The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-15-2019, 08:06 PM

Default Grippiest guitar pick...

Greetings... been several years since I've visited here. Im surprised I remembered my login. 😀
So what can you recommend? I have diabetes and my hands are extremely dry and have reduced feeling and when I really get playing I tend to drop my pick.

Also, is there anything that works that actually goes all the way around my thumb or my forefinger kind of like a fingerpicking set up...but I want to be able to strum like with a normal pic...so those are too thick.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

I have been using Dunlop Primetone picks about a year and love them, I just don't drop a pick any more, they have small nubbies on them.

A most definite solution would be... if I could find it... a nice forum member from some forum sent me a pick years ago and it had real heavy, like 100 lb test, monofilament fishing line looped through a hole in the pick. You put the loop over your thumb and if you let go, the pick stayed in place! Due to the permanent memory of the super heavy monofilament, which stayed in a permanent arc shape.

I saw a commercial product recently that made me think of my homemade pick but after searching my bookmarks, I cannot find it for you!

I saved the hand-drawn instructions the fellow sent me years ago and I hope I can someday find that! I remember putting it into my guitar case, so, off I go looking into my old guitars.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:28 PM

Welcome back to the forum. I have found two pick grips to works really well:

1. Monster Grip (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) These are stickers you can place on both sides of the pick. I have them on every pick I use. With the exception of...

2. Guitay Moose soft grip picks (https://guitarmoose.com/shop?olsPage...r-pick-classic) I actually have the carbon fiber pick with this grip. But the grip itself it very comfortable and doesn't budge when used.

Hope that helps.
Preston Thompson: O Koa
Old 01-15-2019, 08:36 PM

Ive recommended the Cats Tongue pick to others and they like them..Its the only one I use. It really does feel like a cats tongue and I don't drop my picks anymore.
https://www.long-mcquade.com/73004/G..._088_Black.htm
Old 01-15-2019, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D41Fan View Post
Ive recommended the Cats Tongue pick to others and they like them..Its the only one I use. It really does feel like a cats tongue and I don't drop my picks anymore.
https://www.long-mcquade.com/73004/G..._088_Black.htm
My Primetone picks have a texture kinda like that. Primetone picks are dark brown and easy to lose. Yours come in different colors, that's good! And they are cheap! I have no idea how they'd sound, and how much pick noise there would be, I don't see the type of material it's made from.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:43 PM

Take something sharp, like a dart, and gouge some deep X's into both sides.

Or look for picks that have thumb indentations, or holes in them so you can feel your thumb and finger connect--Wegen and Red Bear both make them, among others.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 01-15-2019, 08:45 PM

...Or just buy a V-Pick and stop dropping your pick.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 01-15-2019, 08:53 PM

Wow... A lot of great suggestions so quickly!
Thanks! I'm gonna look into all of these mentioned above and below.

Last edited by Triumph1050; 01-15-2019 at 09:00 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumph1050 View Post
I have diabetes and my hands are extremely dry and have reduced feeling and when I really get playing I tend to drop my pick.
I have the exact same issue. Take care of yourself.

Quote:
Also, is there anything that works that actually goes all the way around my thumb or my forefinger kind of like a fingerpicking set up...but I want to be able to strum like with a normal pic...so those are too thick.
Herco and Goat Whiskey both make flatpicks that are shaped like a standard pick but have a wraparound that goes around your thumb to keep it from falling, slipping or flying out of your fingers.

I recently got some of the Hercos and still need to experiment further. It is an odd sensation and will require getting used to...possibly a change in technique, at least for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
...Or just buy a V-Pick and stop dropping your pick.
These really are great picks. I have two, both insanely thick rounded triangle shapes. They are acrylic I believe and look like they would slide around all over the place, but even though they have smooth surfaces they really stay put better than about anything else I've tried.

I've tried many dozens of different picks, but not nearly as many varieties and brands as are available of course.

Best of luck to you.

- John Shedd
Old 01-15-2019, 08:59 PM

I don't flatpick too much, but the ones I stumbled on that work best for me are the Dunlop Primetones (mentioned above) I also have dry hands and use a lot of hand cream to keep them a bit more supple. I have a touch of neuropathy in my finger tips (secondary to kidney disease) so, I know just what you mean by not actually feeling the pick. Hand cream and Primetones work for me.
Blueridge BR-142
Recording King R0-T16
Alvarez AP66SHB
Old 01-15-2019, 09:03 PM

The V-Pick for acoustic guitarists is called the Traditional UL if you're looking for the Fender Med. style pick, in case anyone wants to know.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 01-15-2019, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

I've always had trouble holding on to picks. On Amazon I order PickWorld MojoGrip Rubber Grip picks. These are "standard" shaped celluloid or Delrin picks fitted into a rubber sleeve "grip". The pointy playing end of the pick sticks out the bottom. I find them very easy to hold. What I like is that when a pick tip breaks you can pull the old pick out of the grip and put a new pick in. You can also use different thicknesses or material if you like.https://www.amazon.com/PickWorld-MG3...87W4XH5ZZYENMR While the grips w/pick are little expensive (3pak/$4.99) you can reuse the grips for a while until they wear out. I also like "Snarling Dog Brain Picks" which have sharp dimples on the surface that is VERY "grippy". You wouldn't know it from the photos, but they are very non-slip. Good luck!

Last edited by gmel555; 01-15-2019 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:11 PM

Hey Triumph, how goes it? I'll second the recommendation of Guitar Moose picks. The foam grip at the top really adds thickness and is quite "sticky". This is my #1 pick out of a large batch.

Runner-up is Cat Tongue. Nice grip but doesn't have the foammy stuff.

Hope you find one that works for you.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:16 PM

I use the Wegan Bluegrass teardrop

https://www.stringsandbeyond.com/weblgupiseto.html

The holes make it lightweight and will not slip out. Ever. Even for hard-hitting strummers such as myself. They aren't cheap, but sound and feel better then anything else I've tried.
1980 Martin D41
2001 Gibson J-150
2021 Gibson J-150 Noel Gallagher
Old 01-15-2019, 09:26 PM

I'll second the Guitar Moose pick for having a good grip and being a good all around pick. I'm using the carbon fiber and they last forever. When I think about it I wash the grip in warm soapy water and it's like new again.

David

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion