The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-09-2022, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
correct Rudy, I confess tat I read about his larger mic MXL 1006 and simply rerferred to my Rode NT1 of similr size.

I did have a matched pair of Chineses built SE1 small condensers which an ex professional recording engineer said he thought weer very good - then stole them.

The only small condensers I have currently are AKG CS1000s perfectly good but rather bulky.

Ebay has a lot but brands I'm unaware of.
Thanks, Silly.

I have AKG C1000 mics also. I prefer the sound of the NT3s, but the C1000 mics are lighter to maneuver. The bulk of these medium diaphragm condensers is the main thing I don't like about them. Both the NT3 and the C1000 are firmly in the "mid-size" diaphragm camp. I think both have 5/8" capsules or thereabouts.

Both can be powered from a 9 volt battery if no phantom power is available, which is a nice feature. I don't hear any difference between 9 volt battery or 48 volt phantom power for either mic.

The small size and easy placement of the SDCs is a very nice feature, and for live performance they aren't as intrusive due to their smaller size.

I don't own an SE sdc but I've always heard good things about them. I believe the SDCs are now sold as SE7s?

I also have a pair of Avantone CK-1 mics which come with three capsules to use them as cardiod, hypercardiod, or omnis. Nice sounding mics, plus they are a sexy red color!

I also have AKG P-170s which I like, but one of them died for no obvious reason. I've since noticed that there are many of these failed P-170s being sold as-is on Reverb and other sites, so I can no longer recommend them.

Last edited by Rudy4; 06-09-2022 at 07:17 AM.
Old 06-10-2022, 05:52 AM
Charter Member

…years ago when I was doing sound for a show string wizard Dayan Kai turned me on to the MXL 603……he used em live and in the studio at the time….I’ve found it to be an excellent mic…easy to use and crazy inexpensive…
Old 06-10-2022, 07:10 AM

Neat....King bee or Worker Bee
I bought the first Gen Worker Bee for $89 new...
Old 06-12-2022, 05:43 AM
Charter Member

I like the Sure SM-81 for this type of setting.

A bit more money @ $350.

Plenty of other options out there.

Just one old guy's pick.
Old 06-12-2022, 07:30 AM

I am taking notes of all these recommendations and looking at YouTube videos and reviews. It seems like it is hard for a sec to match the detail and clarity of the km184. Here's the stupid question. Is there any correlation between a condenser mic's clarity, detail ( transient response ) and it's propensity to feedback? Is there a trade off between sound quality and feedback?
Old 06-12-2022, 08:15 AM

I once bought a matched set of MXL 603s. mics. Mentioned above as well.I truly think these are the pro audio worlds best kept secret. They sound superb for live sound as an acoustic guitar mic..when I say superb I mean every bit as good as my 300 dollar shure sm81..Are they a km184..certainly not ...but for 100 bucks for the pair the little 603 mic was in my gigbag for years..

Last edited by varmonter; 06-12-2022 at 08:21 AM.
Old 06-12-2022, 08:24 AM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Carr View Post
.. Do you think it's worth it to have a $800-$1000 mic for live amplification purposes? I know a more expensive mic should get me more clarity and detail, but this is not for recording purposes. Do you think that level of sonic detail is worth the expense of a KM184? If you had a $200 budget, what mic would you buy for amplification?
I've used the KM184 for gigs, but one issue with more expensive recording mics is the increased sensitivity can sometimes make them harder to use. I've done a lot of shows with a Shure dynamic, and that can be great too. But a dynamic can be on the other end of the spectrum in terms of sensitivity and it can be a pain to feel like you have to be an inch away from the mic all night to get the tone you want. Perhaps an inexpensive "hand-held vocal condenser" would be a good sweet spot. Years I remember using the Blue Encore for a bit. Maybe that's in that price range used?
Old 06-16-2022, 11:20 AM

I can second the Behringer C2. I bought a pair for church with low expectations (despite being a happy user of the XM8500 vocal mic) and they've turned out to be great for micing guitars, violins, pianos and drum overheads. No feedback issues even around stage monitors. I've also used the SB78A live vocal condenser on instruments with great results.
Old 06-16-2022, 07:15 PM

The more I read up, the more I am leaning towards getting a Beyer mc300. Possibly a pair in case I ever get the chance to record.
Old 06-16-2022, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

Anyone like the sE8 SDC from sE Electronics?
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 06-18-2022, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
... if you decide you want to do that then realize all your individual PA components need to be up to the task or you're wasting your money on the high end mic.
The tweeters in low- to mid-priced PA speakers are designed to favor survival over sound. Condenser mics, in a very general way, send more stuff to the tweeters than dynamic mics do, and can therefore make you sound worse.

Couch Standards
Old 06-21-2022, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
The tweeters in low- to mid-priced PA speakers are designed to favor survival over sound. Condenser mics, in a very general way, send more stuff to the tweeters than dynamic mics do, and can therefore make you sound worse.
yes, they amplify everything you're playing and it can be tragic
Old 06-23-2022, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftless View Post
I use an audio technica atm-350. There is also a "pro 35" version that's cheaper. It's a small diaphragm condenser that has the advantage of a miniature form held by a clip on gooseneck mount.
I've clipped them to archtop pickguards, classical guitars, banjo rims, mandolins, violins, and flat top steel string guitars. On my martin, I clip it to the edge of the soundhole and position it inside the body to point at the top behind the bridge. It also has a low cut switch that's perfect for guitar.
I have one of these aTM-350 small condenser mics with the optional guitar gooseneck mount. I bought it with the intent of using on a nice guitar where I didn’t want
permanent onboard electronics. It sounds gorgeous and allows you to change position/move without sound loss in a live setting since it is topically mounted to the guitar. However I ended up trading the guitar for one that already had a pup. I will find and list the ATM in the classifieds for anyone interested.
Guilds: 69 F312 Braz, 89 Nightbird II, 91 Nightbird CU, 94 GV70, 96 A50 flattop, 06 CO1 Cedar, 11 F30CE, 13 CS F30R Reno Star, 14 GSR F30CE Coco, Orpheum OM RW, Orpheum SS Hog. SOLD: Guilds: 78 F40,79 F112,’87 GF60R,94 DV72,07 CS F47 Braz,11 DD6MCE,12 F30,12 F30R,18 F2512. Other: 70 Epi 5102,74 Ibanez LesPaul,90 Gibson ES347,15 Alvarez MFA70,15 Martin OM28VTS,15 Epi ES339Pro,16 Alvarez AF60
Old 07-01-2022, 09:12 PM

I am still looking hard at mics in the $300 range for live amplification for fingerstyle and light strumming. I stopped by a Guitar Center today and they have a display board set up where you can test some different microphones with your voice while listening through headphones. I was impressed with the sound of Blue microphones they had on display. This is not the same as being able to audition one with a guitar. I got to looking online and I am intrigued with the Blue Dragonfly (which GC did not have on display). Can someone here comment on using the Dragonfly for acoustic guitar performance into a PA? How does the Dragonfly compare to other mics in a similar price range?
Old 07-01-2022, 09:44 PM

My bad. I said Dragonfly. I meant to say the Blue Hummingbird is the one I am interested in right now. Opinions?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification