The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-11-2016, 06:26 AM
andare andare is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 11
Default My Takamine sucks worse than a cheap pawn shop dread.

Last week I jammed with a friend. He owns a no name, cheap dreadnought he bought in a pawn shop for about $25. He had to reglue the bridge, change the pins and do other minor adjustments. Basically a genuine POS.

Well, it blows my Takamine EG332C (solid cedar top cutaway) out of the water, especially in how much bass it has. Notes feel like they're springing from the guitar.
My Takamine, on the other hand, sounds totally dead. The notes are nice but there's no projection, no bass, no sustain, even with new strings.
I adjusted the truss rod, the string action, cleaned the fretboard, bought different string gauges, the works, yet every other guitar I've tried was easier to play.
It's my first and only acoustic, a high school graduation present from my parents that I personally picked out of many instruments back when I knew nothing over 20 years ago.

Just bummed out.
I'm now looking for a parlor and ready to pull the trigger on an old, cheap Framus. Can't suck worse than my Takamine.

Has anyone had similar experiences?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-11-2016, 06:38 AM
HHP HHP is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 29,352
Default

Is your friend, generally, a better player than you? Did you let him/her play your Takamine? Did you play the $25 guitar?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-11-2016, 06:45 AM
andare andare is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 11
Default

Of course I played the guitar. He played mine too. It's not a matter of skills, the difference was audible to both.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-11-2016, 06:49 AM
HHP HHP is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 29,352
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andare View Post
Of course I played the guitar. He played mine too. It's not a matter of skills, the difference was audible to both.
Look on the bright side, if $25 guitars sound that good to you , you will be saving a lot of money in the future.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-11-2016, 07:15 AM
Sage97 Sage97 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: GA
Posts: 7,623
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andare View Post
Of course I played the guitar. He played mine too. It's not a matter of skills, the difference was audible to both.
Offer to buy your friends guitar for $100.
__________________
"Dreams are the answers to questions that we haven't figured out how to ask." - Mulder
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-11-2016, 07:44 AM
TBone-Idle TBone-Idle is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Bedford, England
Posts: 196
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andare View Post
I adjusted the truss rod, the string action, cleaned the fretboard, bought different string gauges, the works, yet every other guitar I've tried was easier to play.
First of all, welcome to the forum.

Of course, you might well have bought a duffer, and the G Series is Takamine's bargain basement range after all, but do you really know what you're doing when playing with truss rods and adjusting actions? The fact that you feel that cleaning the fretboard would make a difference to the sound would suggest not.
I would be inclined to take it in for a professional set up before doing anything else.
__________________
1932 National Tricone Style 2
2002 Martin 000-28ec
2014 Martin 00-15m
1998 Takamine PT-508
1983 Ibanez V320
2011 Martin LX1
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-11-2016, 07:51 AM
JakeStone JakeStone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,044
Default

Some guitars don't "get better with age" ...

Plus you mentioned it was not easy to play.

Life it too short to be playing a dull sounding guitar.

Maybe it is time to find " the one " for you.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-11-2016, 07:53 AM
ewalling ewalling is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 19,902
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andare View Post
My Takamine, on the other hand, sounds totally dead. The notes are nice but there's no projection, no bass, no sustain, even with new strings.
I adjusted the truss rod, the string action, cleaned the fretboard, bought different string gauges, the works, yet every other guitar I've tried was easier to play.
It's my first and only acoustic, a high school graduation present from my parents that I personally picked out of many instruments back when I knew nothing over 20 years ago.

Just bummed out.
Why? It's twenty years old - hardly a recent purchasing mistake, is it? And it sounds as though you've almost literally hated the instrument for some time with all these experiments to improve its sound. In your shoes, I'd be rubbing my hands at the exciting prospect of trading in the Tak for a new guitar - one that may well be considerably cheaper!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-11-2016, 07:55 AM
martingitdave martingitdave is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,934
Default

Guitars are funny things. They don't always sound like you'd expect. If you're unsatisfied with the bass response of your Tak, I wouldn't necessarily go looking for a parlor sized guitar. Consider shopping around for a good "all arounder." Your buddy has proven you don't have to spend a lot. You can save the Tak for stage use.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________
Martin D-28 Custom Authentic '37
Martin D-28 Marquis '16
Gibson Jumbo Historic '34
Larrivee LV-04 Rosewood '15
Guild F-512 '22
K&K Pickups via LR Baggs VPDI
"Lift your head and smile at trouble. You'll find happiness someday."
Less clicking, more picking.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-11-2016, 07:56 AM
Montesdad Montesdad is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The OC - So Cal
Posts: 1,269
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andare View Post

Has anyone had similar experiences?
No -

Sounds to me like you need to have a good pro set up your guitar for your style of play. Subtle changes can make substantial differences.

In addition, I'd shy away from a cedar topped guitar if you want to go toe to toe with a stika or adi topped guitar for projection. Your friends pawn shop guitar may have been a real beast in its past life - sounds like it may still be. Might take him with you next time you go shopping.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-11-2016, 08:02 AM
GHS GHS is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Clifton, New Jersey, USA
Posts: 4,149
Default

I would look a little deeper into what the problem may be. Strings do make a difference. Try a different brand and see. I dont remember if that model has a two piece saddle but have the action set up. That and new/different strings may help. It has for me in the past.
__________________
Free speech...its' not for everybody
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-11-2016, 08:04 AM
andare andare is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone-Idle View Post
First of all, welcome to the forum.

Of course, you might well have bought a duffer, and the G Series is Takamine's bargain basement range after all, but do you really know what you're doing when playing with truss rods and adjusting actions? The fact that you feel that cleaning the fretboard would make a difference to the sound would suggest not.
I would be inclined to take it in for a professional set up before doing anything else.
I know all about guitar setup, I have all the necessary tools and I know cleaning the fretboard doesn't improve the playability. It might have a wider/fatter neck than other guitars and it just doesn't work well with my hand.

Anyway it's electroacoustic so it's a good stage guitar.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-11-2016, 08:06 AM
andare andare is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Guitars are funny things. They don't always sound like you'd expect. If you're unsatisfied with the bass response of your Tak, I wouldn't necessarily go looking for a parlor sized guitar. Consider shopping around for a good "all arounder." Your buddy has proven you don't have to spend a lot. You can save the Tak for stage use.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Actually I'm not looking to replace the dreadnought, I want a parlor exactly because of its midrangy sound and more comfortable body.
The Tak is a fine stage guitar with the pickup. Just not a good acoustic.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-11-2016, 08:15 AM
Bill Yellow Bill Yellow is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: London, UK
Posts: 480
Default

I think quality at the entry level has improved greatly in 20 years. Listen and play as wide a selection as you can!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-11-2016, 08:20 AM
ukejon ukejon is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 6,586
Default

Some Taks from that era feel overbuilt and overbraced, and it can be hard to make them sing. Go find something that fits your ear better.
__________________
My YouTube Page:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ukejon



2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
cedar, cheap, framus, parlor, takamine

Thread Tools





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=