The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-25-2021, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaCovers View Post
1. Are you think that the IRs that you generate would sound even better than those generated by the Optima Air? Do you know the algorithm/technique that they use? Do you know what factors could possibly make their IRs sound less desirable?
I can not answer for sure because I don't have the pedal. I have an idea based on discussion with Aaron Short and samples I've heard. What I can tell for sure is that the IR made with my apps reflects my taste. You can make the recordings and send me a link to a google drive/dropbox link with the files. I'll made the IRs for you

Quote:
2. Do you think that if I had you build IR for my 714 that it would be better with my 714 than the IR for the 714 that you already have? If so, what variables would make it sound better?
Thanks for all of your help and information! You are on the forefront of this IR wave.
Try those files (there are four), they are made from a Taylor 714ce, V-class. (don't forget to put back your EQ flat) Try the "Match" file first.
http://acousticir.free.fr/spip.php?article89

If your guitar is an X-braced Taylor, I am very interested in adding it to the database... I don't have many X-braced Taylors.

As far as variables, mic position & algorithms are the most important.

I hope Aaron will eventually make an IR video with comparison between Tonedexter, Voiceprint DI, Nux Optima Air & free app so people knows what they can expect from each. I think he is the only guy in the forum to actually own/use all three.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 01-25-2021, 05:28 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
I can not answer for sure because I don't have the pedal. I have an idea based on discussion with Aaron Short and samples I've heard. What I can tell for sure is that the IR made with my apps reflects my taste. You can make the recordings and send me a link to a google drive/dropbox link with the files. I'll made the IRs for you

Try those files (there are four), they are made from a Taylor 714ce, V-class. (don't forget to put back your EQ flat) Try the "Match" file first.
http://acousticir.free.fr/spip.php?article89

If your guitar is an X-braced Taylor, I am very interested in adding it to the database... I don't have many X-braced Taylors.

As far as variables, mic position & algorithms are the most important.

I hope Aaron will eventually make an IR video with comparison between Tonedexter, Voiceprint DI, Nux Optima Air & free app so people knows what they can expect from each. I think he is the only guy in the forum to actually own/use all three.
Cuki,
I plan on recording for you. I have a 612ce that is x braced and a 714 that is V braced. I tried your 714 match file and found that I preferred the sound of the 714 IR that was created by my Optima Air. (I did not try the other three 714 IRs) Who knows what the difference was: maybe microphone position, microphone type, or just the fact that I was using my own guitar to create the IR.

I will send you the 612, 714, and GS mini and maybe my uke. Just have to get time to do it. Maybe this weekend. Thank you.

Taylor 714ce (V-Class Bracing)
Taylor 612ce (Andy Powers X-braced)
Taylor GS Mini
Little Martin
Fender G-II

Taylor Solidbody Standard Electric
Enyu Nova U Uke

NuX Optima Air
TC Electronic Bodyrez
Strymon Iridium
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Started recording cover songs in 2020 for lonely family & friends.

https://youtube.com/user/DakotaDrummer2

Last edited by DakotaCovers; 01-25-2021 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-26-2021, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Cuki,
I plan on recording for you. I have a 612ce that is x braced and a 714 that is V braced. I tried your 714 match file and found that I preferred the sound of the 714 IR that was created by my Optima Air. (I did not try the other three 714 IRs) Who knows what the difference was: maybe microphone position, microphone type, or just the fact that I was using my own guitar to create the IR.

I will send you the 612, 714, and GS mini and maybe my uke. Just have to get time to do it. Maybe this weekend. Thank you.
Thanks for your feedback. Can you please also join the IR files you made with your Optima Air? You can save them with the Nux App.

Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 01-26-2021, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your feedback. Can you please also join the IR files you made with your Optima Air? You can save them with the Nux App.

Hi Cuki, I PM’ed the Optima Air IRs to you on AGF. Hope you got them OK. Your web communication did not work.

Taylor GS Mini
Little Martin
Fender G-II

Enyu Nova U Uke

NuX Optima Air
TC Electronic Bodyrez
Strymon Iridium
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Old 01-26-2021, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Your web communication did not work.
You mean the acousticir website communication? I stopped a long time ago. The website was constantly under attacks of "bots".

Please pm me through he AGF. People who wants help through the website can write to Jon (he is retired and has more free time than I do )

Here are the spectra for both IRs (the Optima Air & Cuki)

The common points are
  • Two main modes at 100 and 200 Hz
  • A smiley face curve in the lower mids (purple)
a stronger

The major difference are
  • Bandpass filter for the Optima Air with bass and treble roll-off
  • Stronger main resonance mode
  • Smiley face vs bump in the high mids

You can understand why while listening to those samples (made with the Taylor 714ce recordings used to make the Cuki IR Match file). The mic recording I got with the Zoom H4n Pro was really really bright... therefore the Match IR file is too...

1) Mic (Zoom H4n pro)
2) Taylor ES2 flat
3) Cuki IR Match (automated)
4) Optima Air (made with another Taylor 714ce, possibly less bright)
5) Mic (Zoom H4n pro)
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 01-26-2021, 11:03 AM

Cuki
Yes, I sent my PM to you through AGF. Did you get my message with the impulse responses OK?

So, does the optima air add high and low and roll off automatically? I tend to like a more mellow, less bright, sound. With both my 714 IR and your IR, I had to back off on both the high and low ends on my preamp on the Optima air.

It is really interesting the items that you posted. Thank you.

Question, how do I quote just portions of other peoples posts rather than their entire posts when I reply?

Taylor GS Mini
Little Martin
Fender G-II

Enyu Nova U Uke

NuX Optima Air
TC Electronic Bodyrez
Strymon Iridium
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Old 01-26-2021, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Question, how do I quote just portions of other peoples posts rather than their entire posts when I reply?
I manually delete the text, maybe there is a better way but I don’t know it.

If you have the time this week end please record some 2-tracks (mic and pickup) of your guitars. I would be interested to make warmer IRs for those Taylor. Also I have only one X-braced Taylor in the database... that would be a nice addition.

One day, I should take the time to make an app to help people tune their IRs.

Like adding EQ, minimalise the phase (Tonedexter original character pot), or reduce room reverberation...

To Cole back to your question, I can’t say if the band pass filter came from the optima air or the mic signal chain (mixer/preamp) but it is there for sure.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 01-26-2021, 01:14 PM

Quote:
I manually delete the text, maybe there is a better way but I don’t know it.

If you have the time this week end please record some 2-tracks (mic and pickup) of your guitars. I would be interested to make warmer IRs for those Taylor. Also I have only one X-braced Taylor in the database... that would be a nice addition.

back to your question, I can’t say if the band pass filter came from the optima air or the mic signal chain (mixer/preamp) but it is there for sure.
Yes. I think I can do that this weekend.

Must have been the Optima Air as I had mic set to flat EQ and no mixer was used.

Taylor GS Mini
Little Martin
Fender G-II

Enyu Nova U Uke

NuX Optima Air
TC Electronic Bodyrez
Strymon Iridium
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Old 01-27-2021, 03:53 AM

Default IR recording not working

Did anyone experience problems using Optima Air to create new IR? I just received the second pedal from the local distributor and, just like the first, it operates apparently well but doesn't record any real file. I followed the whole correct procedure, verifying it directly with the man from NUX China, but the second unit has the same problem: everything works fine except for recording IRs. The slot is empty after the process. Any suggestions?
Old 01-27-2021, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef58 View Post
Did anyone experience problems using Optima Air to create new IR? I just received the second pedal from the local distributor and, just like the first, it operates apparently well but doesn't record any real file. I followed the whole correct procedure, verifying it directly with the man from NUX China, but the second unit has the same problem: everything works fine except for recording IRs. The slot is empty after the process. Any suggestions?
No problem recording at all. Worked perfectly. These may be obvious questions and I apologize if they seem simple: Did the input meters on the pedal indicate signals from the mike and pickup before you pressed the IR switch to start recording? Did I you press the Amp switch to save after recording?

Also, it should not matter but have you downloaded the latest firmware?

Taylor GS Mini
Little Martin
Fender G-II

Enyu Nova U Uke

NuX Optima Air
TC Electronic Bodyrez
Strymon Iridium
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Old 01-29-2021, 07:01 PM

I have a Taylor Koa Mini Plus (ES2 system) and since getting the Optima have done LOTS of recordings trying to get the "correct" sound from this unit.
I have plugged it into different amps and get good-ish results. After a lot of experimenting I have finally found an IR that I liked. This is how I went about it.

The amp I settled on was my Fishman Loud Charge because with all knobs at twelve'o'clock gave the best neutral sound playing directly into the amp.

I tried recording with different mics, settling on two an AT condenser and AKG D5. As apposed to what the manual says I found the D5 better than a condenser mic. The best position for the D5 I found was about 15" away from the guitar level with the 14th fret but pointing at about the 11th.
One problem I found with (me and this guitar) was getting a very boomy bass end IR - about 230hz .

The mic was the plugged into a Presonus 192USB with the recording input set to about -9db. The signal went into Presonus Studio One where after trying lots of plugins, settled on a multiband compressor. Using this I lowered the bass end at 300hz and below. Also lowered a little the high end about 10K.

Used a good cable into the Optima and then moved myself (backward or forward) until the two level meters were the same volume at about 60%.
Although i finger pick the Taylor, for the IR, I barred the 12th, 7th, 5th and open and played each string arpeggio'd

The above resulted in my best IR so far. However it still gave me some very high squeaks (not finger squeaks but higher than that - it attracted a lot of bats ) I find that in the app I set the Hi to cut - about 11K and the Lo as well about 300Hz.
The gain of the IR I set to -1db. 0db is Ok but boosting any higher can cause problems. The EQ in the Optima, I only use for controlling the environment.
The reverb is set about 12-1 o'clock any higher and it can exaggerate artifacts. (hate it when those Egyptian artifacts show up especially the Goldern IR of Tut). I set the IR level at 1 o'clock

BTW Do not forget to press and turn the select knob to select a slot to save the IR and then press the AMP FS to save. Preferably have the APP running while you are doing all the above then you will see the waveform appear in the editor make the IR adjustments and then save it. In the IR waveform window it will show the name of the IR - Click that to change the name.

Last edited by anonyrat; 01-29-2021 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-29-2021, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonyrat View Post
I have a Taylor Koa Mini Plus (ES2 system) and since getting the Optima have done LOTS of recordings trying to get the "correct" sound from this unit.

The reverb is set about 12-1 o'clock any higher and it can exaggerate artifacts. (hate it when those Egyptian artifacts show up especially the Goldern IR of Tut). I set the IR level at 1 o'clock

BTW Do not forget to press and turn the select knob to select a slot to save the IR and then press the AMP FS to save. Preferably have the APP running while you are doing all the above then you will see the waveform appear in the editor make the IR adjustments and then save it. In the IR waveform window it will show the name of the IR - Click that to change the name.
Thanks for sharing your experience with Optima Air. I feel like I was pretty lucky in recording IRs for my three Taylor acoustics on the first try but you may have a more discerning ear than I do!

I will still experiment though and see if I can make improvements.

I tend to run my reverb around noon as well. I run the IR at minimum to noon at the highest.

In regards to running the app while doing the recording and savings, I have not tried that yet. So, do you save it and then edit it? Do you play through the PA and edit the IR in “real time”? I didn’t know you could do that but it sounds very handy.

Taylor GS Mini
Little Martin
Fender G-II

Enyu Nova U Uke

NuX Optima Air
TC Electronic Bodyrez
Strymon Iridium
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Old 01-29-2021, 09:30 PM

Quote:

In regards to running the app while doing the recording and savings, I have not tried that yet. So, do you save it and then edit it? Do you play through the PA and edit the IR in “real time”? I didn’t know you could do that but it sounds very handy.
I do load up the app with the Optima on and connected to my PC via USB. This is for MIDI over USB only I do not use the top right hand USB Audio !
I connect an audio cable from one of the outputs on the Presonus 192 - not the main outs as that monitors the input but gets muted when actually recording so as not to affect the mic recording. That audio cable gets plugged into the RETURN socket on the optima. I leave the output cable connected to the Fishman. (NB for anyone with a simple audio interface, say output 1/2 only then run audio out from ch1 and you can monitor thru headphones)

So NO I do not play in real time. I record on the Optima and save the IR which pops up immediately on the app. I can then adjust gain, lo and hi cuts, change the IR name to KOA STD date, in my case - save it via app. Restart Optima and try it out.

To repeat another IR, I go back to record mode on the Optima and this time using the select knob save to another slot and repeat above but rename to e.g. KOA STD 2 date (in app). This way I can change the multiband compressor in Studio one to alter the guitar signal. So using my DAW I can input the signal / apply FX / and output that new signal without actually recording the signal - it's all part of the monitoring process.
Old 02-01-2021, 02:10 PM

Quote:
No problem recording at all. Worked perfectly. These may be obvious questions and I apologize if they seem simple: Did the input meters on the pedal indicate signals from the mike and pickup before you pressed the IR switch to start recording? Did I you press the Amp switch to save after recording?

Also, it should not matter but have you downloaded the latest firmware?
Yes, the meters confirm the signals input and I did all the rest. After further experiments in the studio it seems that the pedal idiosyncracy to USB hubs can be a problem if - as in my case - you have a Macbook where a hub is needed to connect standard USB cables. We found that connecting to a different Mac with no hub the software was now connected for real and functions like modifying volume of the new IR (essential where these are often weak) were finally active. In earlier attempts it probably worked but produced IR too weak to be noticed.
Old 02-01-2021, 02:12 PM

In general, there would be a lot to say about providing better and most comprehensive instructions with the product or about the quality of software

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification