The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 11-28-2018, 11:08 AM
mr. beaumont mr. beaumont is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 7,596
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
I get a more than passable "early British Invasion" tone from flatwounds, as well -- would be better on a Gretsch or Rickenbacker, of course!
Definitely!

I think the Beatles used flatwounds on their acoustics on those early records too.
__________________
Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-28-2018, 11:28 AM
Willie Voltaire Willie Voltaire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 5,059
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormin1155 View Post

That's amazing!!
__________________
Gibson LG2, Waterloo WL12, Guild D30, National M2, Gretsch Jim Dandy, Fouke Industrial Indy-8 lap steel
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-28-2018, 01:19 PM
Woolbury Woolbury is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Evergreen,CO
Posts: 191
Default

Here's my entry to arch tops. A ES125T(thin line), 1959, with a single P90. Listening to Kenny Burrell constantly, hoping to gain some licks by osmosis!

__________________
'46 Gibson LG2
'95 Collings 0002H
'80s Martin M36
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-28-2018, 01:34 PM
beatcomber beatcomber is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Lexington, Massachusetts
Posts: 202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Definitely!

I think the Beatles used flatwounds on their acoustics on those early records too.
Definitely flats on the P90-equipped Gibson J-160E's that John and George used.

I'm not sure what Paul used on the 1964 Epiphone Texan that he used on "Yesterday."
__________________
Acoustics:
1964 Gibson F25 Folksinger
2007 Gretsch Americana

...and a bunch of nice electrics too!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-28-2018, 05:58 PM
DanR DanR is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: St. Clair Shores, MI
Posts: 1,532
Default

Here is my Kay Mercury. I can only pinpoint it's birth year as between '62 and '65.

__________________
===================================
'12 Martin OM-28 Custom Shop
'14 Martin HD-28
'16 Halcyon NL-00 (TLutz/EIR #144)
'07 Gibson J-45 '68 reissue
'18 Martin 000-18

Last edited by DanR; 11-28-2018 at 06:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-28-2018, 09:13 PM
mr. beaumont mr. beaumont is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 7,596
Default

Cool to see lots of "Kay love" in this thread.
__________________
Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-28-2018, 10:11 PM
Steve DeRosa Steve DeRosa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 8,503
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
I get a more than passable "early British Invasion" tone from flatwounds, as well -- would be better on a Gretsch or Rickenbacker, of course!
The Beatles definitely used flatwounds on their electric instruments in the early days (most likely the Pyramid brand fitted as OEM on German-made Hofner instruments to this day), as did all the other first-wave British Invasion acts - the sound is unmistakable, and if you've been looking to cop that vibe with roundwounds it's not going to happen, period. Speaking as both a Gretsch and Rick owner (the former since 1964) who has been using flats since back in the day, don't sell them short on P-90 electrics - the boys used Epi Casinos from mid-1965, and not only can I get those Help/Rubber Soul era tones from my Godin CW II, but a very convincing approximation of George Harrison's Cavern Club single-cut Duo-Jet from my P-90 LP Studio; needless to say, if you own one of the Beatle guitars and an EL84 amp you owe it to yourself to try a set of flats - one of the iconic tones of rock, and greatly underappreciated in an era when tube amps are too often thought of in terms of massive amounts of gain and distortion...
__________________
"I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure."
- Mark Twain
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-28-2018, 10:15 PM
zmf zmf is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 4,934
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
The Beatles definitely used flatwounds on their electric instruments in the early days (most likely the Pyramid brand fitted as OEM on German-made Hofner instruments to this day), as did all the other first-wave British Invasion acts - the sound is unmistakable, and if you've been looking to cop that vibe with roundwounds it's not going to happen, period. Speaking as both a Gretsch and Rick owner (the former since 1964) who has been using flats since back in the day, don't sell them short on P-90 electrics - the boys used Epi Casinos from mid-1965, and not only can I get those Help/Rubber Soul era tones from my Godin CW II, but a very convincing approximation of George Harrison's Cavern Club single-cut Duo-Jet from my P-90 LP Studio; needless to say, if you own one of the Beatle guitars and an EL84 amp you owe it to yourself to try a set of flats - one of the iconic tones of rock, and greatly underappreciated in an era when tube amps are too often thought of in terms of massive amounts of gain and distortion...
Wow. Now that's passion.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-29-2018, 12:31 AM
drgroovinmind drgroovinmind is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 151
Default

Here's my 1924 Gibson L4. Check out some old Eddie Lang Tunes and that's the sound it has.






__________________
Too Many, Not Enough, all I can think is MORE!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-29-2018, 12:44 AM
Willie Voltaire Willie Voltaire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 5,059
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
if you own one of the Beatle guitars and an EL84 amp you owe it to yourself to try a set of flats - one of the iconic tones of rock, and greatly underappreciated in an era when tube amps are too often thought of in terms of massive amounts of gain and distortion...
I share your reverence for flatwounds and single-ended tube amps, but don't paint current trends with too broad a brush. The mega-distortion guys are all using bi- and tri-amped SS modeling rigs these days. But bands like the Black Keys, Temples, Jack White, Shakey Graves, etc. are using vintage and classic gear, because they share our appreciation for those vintage and classic tones. (Some of) the kids are alright!
__________________
Gibson LG2, Waterloo WL12, Guild D30, National M2, Gretsch Jim Dandy, Fouke Industrial Indy-8 lap steel
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-29-2018, 08:21 AM
Howard Emerson Howard Emerson is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Huntington Station, New York
Posts: 5,938
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgroovinmind View Post
Here's my 1924 Gibson L4. Check out some old Eddie Lang Tunes and that's the sound it has.






Maybe the only 12 fret archtop?

Love the headstock & tuner buttons!

HE
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-29-2018, 12:23 PM
Spyvito Spyvito is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 126
Default



1928 Gibson L4. Using SC Low Tension strings (these or Mids on all my guitars) although it came with flatwounds that sounded horrible. Probably because it takes a weightier set to move that thick carved top.

I am very surprised with how great it plays, use it mostly for strumming old standards. It is a 90 year old babe.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-29-2018, 01:34 PM
Willie Voltaire Willie Voltaire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 5,059
Default

WOW -- these vintage pieces are amazing! Thanks for posting!
__________________
Gibson LG2, Waterloo WL12, Guild D30, National M2, Gretsch Jim Dandy, Fouke Industrial Indy-8 lap steel
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-29-2018, 02:19 PM
Livingston's Avatar
Livingston Livingston is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 4,047
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post


Heritage 575



Godin Kingpin



1950's Kay

Loves me some archtop!
Wonderful guitars and beautiful, masterful playing! Thanks for posting your videos!
__________________
“Sometimes you have to play a long time to be able to play like yourself”
— Miles Davis.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-29-2018, 08:41 PM
mr. beaumont mr. beaumont is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 7,596
Default

Thank you!
__________________
Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=