The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-15-2019, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1951 View Post
You had to tell me this...[emoji35]

I graduated from high school in 1969.

Well, at least there was a lot of great, diverse music then. Music that has stood the test if time.
Graduated in 1967. Off topic probably, but I wonder what music the kids who graduate from HS this year will remember in 2069? I agree, our time's music has staying power. Perhaps the kids of today will say, "Yeah, I listened to Led Zeppelin, the Beatles, et. al" , could be?
Old 01-15-2019, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

Saw Led Zeppelin twice, both times in Chicago, spring and fall 1969. They played two sets the first time, and we were about 20 feet from the stage. Excellent concert, fresh, great performances, and all the songs from their first album. For the second, they played twice, with each set being a separate concert, and songs from their second album. We went to the first afternoon show, and it was okay, but Page looked like he was getting strung out and struggling to put in a passable effort.
My friends and I were huge Zeppelin fans, however when the 3rd album came out, we were seriously disappointed. I know the band thought it was great new work, and liked to run down their first album, but we didn’t get it, starting with Plant’s opening screech on Immigrant Song.
IMO the super group experience and subsequent rock star excesses were emblematic of the perils of success in the 70’s and 80’s.
The Bands Last Waltz movie (by Scorcese) in comparison with The Song Remains the Same (both on Amazon and made around 1974), illustrate what I’m getting at.
I prefer to remember the group I saw at that first performance.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 01-15-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Well, 50 years (Jan 12, 1969) since Led Zeppelin released their first album. Just think about the rock history they put together. Jimmy Page playing Stairway to Heaven live on the Gibson doubleneck is a classic picture.

I know we have fans here on the AGF. What are your memories?
Zeppelin 1 was probably my favorite. So pure and raw. Stairway to Heaven was on Led Zeppelin 1V. My favorite band of all time.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Yes, the iconic Stairway to Heaven. But beware playing it in some guitar stores. You may get bodily thrown out.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 01-15-2019, 05:07 PM

I gigged Stairway to Heaven once on the Page replica Epiphone double neck. That guitar had lots of neck dive. Rock 'n Roll was part of each set list and we did Communication Breakdown a few times too.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:58 PM

When Zep 1 first came out, my neighbour bought the record and asked me over to listen to it. I knew nothing of Zep then. First few notes of "Good Times Bad Times" and BOOM I was completely hooked. That album hit me like a freakin ton of brick. No album ever did that before or since. I remember it like it was yesterday. I promptly bought my own copy and I still have it and still play it. Never gets old.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

King Crimson was formed 50 years ago, on January 13th, 1969.

Still touring today, albeit in a much-transmogrified form. I'd put Fripp and KC way up there with other pioneers like Zappa, Yes, and Led Zeppelin.

Led Zep 2 was a wakeup call. Hot Rats was mind-blowing. In the Court of the Crimson King inspirational, and the Yes album, transformational.

There was a lot of very fine music being made back then.

I believe I'm beginning to sound like my dear departed father. I wish I could tell him that I now understand Frank Sinatra.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 01-15-2019, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannx View Post
Saw Led Zeppelin twice, both times in Chicago, spring and fall 1969. They played two sets the first time, and we were about 20 feet from the stage. Excellent concert, fresh, great performances, and all the songs from their first album. For the second, they played twice, with each set being a separate concert, and songs from their second album. We went to the first afternoon show, and it was okay, but Page looked like he was getting strung out and struggling to put in a passable effort.
My friends and I were huge Zeppelin fans, however when the 3rd album came out, we were seriously disappointed. I know the band thought it was great new work, and liked to run down their first album, but we didn’t get it, starting with Plant’s opening screech on Immigrant Song.
IMO the super group experience and subsequent rock star excesses were emblematic of the perils of success in the 70’s and 80’s.
The Bands Last Waltz movie (by Scorcese) in comparison with The Song Remains the Same (both on Amazon and made around 1974), illustrate what I’m getting at.
I prefer to remember the group I saw at that first performance.
I can relate to the idea of going back to the origins and beginnings of any artist’s output; some of the most influential and original work often happens there. Self conscious degeneration seems to go in hand with later recognition and fame. I’m always turning the clock back on art to look for the fork in the road when that new development happens which can be seminal and influence many others. Art history courses I took followed this approach too.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:23 PM

Location: Nowhere man please listen you don't know what you're missing

Wow, has it been that long since Zep cheated so many artists of their rightful royalties by stealing intellectual property rights. They should be dq'ed from the HOF!
Old 01-16-2019, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Wow, you were part of the scene. If you have any time to post a thread about what bands you saw etc. I would be all ears.
Mr. Moustache is packed to the gills with wisdom and amazing anecdotes from the heyday of British blues and rock & roll.

Reading back, this seems like it could come across as sarcasm, but I couldn't be more sincere.

The man has lived it.

- John Shedd
Old 01-24-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Grenier View Post
When Zep 1 first came out, my neighbour bought the record and asked me over to listen to it. I knew nothing of Zep then. First few notes of "Good Times Bad Times" and BOOM I was completely hooked. That album hit me like a freakin ton of brick. No album ever did that before or since. I remember it like it was yesterday. I promptly bought my own copy and I still have it and still play it. Never gets old.
I was a teen playing guitar in a garage band (which, by the way, never got past the garage ) when one of the guys said "you HAVE to hear this album!" We went inside a listened to it. Like Daniel, the first few notes just captivated me. I have heard a lot of great albums in my life but I cannot recall ever having that same feeling of being 'hooked' so very quickly. Years later I heard of how fast the laid down those recordings in the studio. Incredible!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic