The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-14-2022, 12:09 PM

Default Sneak peek and listen at the new Journey FF660M

Guitar Specifications
Proprietary Body Design:
Stylized 00 body shape

Mid-position offset sound hole for maximum resonance

Scoopaway™ for access to all 20 frets while maintaining maximum volume

Beveled back for maximum playing comfort

Wedge design for increased volume, comfort and efficiency

Beveled soundboard armrest for maximum comfort

Soundboard:
Unidirectional carbon fiber with proprietary carbon fiber bracing, unibody construction

Back and Sides:
carbon fiber

Markings:
Metallic foil logo and position markings

Scale:
24.5 in (622.3 mm)

Finish:
Matte polyurethane

Bridge:
Carbon Fiber, high break-angle

Tuners:
Journey 18:1 Locking Tuners

Electronics:

Included JourneyTek™ under-bridge passive 3-piezo transducer pickup system delivers accurate and clear amplification for any PA system or amp.

Removable Neck Assembly:

Stainless steel load-bearing components

Push-button release latch under neck

Large adjustment knob on back

Neck:

Carbon fiber matte low- C shape with two-way adjustable truss rod

Deep-slotted bone nut

Neck width at nut: 1 ¾ in (44.5 mm)

Neck width at 12th fret: 2.2 in (56 mm)

Neck Thickness at 1st fret: 0.86 in(21.8mm)

Neck Thickness at 5th fret:0.91 in(23mm)

Neck Thickness at 9th fret:0.96 in(24.5mm)

14 Frets to body

20 Frets total

Fret Board:
16 inch Radius, Carbon Fiber

Jumbo brass fret wire

String Spacing:
2 ¼ in (>57.2mm)
Compensated bone saddle

Strings:
Elixir® Phosphor-Bronze Lights

Guitar Dimensions and Weights:
Weight: 4.6 lbs (2.1 kg)
Weight With Case: 12 lbs (5.4 kg)
Maximum depth: 5.5 in (14 cm)
Minimum Depth: 3.75 in (9.6 cm)
Total Assembled Length: 36.5 in (94 cm)
Lower Bout Width: 14.5 in (37 cm)
Maximum Case Dimensions: (unpacked) L*W*H: 22.5*14.5*9 in ( 55.9*36.8* 22.9 cm)
Old 05-14-2022, 04:08 PM

I've been excited since this was first mentioned in this topic.

However, when travelling I often use my OF660 off the beaten path, with no smooth floors, sidewalks or other finished surfaces. I'm hopeful there will be a case option which doesn't add 4-5 pounds of wheels/handle which I'm not going to use, or bulk left over from having to remove them.

I'm also hoping this will be available in a gloss finish.

Before the Journey OF660, I was using a Rainsong AWS as a travel beater. I traded off the better volume/balance for the smaller size, but would happily get them back if I'm not adding bulk and weight at the same time.
Old 05-14-2022, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

I think this new model looks much better than its predecessor.

However, I don’t think the demo did it justice. Whacking away at partial chords with no discernible melody, and no dynamics worth speaking of doesn’t really show the range of any instrument.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 05-14-2022, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
I think this new model looks much better than its predecessor.
I loved the OF660 design from the day I saw it 5 years ago, and I personally don't care for the look of the FF660. And then when I bought one I loved the feel and the tone. I still have it almost 4 years later. One of my favorite guitars I've ever owned regardless of its shortcomings.

We all have our opinions man.
Old 05-15-2022, 06:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
We all have our opinions man.
Of course. It would be a dull world if we all liked the same thing.
Cordoba Stage

Old 05-15-2022, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Looks like the hole was cut in the wrong place.
Old 05-15-2022, 09:12 PM
Charter Member

If they have more projection and volume than my rt 660 and then the tone they might have something interesting. Although the weight with case at 12.5 lbs is pretty unattractive.
Old 05-17-2022, 09:28 PM

Well, I'm out.

I just heard back from Journey, and the only case available is the heavy one with wheels. I don't normally think of myself as a frontier type, but apparently my hiking puts me into a different category from their target market for this one.

I actually think this is funny. Remember how they used to market their instruments?

The new, improved slogan?

It effortlessly goes everywhere you want to go... unless you leave the sidewalk....
Old 05-18-2022, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
Well, I'm out.

I just heard back from Journey, and the only case available is the heavy one with wheels. I don't normally think of myself as a frontier type, but...
Seems this one is aimed at the air traveler for sure. I'm out too as my OF660 suits that purpose very nicely and adding this would just be redundant.

What exactly are you looking for if price wasn't an obstacle? This guitar is encroaching on the X7 price point new, and that guitar comes in a nifty light gig bag.
Old 05-18-2022, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well, I'm out.

I just heard back from Journey, and the only case available is the heavy one with wheels. I don't normally think of myself as a frontier type, but apparently my hiking puts me into a different category from their target market for this one...
You could probably find a lighter pack to carry it in for hiking, and use their pack when flying or driving. But to me the guitar seems a little large for travel. The pack the guy in the ad was wearing looked big.

Quote:
...What exactly are you looking for if price wasn't an obstacle? This guitar is encroaching on the X7 price point new, and that guitar comes in a nifty light gig bag.
But, for hiking, a guitar that breaks down would be better, depending on how long of a hike.
Old 05-18-2022, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Seems this one is aimed at the air traveler for sure. I'm out too as my OF660 suits that purpose very nicely and adding this would just be redundant.

What exactly are you looking for if price wasn't an obstacle? This guitar is encroaching on the X7 price point new, and that guitar comes in a nifty light gig bag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
You could probably find a lighter pack to carry it in for hiking, and use their pack when flying or driving. But to me the guitar seems a little large for travel. The pack the guy in the ad was wearing looked big.

But, for hiking, a guitar that breaks down would be better, depending on how long of a hike.
The bags for the OF and FF have the same outer dimensions, which are within the TSA measurements for an overhead bag.

In terms of what I'm looking for (well, GASsing for more acvurately), I was hoping for the larger body when assembled, and around the same size and weight packed as the OF660.

I used to take my Rainsong AWS1000 everywhere as a beater when size permitted. For something more compact, it would be the Yamaha SLG100, maybe augmented with a small JBL speaker (surprisingly good sound, low weight).

The OF660 is a great travel option, if a little undersize for a full service acoustic. You can pack the body when traveling. You can take it hiking on a mountain and into the woods, to the beach, to a big grassy hill for a picnic. It adds about as much weight as a cased mandolin, or less, but it's a guitar.

The FF660 fits in an overhead, and the body can be filled when traveling, but it weighs too much to casually do all the other activities on the other side of a flight, or even a car ride.

Low size and weight, transportation and hiking friendly. The OF660 does it. The FF660 doesn't.

(Funny... I thought all those ideas were obvious....)

Oh, and having had a chance to try an Enya X4, if I was looking for a low-cost carbon beater, the Enya is surprisingly good, and much less than the Emerald X7.

Cheers!
Old 05-18-2022, 11:06 PM

Maybe stupid question but why would you need a guitar bag to be tsa size when legally you're allowed to bring an instrument on the flight?
Old 05-19-2022, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDaniel View Post
Maybe stupid question but why would you need a guitar bag to be tsa size when legally you're allowed to bring an instrument on the flight?
"Legally allowed" and "actually have room in the overhead compartment on a particular flight" are not the same thing, and that's on a larger plane. Twin-props which are sometimes used for smaller service are even less likely to accomodate.

Further, if one is taking, say, the metro in Paris or Madrid, it's easier to have a smaller bag. Given that some of those stations have lots of steps and no escalators, smaller and lighter is better.

---

I didn't fully realize that traveling with an instrument, including both planes and going off-road, weren't on everyone's activities in the Carbon subforum. I was so excited decades ago when I first talked to a Rainsong rep at Chuck Levin's, and found out about instruments that could take abuse, rainstorms and waterfalls. (The guy hammered on the guitar with his fists.) Offroad and bad weather outdoor gigs/weddings just always seemed to me to be the core market for this. Well, live and learn!
Old 05-19-2022, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I didn't fully realize that traveling with an instrument, including both planes and going off-road, weren't on everyone's activities in the Carbon subforum. I was so excited decades ago when I first talked to a Rainsong rep at Chuck Levin's, and found out about instruments that could take abuse, rainstorms and waterfalls. (The guy hammered on the guitar with his fists.) Offroad and bad weather outdoor gigs/weddings just always seemed to me to be the core market for this. Well, live and learn!
Certainly part of the core market. However, the attraction for me, living in Minnesota where it's very, very dry in the winter, is having a guitar I can leave on a stand all year long, and not have any concerns about. After going through a succession of unsatisfactory beaters over the years, it was a revelation to get my first CF guitar - and realize how little I used to play during the winter months. It hardly ever leaves the house, but when it does, I don't worry about it
Cordoba Stage

Old 05-19-2022, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
...However, the attraction for me, living in Minnesota where it's very, very dry in the winter, is having a guitar I can leave on a stand all year long, and not have any concerns about...
Yep, certainly, and mostly that. But, at least for me, part of the attraction of my Emerald is that it sounds (and looks) different from my other guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber