The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-23-2022, 08:20 AM

Default Acoustic amp into a speaker without a mixer?

Hey guys I have an issue and I need some assistance. I am a solo acoustic guy
And I have a Blackstar Acoustic 30 amp. It has separate channels for mic and guitar with eq for each and reverb and chorus for each as well. I just got a QSC CP 8 powered speaker and I was curious if I didn’t use a mixer and just used the Blackstar and the powered speaker for my solo shows would that work well or would I def need a mixer. I have been borrowing my buddies mixer mainly for reverb on my vocals but the Blackstar has that so I’m thinking use the amp as a monitor and keep it within reach for dial turning and use the powered speaker for the crowd. Or should I nix the amp and use a mixer.
Old 06-23-2022, 08:47 AM

Shouldn't need a mixer. The DI out will give you a mix of both channels. The powered speaker will give you more volume / coverage.

Rick
Old 06-23-2022, 08:48 AM

will it work..? yes... will it sound good? probably not in my opinion. I have never found an all in one amp that does acoustic guitat AND vocals well. Vocals always sound thin and tinny in my opinion. Why not just use a small mixer with built in effects and a powered speaker? Why use the amp at all? I personally prefer 10s over 8s as mains, but its a personal preference.

a small mixer like an Allen and Heath Zed 10fx or the like, into a powered QSC K10, Yamaha DXR 10, Alto TS310, (depending on your budget) is more than enough for solo acoustic gigs.
Old 06-23-2022, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickfromny View Post
will it work..? yes... will it sound good? probably not in my opinion. I have never found an all in one amp that does acoustic guitat AND vocals well. Vocals always sound thin and tinny in my opinion. Why not just use a small mixer with built in effects and a powered speaker? Why use the amp at all? I personally prefer 10s over 8s as mains, but its a personal preference.

a small mixer like an Allen and Heath Zed 10fx or the like, into a powered QSC K10, Yamaha DXR 10, Alto TS310, (depending on your budget) is more than enough for solo acoustic gigs.
I hear ya. I was just trying to see if I could save some money since the Blackstar
Has everything on it already. I will say the vocals and guitar sound pretty good coming out of it. I really wanted a Xenyx 1202fx, haven’t seen any new lately. Yeah I just was looking for a mixer with reverb to be honest.
Old 06-23-2022, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBK View Post
Shouldn't need a mixer. The DI out will give you a mix of both channels. The powered speaker will give you more volume / coverage.

Rick
Thanks that is what I was thinking. When I get home I’m gonna set it up and see how it sounds out of the QSC. My wife will judge she’s pretty vocal if things are not sounding well lol.
Old 06-23-2022, 10:51 AM

I have been using the Behringer Flow 8 for my solo gigs and that mixer is amazing for the price. Has replaced all other mixers I own, and I own a bunch. Effects are great, preamps are nice, can control via faders on the unit or bluetooth app which is layed out well and easy to follow. Highly recommend it. I use the Flow 8 and an EV Evolve 50 for most of my solo gigs these days, but I would use that mixer with any of my powered speakers too and feel confident in the sound.
Old 06-23-2022, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Mass View Post
Hey guys I have an issue and I need some assistance. I am a solo acoustic guy
And I have a Blackstar Acoustic 30 amp. It has separate channels for mic and guitar with eq for each and reverb and chorus for each as well. I just got a QSC CP 8 powered speaker and I was curious if I didn’t use a mixer and just used the Blackstar and the powered speaker for my solo shows would that work well or would I def need a mixer. I have been borrowing my buddies mixer mainly for reverb on my vocals but the Blackstar has that so I’m thinking use the amp as a monitor and keep it within reach for dial turning and use the powered speaker for the crowd. Or should I nix the amp and use a mixer.
Personal preference plays a big role here, and you absolutely should try it. The amp-to-PA route, with the amp as monitor, has been used by many folks quite happily. And as far as amps that handle both vocals and guitar are concerned, I've always been very happy with both, going through my Bugera AC60.

I'd *rather* have a mixer just because it provides more options, but keeping things as simple as possible has benefits too.

So give it a shot. It won't be a disaster, and either you'll love it, or find something lacking and take it from there.
Old 06-24-2022, 04:07 AM

Thanks for the input guys! I went with the Yamaha MG06X, not what I really wanted but I’ve heard good things about it. I’m still gonna try the amp into the speaker as well. I just figured why not get something to save some space as well. I really just wanted something with reverb for vocals and the cheapest I could find was the yamaha and the mackie.
Old 06-24-2022, 05:44 AM
Charter Member

If I understand your original question correctly, that is a relatively common set up as you describe. Just saw a young lady with a Loudbox serving as di, mixer, and monitor then running out to a Bose S1 for the room.

You lost me with the reverb comment. (Unless your amp’s line out doesnt put the effects in line).

Sounds like you got it figured out in any case.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 06-24-2022, 05:55 AM
Charter Member

I have been using my Loudbox for a mixer and onstage monitor while running a DI out to a powered speaker or the house system for years and it works great. You really don't need to add a mixer unless you just want to, but I think the mixer just makes things unnecessarily complicated.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 06-24-2022, 06:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Mass View Post
Thanks for the input guys! I went with the Yamaha MG06X, not what I really wanted but I’ve heard good things about it. I’m still gonna try the amp into the speaker as well. I just figured why not get something to save some space as well. I really just wanted something with reverb for vocals and the cheapest I could find was the yamaha and the mackie.
Hi Matt, that Yamaha MG06X is a nice little mixer. I've been using one for years with 2 JBL EON10 powered speakers.
I've also used a Fishman Artist direct into 1 of the JBLs, and that works great as well.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 06-25-2022, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

I've been connecting the line out on my Fishman Artist to a bass/kb amp with 15" speaker. Really helps warm up the tone. The Fishman has an 8" woofer. The Fishman sits atop the combo bass amp which gets it up off the floor. Works great with a band on a club gig. My fiddle player loves this setup. The Fishman handles his dual source fiddle seamlessly.
Old 06-25-2022, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickfromny View Post

I disagree. Most acoustic guitar and vocal amps will do a decent job with this.

The absolute best however is an Elite Acoustics D6-8 or D6-58. The mixer on these amps (the same on both) is far superior to an Allen & Heath Zed10FX (which I also own). More, control, better class A preamps, plus a dedicated output EQ which allows you to get the best out of any powered speaker you might want to connect to.
Old 06-26-2022, 05:00 AM

The older Bose L1-Compact only has 1 mic input.

I play acoustic guitar, mandolin, resonator and banjo. The 1933 Gibson mandolin, the resonator, and the banjo have no pickups, so I simply use an SM-57 for all 4 instruments. I also sing.

I can use the 2 mic inputs on my S1-Pro (1 for vocals / 1 for instrument) and then use the line out into the L1-Compact for a very large, crisp clean tone that will fill a large area. And the Bose units are crystal clean.

I also own a Yamaha mixer if I have guest without gear, but that setup works very, very well.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 06-26-2022, 06:19 AM
Charter Member

I'm in the mixer/powered speaker camp.

Been dragging around gear for 50+ years.

My current rig, with 2 guitars, will all fit on one Rock-N-Roller cart.

Roll into trailer, done.

I realize most don't want to pull a trailer. But if you've got one. It's the easiest way to get in and out with minimal amount of lifting.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification