The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-22-2020, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

I say yes, but it can be replicated.

The 'Martin sound' is basically a sound that they created, so they get to be identified with it. Someone else could copy a Martin build and probably achieve similar tone if they paid enough attention to the detail.

Martin still gets to be identified with the tonal signature because they invented it, though.
| 1968 Martin D-28 | 1949 Gibson J-45 | 1955 Gibson LG-2 | Santa Cruz 000 Cocobolo / Italian Spruce | Martin D-18 1939 Authentic Aged | Martin Gruhn Guitars Custom D-21 Adi/Madi | Gibson J-45 | Fender American Elite Telecaster | Fender American Standard Stratocaster | Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson Les Paul Studio | PRS Custom 24 10-Top | Gibson Les Paul 1960 Reissue (R0) |
Old 09-22-2020, 03:07 PM

It doesn't matter what I think. But there are builders all over the US that are trying to sell you on the fact that they sound like a Martin of various time frames and go into great depths to copy and improve on Martin specs. So ya, I guess.
Old 09-22-2020, 03:13 PM

My girlfriend who doesn't know much about guitar said Martin guitar sounds sorrow (probably because of heavy bass) and Taylor sounds lovely and clear (due to sparkling in the mid range and treble sides) when I played some fingerstyle for her.

So I think in general Martin guitars sound dark and pretty musical for sad songs and Taylor guitar sound bright and it's good if you play something romantic. Most folks here prefer Martin (I think) but people that I know in real life loves Taylor more. So I believe there is a Martin sound. Like it or not depends on each person. I personally think they sound good but not for my playing style. it doesn't sound good fingerpicking on a bassy and woody sound dreadnought to me. A friend of mine who play with a pick on his Martin and it sounds great and loud with good projection. I tried it on my Taylor and it's also loud but the sound wouldn't be that great, it's not as mellow as the Martin (with a pick)

Last edited by Rinaz; 09-22-2020 at 03:21 PM.
Old 09-22-2020, 03:20 PM

Of course there is.....
1968 Ovation 1111-4 RIP 1968-2021
Old 09-22-2020, 03:20 PM

The idea of "The Martin Sound came from back when it was Martin and Gibson.
There is definitely a difference in the signature sound of these two guitar builders.

To me, Martin is more open and rings with huge sustain and has a very deep bottom end.
Gibson is less resonant and has less sustain. It is more balanced with less overtones.

They each have their place and following.

Newer offerings by both makers now sound more like each other.
I would guess that they do this to win over new followers.
Old 09-22-2020, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

I think so. There's definitely a current that runs through all the Martin standard series and above dreadnoughts that I pick up and play. Just like I think the same thing about Eastmans of which I've played around 10 models and there's just something similar that runs through those as well.
Old 09-22-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
And if so, then how can that be?
It is a wood box.
With very few parts.
Most of them don't even move.
Almost every living or non-living thing can be copied or cloned.
And yet...
It is a wood box.

This is not a bashing brand thread at all.
I love Martins and am researching my first.
Seriously? A guitar is just "a wood box"? And most of the parts "don't even move"? The tops and backs of my guitars definitely move. The bridges move. I'm sure that even the necks move a little. And the movements of each are influenced by the design, including the shape, bracing, wood thickness, etc. Yes, there is a Martin sound, and a Gibson sound, Taylor sound, and on and on. It's not necessarily produced by all examples. My daughter's Martin x series guitar doesn't have that sound. But my 00-18 does, even if it lacks the bass of a D18. Can it be replicated by others? Sure. Among less expensive guitars some Blueridge models come close. But most of those who successfully replicate the Martin sound charge more than you would pay for a non-vintage Martin.
Old 09-22-2020, 05:16 PM

Sound? More like mojo.

I tested a 000-18 last Friday and couldn't get it out of my head, so I bought it yesterday.

Yeah, there is a Martin sound and when I listen to some songs now, I can hear it.
Old 09-22-2020, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caperrob View Post
Sound? More like mojo.

I tested a 000-18 last Friday and couldn't get it out of my head, so I bought it yesterday.

Yeah, there is a Martin sound and when I listen to some songs now, I can hear it.
Nice!
Old 09-22-2020, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
And if so, then how can that be?
It is a wood box.
With very few parts.
Most of them don't even move.
Almost every living or non-living thing can be copied or cloned.
And yet...
It is a wood box.

This is not a bashing brand thread at all.
I love Martins and am researching my first.
If you Google “What is the proper response to the Zen Koan ‘What is the sound of one hand clapping,” you will get:
According to Yoel Hoffman in “The Sound of One Hand: 281 Koans with Answers,” the acceptable answer is for the student to face the master, “take the correct posture, and silently extend one hand forward.” This response incorporates much of what Zen study tries to teach us about the preferred way to be in the world—
This is Zen Buddhism’s way of saying: Dude, play a bunch. Find your own view on this.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

I have two Gibsons and a Taylor and the Taylor isn't even close to sounding like a Gibson. Which is great. What is the point of having different guitars if they would all sound the same?

My next guitar is going to be a Martin OM. So I can have a Martin sound.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:18 PM

Yes definitely. I like what Norman Blake mentioned at a workshop when asked a similar query. He said some guitars may sound better than a Martin, but nothing sounds like a Martin. That is pretty well the way I feel about it.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:24 PM

I hear it in even the least expensive Martins. Reminds me of the organic sound of a Harley Davidson.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:29 PM
Charter Member

It's weird isn't it?

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 09-23-2020, 01:53 AM

Yes,definitely.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion