The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 07-23-2006, 08:15 PM

Default Here's the story.

My wife and I made it there around 4:30 PM, and I signed in. We brought the equipment to the dining area where I was to play, and I set it up by the piano while my wife took a seat in the empty room.
I was using my acoustic Genzbenz Shenandoah amp, Martin 000M guitar, and mic with stand, and a pick up for the guitar. (and Hohner harmonica for the songs in C)
I went and got a cappuccino and when I came back there was still no one there. Many of them were just leaving the chapel after church services, so my wife said: “If you start playing, they will come.” (Insert your own ‘Field of Dreams’ joke here.)
Sitting down on the piano bench, I started playing a slow picking style song with a little harmonica accompaniment. For a brief moment, some of the kitchen staff popped their heads in the room, but then went back to their duties.
After the song, my wife applauded. I told her if she didn’t settle down, I would be forced to call security. We both had a laugh, and even though there was still no one there, I decided to keep going since the acoustics were pretty good.
During the second song, I began to wonder if the woman in charge of the volunteer program knew what she was talking about when she told me that playing during the dinner hour would be preferable. But, noooooooo, I had to see if I could draw a crowd instead. Poor, silly naïve me.
Somewhere around the fourth song, an old woman rolled in and took her spot at a table in the corner with her back to us. A short time later, another went to her exact spot at another table. I remembered when my mother was in for a broken hip last year, and everyone had their assigned seat where they ate every night.
I continued playing for the two women (and my wife) and even though I couldn’t see their faces, after the song, one of them applauded. My wife gave me a big smile and a thumbs up, as if this could now be considered a smashing success.
Out of the corner of my eye, I would notice one, than another, and yet another old woman come rolling into the dining room and take their prospective seats. Some were brought in by staff, but most came in on their own.
The applause grew louder after each song, and some were adding their own comments from time to time, like: “Very nice,” and “Just wonderful,” and somewhere out there I heard, “God bless you.” It could have been a response to someone sneezing, but I chose to believe it was for me and my music.
Some of the other conversations taking place were not what one would usually hear:
“Is it dinnertime?”
“Yes, Gladys, it will be dinnertime real soon.”
“But, I thought you said it was SUMMERtime?" Which is it?”
During one of the fast songs, there was a woman seated nearby who was moving her head to the music. My wife told me later that she thought it was Parkinson’s, but I KNOW it was the hard driving beat of ‘Mean-eyed Cat,” that had her rockin’ out.
When the room was full, I noticed there were only two, maybe three men in there. Some of my tunes were traditional coal miner tunes geared toward the men, but the women seemed to enjoy them also.
I never saw so many sweet, smiling faces in a crowd since, well…never.
I’ve only been playing at places for about a year, but in the Dunn Bros. coffee shops, and the sandwich place where I play regularly, the best I could hope for is the few (or one, or none) people per night who stop to take the time to let me know they really enjoyed the music, or just give me a thumbs up or a smile.
It was great feeling the mass gratitude, and I made a mental note to learn some of the songs they may know for a later date.
When it was over, I thanked them, and quickly packed up the gear. We left just as the dinners were being served and I marked the time, so as to try and plan the next time for when they all have to get in there and wait for dinner. Everyone is required to be in there a half hour before the meals arrive, so I think it’s a good time to play so maybe the wait doesn’t seem so long.

All in all, it was an interesting, (even though it wouldn’t hit me till later) and fulfilling experience, and I’m already looking forward to doing it again.
I read an article once about the healing power of laughter and how beneficial it can be to our health, but I feel that music can have that same effect. It has always been not only my passion, but also my bliss.
If I can return even a small portion of the joy it has given me, to any audience, than I am a happy man.
However, I still believe that financial compensation can be the icing on the cake.
Not just to cover expenses, but there are always those times that you really don’t feel like doing a gig, and if it’s on a volunteer basis, it is always easier for me to justify skipping it.
When there is pay, (even a little) it gives you that extra incentive to go, even if you don’t really feel up to it, and hopefully, once you get started, the adrenalin (and caffeine) kicks in, and you can make the folks happy.
And if the money goes back into a new guitar, the audience will see a much happier musician when he (or she) pulls that brand new Taylor 714 out of the case.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:23 AM

Thumbs up

Congratulations on your performance. Isn’t it cool how you can go somewhere for an hour and end up with a weeks worth of memories. I play today at 2:00 and I will give an update afterward.
Webber Roundbody cutaway
Taylor Big Baby
Taylor T5

[[email protected]
Old 07-24-2006, 01:50 PM

John, that was a GREAT post! It sounds like it was a great thing for you and the audience. What a wonderful motivator for others who are interested in doing this!

Thanks for the follow-up!
Old 07-25-2006, 08:47 AM

I agree that a retirement community and a nursing home are very different. I have been paid $50 to $75 to play an hour at nursing homes. They usually have a budget for activities, and I don't think anyone should be ashamed to be compensated for doing something ... just because it is a nice thing you are doing ... for sick and elderly people. You know? Do you think the people who provide food services or bring in the other activities do it all for free?

Not that it isn't cool to volunteer at times, if you want to. I'm just saying that for those of us who play music for a living, we just can't volunteer all of the time.

But I am about to volunteer to play at one place because one of my friends is now staying there. (He is in his eighties.)

Actually, I don't really look for this kind of work, so I don't do it too often.

One of the places that hires me once or twice a year for $75 is a place that only knows about me because I volunteered one December to come in and sing Christmas songs. They approached me afterwards and asked if I wanted to be on the schedule, and told me they had a budget, etc.

I also work for an organization that provides musical entertainment in hospital rooms, bedside. It is a non-profit organization that has a budget and compensates the musicians who participate at the rate of $45 per hour of service. Because I drive from a neighboring city to participate, they usually schedule me to play at two facilities that are near each other, so I'll get in two hours or playing. It costs me $15 in gas to even go and takes about 5 hours of my time, so I'm not really doing it for the money. I only do it once a month or so. But it is a wonderful service they provide, I think it is great.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:38 AM
Guitar Gourmet

And on the light side, it occurs to me that the title of this thread would make a great band name, say for a Southern rock band...

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-25-2006, 10:37 AM

Played at the nursing home yesterday, arrived at 1:40 for my 2:00 start as I set up I talked to the 10 folks who were already in the dining room waiting for me. By the time I was ready there were about 30 people in the room some sitting on chairs, some in wheel chairs and one was wheeled in a recliner with a pillow under her head. I usually start with a couple of quick tunes in order to get everyone’s attention and to attract anyone who is not sure if the should spend a few minutes listening. Almost everyone was singing to Amazing Grace, Let Me Call You Sweetheart, and You Are My Sunshine. The highlight of the hour was Irene who got up and two stepped to five foot two eyes of blue and Jambalaya. She also had a request “play Goodnight Irene because my name is Irene” now you would think I would know that one but its one song I’ve not committed to memory and I promised that I would know it when I come back next month. I’ve played a lot of different venues but I think that the thing about nursing homes is that you have the feeling that your life has made a difference in someone else’s life.
Webber Roundbody cutaway
Taylor Big Baby
Taylor T5

[[email protected]
Old 07-25-2006, 06:40 PM

Default Some days you're the windshield...

...some days you're the bug.

My second experience didn't go quite as well.
It was over 90 degrees and really muggy, and I didn't notice anything close to air conditioning in the dining area. I tried to talk a little about the weather with the few residents that were in there early, but they remained silent.
My wife couldn't join me this time, so I didn't have someone to get the applause going.
A few clapped, but it seemed like when they noticed nobody else was, they gave up. Many were watching, and I noticed some of the friendly faces from last time, but mostly the looks seemed to say I was intruding. (my paranoia was taking over, then I got more nervous.)
I didn't get a chance to learn some of the old songs, so I was leaning over to look at the words I had laying on a shelf by the window. This made me even more uncomfortable, and by now, the sweat was dripping off my forehead as if I was 747 pilot trying to bring down a plane with no landing gear.
Then they wheeled in this guy at a table right in front of me. He just stared intently at me with a stern look, no change of expression whatsoever.
(Maybe I borrowed money from him at one time, and forgot to pay him back.)
The question started echoing in my head: "What the hell are you doing here?"
When the meals started coming, I wiped the sweat off of my guitar and packed up as quick as I could.
The women working there seemed appreciative, and thanked me for coming, but when I got out to the parking lot, I was feeling like the place had sucked all the life out of me.
Maybe I went back too soon, but I began to question if I should keep going at all. By morning, I felt better about it, and told myself I was in new territory and this was going to happen.
I know that next time, I'll have the songs committed to memory, and that always gives me more confidence when singing. Maybe bringing a small fan wouldn't hurt either. (Perhaps more cowbell.)
Old 07-25-2006, 08:06 PM

Sounds like just the ticket to help thicken your skin!!

Don't give up after one bum event. I'd try a few different places. The energy in these places ebbs and flows with the residents and the staff. The same place in 1 month may offer a very different experience, and the place just down the road may be great right now!!
Old 07-25-2006, 08:59 PM

Tom brings a small fan!

http://www.youtube.com/ayavner

2006 Martin OMC Aura (Laurelin)
1998 Martin HD-28 (Telperion)
Epiphone WildKat w p90s and Bigsby!
1997 Rickenbacker 360/12V64

Dearly Departed:
1981 Yamaha FG 335
Alvarez AJ60SC12
Regal RD35 Roundneck dobro
Old 07-25-2006, 09:07 PM

Tell me again why we get up and play in front of people? Oh yeah because when it good it's very very good. The first time I played at a nursing home I brought words to songs but no chords because I had been playing the songs for so long. Well the big band era uses some wierd stuff (D to Ab7?) and I spent the better part of a few songs searching for the right chords. I've found that it's always nice to be able to look down at the music stand and catch up if you need to.

Like they say "experience is the toughest teacher". When I start something new I always figure on 6 times before I know what I'm doing and the first few times give the best stories-looks like you've got 2 stories under your belt.

If you are looking for other nursing homes in the area try this link http://www.medicare.gov/NHCompare/In...chCriteria.asp

I don't want this to be taken the wrong way but to most of the residents your next time there will be the first time they remember you so you get a clean slate whenever you play.

Keep at it, 4 more times and you'll be a pro
Webber Roundbody cutaway
Taylor Big Baby
Taylor T5

[[email protected]
Old 07-25-2006, 10:24 PM

John99, first I have to say you have the best sense of humor! You had me laughing reading your posts. Hang in there & I bet the next time will be just as great as the first. One of my major goals is to volunteer at a nursing home, but I only have six songs under my belt~ I just started taking lessons in Feb. so it will be a while before I have enough to do a gig. I'm so glad you posted this thread~ I can learn from your experience. What I would focus on is that I bet even on your 2nd performance where you didn't get as much feedback that you really touched at least one person, and probably a lot more. Your music made a difference to someone, I am sure.

AER Compact 60
Shure Beta58A
Old 07-25-2006, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John99
...some days you're the bug.

My second experience didn't go quite as well.

I didn't get a chance to learn some of the old songs, so I was leaning over to look at the words I had laying on a shelf by the window. This made me even more uncomfortable, and by now, the sweat was dripping off my forehead as if I was 747 pilot trying to bring down a plane with no landing gear.
For what it's worth, I've had this experience. The cure is PRACTICE. If you don't invest enough time practicing your material, you get yourself into those predicaments. A fellow player I know insists on practicing each of his songs at least 25 times before performing them "live."

An ounce of prevention (practice) is worth a pound of cure (enjoyable, fulfilling performance). Keep at it, John - it's worth every moment.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:44 PM

Default Thanks folks!

I appreciate the encouragement, advice and jokes. (Loved the small fan!)
I'm going to give it another week before I jump back in, and in the meantime, work on the old songs. (Some of them do have hard chords...who woulda thunk it?) maybe even play a few at the sandwich place.
Take care, and keep strummin'!
Old 08-16-2006, 11:08 AM

Well... I went ahead and booked a slot at the Scandinavian Living Center in West Newton, MA on August 29th. My Nana lived there (she died at a ripe old 102). At times my visits there were depressing - due to the mood of the residents. I really felt sorry for them. Since then, the place has had a facelift and appears to be more cheerful.

Wish me luck!
Old 08-16-2006, 05:12 PM

Good Luck! I have to get back and do it again myself. I've found every reason in the book to procrastinate. The woman in charge of the volunteer program called and left a message, "Uh, are you still coming here? I was just wondering how it's going?"
I left her a message and said I was in the process of learning some songs they might recognize more than my usual stuff. I get so lazy sometimes when I get home from work, but I WILL give it a few more trys this week.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell