The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-17-2019, 10:50 AM

Default Best Portable Recorder For Acoustic Duo?

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a small (possibly handheld) recorder to record gigs as an acoustic duo (guitar & vocals).

The setup we use is as follows:

Vocal PA w/2 cabs & powered sub.
Nylon & Steel strung acoustic guitars into Roland AC-60 "lined" into 1 (sometimes 2) channel(s) on PA.

I am new to this kind of thing and i just want something to record a reasonable quality "live" demo without spending huge amounts of money.

I have been looking at the Tascom DR-05 but I really don't know that much about what I really need so don't want to buy the wrong thing.

Any advice offerred would be greatly received.

TIA, Steve
Old 01-17-2019, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steviebee74 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a small (possibly handheld) recorder to record gigs as an acoustic duo (guitar & vocals).

The setup we use is as follows:

Vocal PA w/2 cabs & powered sub.
Nylon & Steel strung acoustic guitars into Roland AC-60 "lined" into 1 (sometimes 2) channel(s) on PA.

I am new to this kind of thing and i just want something to record a reasonable quality "live" demo without spending huge amounts of money.

I have been looking at the Tascom DR-05 but I really don't know that much about what I really need so don't want to buy the wrong thing.

Any advice offerred would be greatly received.

TIA, Steve
Hi Steve…

Do you want to record the sound in the room, or directly off the gear to the recorder?

If it's just the room, the DR-05 would be fine.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-17-2019, 02:24 PM

As what was mentioned, the DR-05 would be fine for room sound. If you think you might want to connect external mics or lines, the DR-40, for a little more money would work as well.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:40 PM

I have a DR-05, and it would work for you, but be aware the capsules are omni and may not be the best choice if you want to focus more on the instruments and vocals. Don't worry about capturing "room sound", you'll have plenty using a recorder with cardiod mics.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:12 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies. So, (in theory at least) if I spent a little more and got the DR-40, I could also run a line into the recorder and blend the mic signal with the line?

I’m guessing the DR-05 is unable to do this?

Thanks again,

Steve
Old 01-18-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steviebee74 View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies. So, (in theory at least) if I spent a little more and got the DR-40, I could also run a line into the recorder and blend the mic signal with the line?

I’m guessing the DR-05 is unable to do this?

Thanks again,

Steve
The DR-05 has a stereo mic input located between the two omni capsules. If a stereo 1/8" mini cable is plugged in then the internal mics are disabled and you can use an external signal. That can be from external microphones or even from a small mixer where multiple inputs can be combined.

For what you're trying to accomplish any of the small handheld recorders should work for you. The trick is getting an acceptable balance from voices and the instruments. That's why folks opt to use a recorder with multiple inputs and record vocals and instruments on separate tracks where they can be used in a DAW and edited to come up with a good end product.

Better results mean a lot more money, complexity, setup, signal monitoring, etc. Often the less expensive route proves to be acceptable.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:02 AM

I agree with Rudy4. You Tube has videos on the DR-05 and 40.
They might help to give an idea of the functions that might be best for you.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:16 PM

Any of the Zoom recorders ... I have an old Zoom H2 and it is easy to use and makes outstanding recordings in all kinds of formats

MostlyElectric

Acoustic

Martin D18 (1970), Yamaha LS6
Old 01-27-2019, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme789 View Post
Any of the Zoom recorders ... I have an old Zoom H2 and it is easy to use and makes outstanding recordings in all kinds of formats
Hi g-789

I agree. I own at present:
Zoom h1n
Zoom h2n
Zoom h4
Zoom h4n

The H4n would do what he asked (record recorder's mics mixed with external line in). I use one with a uni-directional studio mic to record audio for video, and it's great! I can feed it phantom power from the H4n and capture great audio.

For me concerning field recorders, it's not just about features but functionality and ease of operation. Field recorders in each price category record pretty much equally well.

The DR05 is a bit cheaper, but the Zooms have always maintained the best balance between 'functions' and 'ease of use' and post processing the sound.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-27-2019, 09:24 AM

While it might seem reasonable to take a stereo mix off the PA, it rarely works out well. The method that worked best for me (in a similar situation) was to position my Zoom H2n in front of a main speaker, set either compression or limiter, and record. This gives me what the room hears.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD