The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-28-2022, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
Since the T-bone Ovid System CC100 is a mic, I'm not understanding where you'd use a DI. Are you planning on plugging the CC100 into a DI on its way to the mixer or powered speaker? This is not usually needed on a mic.

I use SBT's on all my gigging instruments so it's easy to plug my Korg tuner pedal into my RedEye's effects loop. Just about every tuner pedal I've seen mutes the output when tuning. Of course most tuner pedals I've seen use 1/4" phone cord connections vs XLR so you'd need an adapter to plug the CC100 into it.

There are simple in-line XLR mute switches available. Never having used one I don't know what to recommend. Here's just one example.
Thanks, I'll take a look at these switches
Old 06-28-2022, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurdillo View Post

http://orchid-electronics.co.uk/Mic_Mute_lite.htm

Orchid Electronics stuff is generally excellent quality at low prices. I notice you're in Spain, that shouldn't be a problem.
Old 06-29-2022, 08:46 AM

The TC Polytune mini or regular size tuner pedal is one of the best solutions - any floor tuner pedal will have a mute that will let you kill just the guitar while you tune - there are many to choose from. Korg Pitch Black, or a Boss Tuner as well - I have all of those and have really gotten used to being able to just mute the guitar and with a quick full strum the TC Polytune will show you which string is out - it switches to single string automatically when you pluck just one string. Instead of having to reach over and hit the right small button on a mixer to mute a channel, the floor pedal tuner, seems to me, will be the most comfortable to use during a live set, and you'll never accidentally mute your mic channel...
Old 06-29-2022, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublescale1 View Post
The TC Polytune mini or regular size tuner pedal is one of the best solutions - any floor tuner pedal will have a mute that will let you kill just the guitar while you tune - there are many to choose from. Korg Pitch Black, or a Boss Tuner as well - I have all of those and have really gotten used to being able to just mute the guitar and with a quick full strum the TC Polytune will show you which string is out - it switches to single string automatically when you pluck just one string. Instead of having to reach over and hit the right small button on a mixer to mute a channel, the floor pedal tuner, seems to me, will be the most comfortable to use during a live set, and you'll never accidentally mute your mic channel...
Thank you for your info! My condenser mic need phantom power from the mixer, I think that the tuning pedal don’t would be a problem for the 48v power supply from the mixer…
Old 06-29-2022, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Thank you for your info! My condenser mic need phantom power from the mixer, I think that the tuning pedal don’t would be a problem for the 48v power supply from the mixer…
But first choose a mixer. I have never seen a mixer, even a two-channel one, that didn't have a mute button for each channel. I have to think picking the right mixer will be a lot easier than most of the other options offered.
Old 06-29-2022, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
But first choose a mixer. I have never seen a mixer, even a two-channel one, that didn't have a mute button for each channel
I can think of plenty, even, I would suggest, most of them.

Quote:

I have to think picking the right mixer will be a lot easier than most of the other options offered.
Easiest/cheapest option is a clip on tuner and a separate mute switch for the mic, either a pedal or possibly a mic lead with a switched XLR :

switched XLR on eBay

Last edited by shufflebeat; 06-29-2022 at 02:52 PM.
Old 06-29-2022, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
I can think of plenty, even, I would suggest, most of them.

Easiest/cheapest option is a clip on tuner and a separate mute switch for the mic, either a pedal or possibly a mic lead with a switched XLR :

switched XLR on eBay
Yeah, I was wrong on that. Both of my 3-4 channel mixers (a Peavey and a Mackie, both fairly old) have mute buttons on each channel but it does appear that they are the exception. So yeah, a mute on the mic cable is probably the simplest.
Old 06-29-2022, 08:45 PM

Quote:
The kind of microphone mute switch that Mandobart recommends is exactly what you need. Something that will go in the XLR line between your mic and the mixer, allowing you to keep the balanced signal and the phantom power while also allowing you to easily mute your signal with your foot so you can tune (using a clip-on or a tuning fork and your ears or whatever).

Louis
Old 07-02-2022, 10:50 AM

Thank you for all this great info!!
Old 07-02-2022, 11:55 AM

Radial make a cool little pedal that allows for muting mics. I have it (can’t remember the model), and use it to mute my vocal mic without having to go back to the mixer.
Old 07-02-2022, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Radial make a cool little pedal that allows for muting mics. I have it (can’t remember the model), and use it to mute my vocal mic without having to go back to the mixer.
I don't know if this is the unit you have in mind, but the Radial PZ-Pro is a pretty comprehensive 2-channel acoustic instrument preamp/DI, and it has a mic input on channel B that will feed 48v of phantom power to a condenser mic. It also has a mute switch and a tuner out (plus a ton of other features). I think its only rival on the market right now is the Grace Felix, but it's half the price.

https://www.radialeng.com/product/pz-pro

The older PZ-Pre is also a nice piece of equipment, but it has fewer features, no phantom power, no balanced input for a mic, and only one EQ shared by both channels.

@zurdillo: if you're in the market for something like it--and especially if you ever play two different guitars on stage or want to blend you mic signal with a pickup signal--you might want to have a look at the PZ-Pro.

Or, as I mentioned before, just pick up an in-line microphone mute switch.

Louis
Old 07-02-2022, 04:29 PM

Thank you very much for the info.

Since a switch xlr pedal seems the better solution and an economic tuning pedal do this job at half price, I will test this option because I will have the switch and perhaps a usable tuner 👍🏼😊
Old 07-04-2022, 07:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meb View Post
The mixers that seem most often recommended on this forum are A&H, Soundcraft Notepad,
and smaller Yamahas. None of these have a mute button.
I also found it puzzling that so few on agf cared about the mute feature.
True. A workaround I've found on the smaller Yamaha mixer I've used is that the pad button can function as a mute for the acoustic guitar channel unless you have a really hot signal going into it.
Old 07-04-2022, 05:03 PM

Here's a $25 mute pedal that also includes a tuner:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ic-tuner-tu300

Actually, it's electronically equivalent to a Boss tuner pedal. You can power it with a 9v battery or an external 9v power supply.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification