The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-11-2019, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Just had a shock to realize I have 3 carbon instruments, I hadn't really thought about it in terms of quantity.
Emerald Amicus, Rainsong APLE and a Mcpherson Sable. The Sable is my fav and most used, living in the Midwest I use it for gigs during winter so I don't have to worry about checking and finish issues caused by the cold and fast warm ups.
I'm going to sell the APLE as I don't use it enough, it's a fine guitar but being a lead player I find the 12 frets limiting, I really cannot complain about the instrument at all it does everything with aplomb, I just need those extra frets.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Two Rainsongs. A P-12 I've had for 5 years that I've used primarily as a travel guitar and a brand new CO-WS1005NST. The new WS is a cannon! It stands up extremely well tone wise against my Collings, Santa Cruz, Froggy Bottom, Robinson, and Taylors.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 01-11-2019, 09:09 PM

Probably no surprise that this is my favorite. I have a McPherson Sable and an X20 too. Once had a McPherson Touring. No competition at all.

Old 01-12-2019, 01:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by byudzai View Post
Probably no surprise that this is my favorite. I have a McPherson Sable and an X20 too. Once had a McPherson Touring. No competition at all.

Nice...anxiously awaiting mine!

Todd in Chicago
Old 01-12-2019, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChicagoTodd View Post
Nice...anxiously awaiting mine!

Todd in Chicago
Put 13/56 elixir polywebs on it! Good lord this thing sounds like a symphony.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:26 AM
Charter Member

Default 2018 Sable

My first dabble with carbon was a Composite Acoustic back in the day. It was an opener.

Recently I have had the following:

Kevin Michael Touring by Mcpherson it was a really great 3/4 guitar. Now owned by a very good friend.

Rainsong P-12. This little amazes.
Rainsong Al Petteway Ltd Ed, APLE. A souped up “shorty” that is excellent.

Mcpherson Honeycomb Gold Sable. This second generation CF was re-issued in April 2018. After hearing from Larry Klenc, VP at Mcpherson about all the upgrades and improvements in the newer model I went ahead and placed my order from Brendan at Heart Breaker Guitars. The price was the best available on the market.

Because they can’t keep these in stock it was arranged for me to receive my Sable directly from Mcpherson. Larry made sure that my Sable spec’d out to the “T” and it’s setup was spot on.

This is the same profile as their Camrielle model.

Fit and finish is in same quality as is all Mcpherson guitars...superb.
Playability is one those guitars where you can play all day.
Tonally is where it really stands out amongst all the CF guitars and even is better than many all wood guitars. Not only loud and proud it is excellent in all styles of play.

Comes with LR Baggs pickup. Two saddles low and medium action. Each saddle is crafted for only your guitar. Yes, Mcpherson doesn’t just rush out the CF guitars. Each one is setup individually.

Did I say this is my favorite CF?

Listen: https://youtu.be/_gMyI7StcTE

Talk soon
Alan
1980 Nakade classical, Spruce/EIR
and... a bunch of ukulele
Old 01-12-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palolowarrior View Post
My first dabble with carbon was a Composite Acoustic back in the day. It was an opener.

Recently I have had the following:

Kevin Michael Touring by Mcpherson it was a really great 3/4 guitar. Now owned by a very good friend.

Rainsong P-12. This little amazes.
Rainsong Al Petteway Ltd Ed, APLE. A souped up “shorty” that is excellent.

Mcpherson Honeycomb Gold Sable. This second generation CF was re-issued in April 2018. After hearing from Larry Klenc, VP at Mcpherson about all the upgrades and improvements in the newer model I went ahead and placed my order from Brendan at Heart Breaker Guitars. The price was the best available on the market.

Because they can’t keep these in stock it was arranged for me to receive my Sable directly from Mcpherson. Larry made sure that my Sable spec’d out to the “T” and it’s setup was spot on.

This is the same profile as their Camrielle model.

Fit and finish is in same quality as is all Mcpherson guitars...superb.
Playability is one those guitars where you can play all day.
Tonally is where it really stands out amongst all the CF guitars and even is better than many all wood guitars. Not only loud and proud it is excellent in all styles of play.

Comes with LR Baggs pickup. Two saddles low and medium action. Each saddle is crafted for only your guitar. Yes, Mcpherson doesn’t just rush out the CF guitars. Each one is setup individually.

Did I say this is my favorite CF?

Listen: https://youtu.be/_gMyI7StcTE

Talk soon
Alan
Alan,

I really enjoyed your write up on the McPhearson guitars. Having played them, I agree with you, the fit and finish is outstanding. I like the fact that they are like a wood luthier, and take the time to build a quality guitar, paired with a great set up. Quality vs quantity.

I am curious what strings you are using. I want Kramster to put some different strings on as the ones they came with were not great.

Fabulous write up, thank you!

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 01-12-2019, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

On my McPherson Touring, I use D'Addario EJ-16. But, then that is what I always use on any steel string - my Cargos and the Huss & Dalton 00.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 01-12-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
On my McPherson Touring, I use D'Addario EJ-16. But, then that is what I always use on any steel string - my Cargos and the Huss & Dalton 00.

Tony
It’s tough to go wrong with EJ-16s!
Old 01-12-2019, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

It came with Elixir PB Nano’s medium.
On my next change I will be using Martin Lifespan 2.0 mediums to see what sounds best.
1980 Nakade classical, Spruce/EIR
and... a bunch of ukulele
Old 01-12-2019, 06:58 PM
Guest 928

PPalo;

Yes, you did, note that this was your favorite guitar. And you have obviously bonded. Cool!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber