The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-22-2020, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco gringo View Post
They won't. If they confirmed the address, it is probably legit. Doesn't mean someone besides the account owner isn't using it, or that the account owner isn't trying to pull something. They aren't involved in buying and selling like ebay or Reverb. You can't buy goods on Paypal's website. They are a platform for money changing hands. They handle a financial transaction and they get a fee. They handled a transaction and they got a fee. There was a cost to them to do it.

I heard they now charge a fee for Friends and Family. If I was them, I would've have done it all along. They are still handling a transaction. They have a cost associated with it. Also, it helps cut down on people paying for goods with Friends and Family when it isn't Friends and Family. I used to be ok with that, but then I decided it was dishonest and quit doing it. There is no free lunch.

In a lot of instances, there may be better ways to handle the financials of a transaction then PayPal.
Obviously they need to get their money for a normal transaction, but I do think keeping the fee for a refunded payment is wrong. As a merchant, it's already cost me hundreds of dollars just this year.

On an "I just don't like it" return for an expensive guitar, how to handle that couple hundred dollars of fees can lead to some awfully awkward conversations! The big chains can absorb that kind of stuff, but us little guys just can't.
Old 09-22-2020, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS View Post

On an "I just don't like it" return for an expensive guitar, how to handle that couple hundred dollars of fees can lead to some awfully awkward conversations! The big chains can absorb that kind of stuff, but us little guys just can't.
I can see where that would leave a hickey. It may be the kind of thing that needs to be discussed on the front end. If the buyer used Visa, MC, Amex, Discover, etc., would the fee be refunded? If so, that might be a better way to go than PayPal.

PayPal isn't the best way to handle some transactions, in my opinion. If you are using PayPal and paying with a credit card, I really don't see the point in using them. They are an unusual outfit. They aren't a credit card like Amex, and they aren't in the business of hosting the selling of goods like ebay or Reverb.

Last edited by loco gringo; 09-22-2020 at 05:06 PM.
Old 09-24-2020, 05:51 AM

Just to wrap up this post about how everything played out with PayPal. I'm still a bit confused

I did not ship the instrument AND refunded the "full" amount to the buyer.
As far as I can tell the buyer received two amounts...
1. The full amount less seller fee AND
2. The amount equal to the the fee in a PayPal Cash Plus bucket

This makes me believe the buyer is whole and I did not pay a fee.

Does that sound right to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS View Post
Obviously they need to get their money for a normal transaction, but I do think keeping the fee for a refunded payment is wrong. As a merchant, it's already cost me hundreds of dollars just this year.

Old 09-25-2020, 03:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer tunes View Post
Just to wrap up this post about how everything played out with PayPal. I'm still a bit confused

I did not ship the instrument AND refunded the "full" amount to the buyer.
As far as I can tell the buyer received two amounts...
1. The full amount less seller fee AND
2. The amount equal to the the fee in a PayPal Cash Plus bucket

This makes me believe the buyer is whole and I did not pay a fee.

Does that sound right to you?
The buyer is always made whole.

You, however, may still be assessed the seller fee. Have you checked your balances?
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=572579
Old 09-25-2020, 06:42 AM

As of today I can't see that I was dinged for the fee. Do you know where that would be visible? The full refund was issued by me Tuesday am.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkrell View Post
The buyer is always made whole.

You, however, may still be assessed the seller fee. Have you checked your balances?
Old 09-26-2020, 12:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer tunes View Post
As of today I can't see that I was dinged for the fee. Do you know where that would be visible? The full refund was issued by me Tuesday am.

Thanks
PayPal would either show a negative balance (or a fee deduction from any positive balance you maintain), or they would go to a secondary source linked to your PayPal account (such as a bank account or credit card) and grab it there.

If all is untouched, maybe they considered this a no-fault transaction & chose not to ding you. Or, they haven't fully processed the return yet and accessed a charge.

You can actually call them & get a response as to what has taken place.
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=572579
Old 09-26-2020, 06:22 AM

Thanks for the detail! As of now nothing is showing in either PP or my linked account indicating I was dinged with the fee. Before I issued the refund I had a couple of days of back and forth with PP support via messaging and communicated how any seller fee should not apply to me on the simple basis of the buyer had one address linked to his PP profile, a PO Box, and both UPS and FedEx will not deliver to PO Box. End of story.

I hope this matter is done. So, back to square one. Maybe this was a sign that someone didn't want me to sell the Collings....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkrell View Post
PayPal would either show a negative balance (or a fee deduction from any positive balance you maintain), or they would go to a secondary source linked to your PayPal account (such as a bank account or credit card) and grab it there.

If all is untouched, maybe they considered this a no-fault transaction & chose not to ding you. Or, they haven't fully processed the return yet and accessed a charge.

You can actually call them & get a response as to what has taken place.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion