:42 AM

Default When they don't sound good anymore

Oops - I just saw that you were putting up your instructional answer- not asking the question. Rock on, you.

Here was my answer for any other goofus like me who did not get it right away:
For me, the answer is truly when they no longer sound good. It has a lot to do with how much you are playing. I almost always change after a gig, because I did a lot of sweating on it and I did a lot of practicing beforehand. Otherwise it really depends- probably every three to five months-ish.

Three other thoughts:
1.Cleaning your strings really makes a difference. If you clean them, you might find you don't need to change them as often. Just with a rag, or with a cleaner like you'd get at a music store.
2. it gets very addictive to change strings - at one point I couldn't do a month with the same ones because I always wanted that bright new sound. Now I try to wait long enough for me to really go, "ahhh" when I hear the new strings.
3. It's not a great idea to change just before you gig unless you have an hour our so to break them in. They will stretch at first, and be so bright that it's a bit jarring through an amp. But if you can change them, break them in a bit, and then gig - great. I'm not sure if that jives with my note above, but then again it's not a perfect science.

Last edited by Jeffreykip; 04-15-2023 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Did not read the post correctly. :)
Old 04-22-2023, 12:40 PM

Well, I may be quite fast at string change but when I feel I can see a change in
color there is color change and a need for string change : Fresh new strings tone
confirms it was about time !

Before a change in color, you may here the decay in sustain.

Do not wait until a string breaks : You will feel the sanding effect on you fingers
well after color change but well before any string break.
Old 04-22-2023, 02:00 PM
Guest 61722

I just want to thank Kevin for this video and the follow up instructional video on how to change strings. I did it myself for the first time this morning. It was so easy! I'm very glad I watched the video first. It was really easy to follow. I think I got the whole thing done, including guitar wipe down and dusting, in under 30 minutes. I would say I have a bit of room for improvement in neatness of string winding, but it certainly looks passable and everything sounds great.

I put a set of Martin Medium PBs on my Sigma dread to see if it makes a big difference in the sound. At this early point, the difference is more new strings vs. older strings than the previous lights vs current mediums but I haven't played it much yet today. And the new strings are settling in and stretching so I expect to hear more of a difference tomorrow, if there is one.

Long way of saying THANK YOU, KEVIN, and Vicky and Maggie May, of course.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace