The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-16-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
So I was just thinking if you're concerned about privacy especially from "Big Brother" seems perhaps your username floating around the internet could be as potentially problematic as Google notifying Sweetwater you have been searching guitars on the internet !!!! Just a thought
Look up the Ring doorbell privacy news if you are unaware for a good example of matters to consider. To be fair Amazon acquired them later but tech news has had some Alexa topics that were worth considering. Smart TVs are another place to be concerned.

This is also a challenge because Google is just really good with some of their products. Maps is a perfect example. Apple maps is much improved but Google has a much bigger feature set.

The recent Apple sign in Las Vegas was trolling and marketing at once, but Apple's not wrong. People make fun of the proprietary cables, but you can do some reading to see Apple (and Microsoft) are better friends than others on the privacy topic.

Old 01-16-2019, 03:28 PM

I just checked with Dogpile, I use to use it but went to Google and got lazy.

https://www.dogpile.com/

Fog
Old 01-16-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
Maps is a perfect example.
As a wind-battered tramp I can assure you Google Maps is the one product that sucks. I rarely use it, although I use several other online map services and navigation apps. For images I started to use Bing since google rendered image search completely useless.

As for privacy and ads, they allmost allways fail to show me the products that I actually want, sometimes quite hillariously so I think the advertisers waste a lot of money. On me anyhow.

Furch G24SF
Furch D31SR
Furch Om22CM
Sire Marcus Miller M7 Bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic