The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-24-2013, 03:06 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Gibson Guitar Shootout at the DG Corral

Gibson Guitar Shootout at the DG Corral - Which one is your favorite?? http://ow.ly/pb1UZ
Old 09-24-2013, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

Three outstanding sounding guitars for sure but I'm partial to the 000-18. It has that voice that is captivating? The 28 and the L-00 weren't far behind but the 18 just sang so sweetly. Didn't hurt that Al was doing the playing either!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 09-24-2013, 03:25 PM

Thanks for that.

All those guitars were amazing, they were all winners!
Old 09-24-2013, 05:18 PM

I've always been a rosewood guy, but my fave in the video was the '34 000-18. The OM-28 just seemed too mellow. I'm sure it would sound great in person. The other 000-18 seemed a bit too bright although that may be because it followed the OM-28.

It does cause me to wonder, "How would they sound to the player in a shootout?" There's a thread on The Gear Page about the importance of tone to the player or the listener (the listener being in front of the guitar, of course). Personally, if I play an acoustic guitar in public, it's usually amplified so I'd choose a guitar that sounded the best to me while I'm playing it.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 09-24-2013, 06:48 PM

I like Gibsons, but you've got to go with the guitar that speaks your name. Sounds like a pretty cool Martin.

The Missouripicker's YouTube Channel
URL:http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMissouripicker

Gibson J100 Walnut, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Dove, Gibson J45TV, Gibson AJ RW, Gibson AJ Koa, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Gibson J15, Martin HD28, Alvarez MFA66SHB and many other guitars, banjos, mandolins, dobros, dulcimers, and strays.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:51 PM

all, or any of them, would make a fine addition to my humble collection!

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."
Old 09-24-2013, 06:59 PM

We didn't get to hear as much of the Gibson as the other two but they all sounded good. I bet you couldn't get either of the Martins for $30 in their day (!) so I'd definitely give the cost/tone ratio to the guitar from Kalamazoo. The 000-18 gets first place in my ears but the L-00 gets second and if I could've heard more played on it I'd a probably gone with the little guitar as I'm partial to Gibsons anyway, especially for the type of tune that was played. They sure made some great instruments back in that day.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
dream guitars, dreamguitars.com, prewar gibson, prewar martin, vintage guitars