The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-14-2014, 10:35 PM

Default My fingerpicking style, technically wrong, struggling to change!

Hi guys

I play mainly fingerstyle folky singer songwriter stuff. When I started fingerpicking I rested the edge of my palm on the bridge pins/bridge area. I didnt realise this was wrong, but ive since read that you should either anchor your arm at the elbow or use your pinky to anchor on the scratch plate. I can play pretty fast and accurately when i do it with my hand on the bridge pins, the main problem I find is the sound. Obviously Im picking close to the saddle which gives a less full and slightly twangy sound. Apart from that though I would be happy to play like this as I can play best this way.

I cant do the pinky on the scratch plate as I use my ring finger to pick and it just doesnt work with my pinky anchored.

I can float my hand, but I just cant even get cose to the speed and accuracy of my other way. Do you think its possible to get to the same standard with a floating hand?

Im a bit confused as I keep swapping between and need to settle with something and get on with it!

Any info greatly appreciated

Alex
Old 04-14-2014, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robodelfy View Post
Hi guys
I cant do the pinky on the scratch plate as I use my ring finger to pick and it just doesnt work with my pinky anchored.
Alex
I don't "anchor" the pinky on the scratch plate (hello, Brit friend!), but I do sorta touch it with my pinky finger/nail. To me, this provides a point of reference so that I know where the rest of my hand is.

But, you shouldn't be picking with the ring finger, exclusively. If you are using only one finger to pick, it should be your index finger. That way, as you progress, you can devote the middle finger and the ring finger to other strings.

But, again, this is all very subjective. You have to figure out what works for you - and practice, practice, practice.
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat

Last edited by Jerry D; 04-14-2014 at 11:14 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:08 PM

Ask any classical player if speed and accuracy is possible with a floating hand! If you watch them they are VERY technical and accurate in the way they play and all of them play with a floating hand so I would say yes.

I started playing with a floating hand and it took me some time but I became very comfortable with it. The result is I do not like to rest my hand or pinky on the guitar because it makes my hand feel somewhat tense and uncomfortable.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:24 PM

If I'm playing stuff like folk, Christmas music, etc I completely free float my hand. Country blues and other styles requiring muted bass, the heel of my palm sits right on the saddle to get that driving 'thump'. It does still take me a minute to settle in when I switch, but both ways can be learned.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 04-14-2014, 11:25 PM

Hi guys

Thanks. Just to clarify, I dont use my ring finger exclusively, I use my first three fingers to pick different strings. But when I plant my pinky, my ring finger cant move without my pinky curling up...they are attached to eachother!

So it seems maybe I should just concentrate on floating. Its so hard to make myself do it when I know I can play better the other way, especially if other people are around and Id prefer it to sound good.

Any other opinions of tips would be great too
Old 04-14-2014, 11:34 PM

I am guessing that when you try and free float your hand, that it is moving up and down with your plucking and thus reducing your accuracy??

It sounds like exactly the problem my son had when he started fingerpicking.

My strong suggestion is that you book a few lessons in with a classical guitar teacher. Explain to him/her that you want to work on your hand position and posture. Perhaps do about 3 lessons spaced 2 to 3 weeks apart and get them to check your posture and hand position each time to ensure you are sticking to the plan.

They may set you up with your guitar over your left leg etc. in the 'classical' position. That is no problem for now while you are learning the hand technique. Once the habit is ingrained, you can move the guitar back to your other leg. The important thing is to get your right hand working properly.

Your right arm should be anchored at the forearm part, against the lower bout of the guitar. Your hand should essentially 'hang' straight down from your forearm, which is at around a 45 degree angle.

It is important that you learn to pluck the strings moving only your fingers, and not your palm or wrist. Takes a lot of practice. Clean plucking technique with a nice follow through will get you a lot of volume and clarity. Keep your hand relaxed. There should be no tenseness anywhere in your arm.

Ensure that the guitar is stable and doesn't move around etc. You might have to move it inwards and tuck it against your body, using your right forearm to brace it steady against your leg and body to prevent it moving about.

That will give you a fairly stable platform. But like I said - talk to or book some time with a classical guitar teacher or friend and get them to check over your posture and fine tune it a bit more. An experienced teacher will be able to make tiny suggestions that make a big difference.

Good luck!
▌····║··(░)▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█████··
▐·······▄▄··▄▌··········ΦΦΦ···
·▀▀▄▄▄▀▀··▀▀··················
······························

» My name is Devan
» Guitar and Personal Blog.
» Guitar and Gear Review Site.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:41 PM

H, and thankyou

Well I think my finger and hand positioning is pretty good, its very much like you said when floating.

My problem is more that I hit the wrong bass strings on occasions with my thumb. I can play very cleanly at a much slower speed than when resting on the bridge. I guess that means that I just need to practise! Im just wondering if I will ever get to the same speed an accuracy as when I was resting my palm.

But thankyou for your tips, I am trying to concentrate on keeping my arm and hand from moving and just moving my fingers....and to keep loose!
Old 04-14-2014, 11:50 PM

The solution to your problem is called "planting", a classical technique used by most high-level fingerstylists but not talked about so much. You touch the string you are about to play just before you actually play it. Have a really good instructor explain it to you, or look at Scott Tennants "Pumping Nylon". Planting also helps with muting and general control, and eliminates any need for anchoring. It is ok to occasionally touch the top with your pinky but only very lightly. Any tension will hamper your playing, as you have discovered yourself.

Be aware that many players use the word "anchor" but mean different things. You should interpret this as an optional very light touch.

Lowden S25c - The Tool "Flying D" prototype - Heritage Eagle - MJT Thinline Telecaster - Fender CS 56 Stratocaster
Old 04-14-2014, 11:52 PM

Quote:
H, and thankyou

Well I think my finger and hand positioning is pretty good, its very much like you said when floating.

My problem is more that I hit the wrong bass strings on occasions with my thumb. I can play very cleanly at a much slower speed than when resting on the bridge. I guess that means that I just need to practise! Im just wondering if I will ever get to the same speed an accuracy as when I was resting my palm.

But thankyou for your tips, I am trying to concentrate on keeping my arm and hand from moving and just moving my fingers....and to keep loose!
Cool ! Once again, check that you have the 'classical' position with your hand.

By that, I mean that your right thumb should be pointing left - towards the headstock of the guitar. You should be plucking the bass strings with the inside edge of your thumb or thumbnail.

A common beginner issue is pointing the thumb straight towards the soundhole. As you get better with hand control, yes, you can adjust the thumb position to point inwards a little more. But while working on the independence of your thumb from your fingers, try the fingers hanging straight down, and the thumb pointing towards the headstock and see if you can get better accuracy like that.

The thumb should also be curved outwards (not inwards like a 'hook').

In all this, ensure that you have your fingernails also trimmed nicely. You don't want them too long or to have edges that catch.

EDIT: To answer the second part of your question - I have no doubt that you will be as fast, if not faster than you were before. All it takes is practice and you will be there. You will also have the added bonus of being able to move your whole hand up and down the guitar for different dynamics. It is really worth it to focus on practicing the 'new way'...
▌····║··(░)▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█████··
▐·······▄▄··▄▌··········ΦΦΦ···
·▀▀▄▄▄▀▀··▀▀··················
······························

» My name is Devan
» Guitar and Personal Blog.
» Guitar and Gear Review Site.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:27 AM

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the input, its great!

From your photo I can see I am playing the right way, and I think have a good position. But I think I need to work on what you said earlier, to not move my hand, just my fingers, as I think I move my hand more than necessary!

Its good to hear you think I will be able to play faster, it gives me the confidence to practise that technique more and give up on planting the palm, as much as it feels so natural now!

I will look up that idea of planting, placing a finger on teh string before playing it, it sounds interesting!
Old 04-15-2014, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Hi guys

Thanks. Just to clarify, I dont use my ring finger exclusively, I use my first three fingers to pick different strings. But when I plant my pinky, my ring finger cant move without my pinky curling up...they are attached to eachother!

So it seems maybe I should just concentrate on floating. Its so hard to make myself do it when I know I can play better the other way, especially if other people are around and Id prefer it to sound good.

Any other opinions of tips would be great too
I play with a "floating hand" as a result of a year of classical lessons twenty five years ago and find it works well for me. I can't play with a planted pinky.
I do have some small reference to hand position by the proximity of my ring finger to the first (high E) string, but don't rest on it (obviously).
I would say that if your present method allows you to do the things that you want to do and you are happy with the sound that you are getting then all is well. You probably would get a clearer sound with a little more sustain if your hand floated but there aren't really any "rules".
JMHO
MJRB
Old 04-15-2014, 02:34 AM

Hi

yeah well as I said the tone isnt great, it sounds like when you pick close to the saddle, kind of tinny and hollow. Its not great, and it varies from guitar to guitar!

I think floating is the way to go, as I will then be able to stick some strums in and generally be more fluent. Ive been playing all day and making sure I dont rest my palm, and Ive definitely picked up speed, so its just time now...!!

Thankyou :_)
Old 04-15-2014, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Hi guys

I play mainly fingerstyle folky singer songwriter stuff. When I started fingerpicking I rested the edge of my palm on the bridge pins/bridge area. I didnt realise this was wrong, but ive since read that you should either anchor your arm at the elbow or use your pinky to anchor on the scratch plate. I can play pretty fast and accurately when i do it with my hand on the bridge pins, the main problem I find is the sound. Obviously Im picking close to the saddle which gives a less full and slightly twangy sound. Apart from that though I would be happy to play like this as I can play best this way.

I can float my hand, but I just cant even get cose to the speed and accuracy of my other way. Do you think its possible to get to the same standard with a floating hand?

Im a bit confused as I keep swapping between and need to settle with something and get on with it!

Any info greatly appreciated

Alex
I too had to adjust my technique as I used to stabilize my hand by resting the the pinky and sometimes the ring finger on the soundboard. I now float my hand over the strings and can't play any other way. I took some lessons with a great fingerstyle guitarist. "Home" for my index, middle and ring finger is on the G, B, E strings rather than on the soundboard. Occasionally I will just touch these strings to stabilize my hand and find my place. After a while I got used to this and now it gives me the freedom I need to play much more intricate pieces. Took a couple months to get used to this practicing slowly each day until it felt comfortable. So glad I took those lessons.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:35 AM

you are so lucky that you can play with your 3rd finger.
I cannot.
I just checked. fingerpicked from the morning, nick drake tune.
I have my pinkly firmly planted below the sound hole.
my ring finger just sits there, just hanging out, enjoying the scenery.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:23 AM

I think it can be a mistake to change a style that works in order to be more "correct". It seems to me that, particularly outside the classical field, there are examples of great players who use almost every techique imaginable, and a few more besides! By all means experiment with different methods but if something works I'd stick with it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Tags
finger picking, fingers, fingerstyle