The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-18-2020, 06:48 PM
Charter Member

Scott, it was a blonde joke. I should have typed slower.
Old 09-19-2020, 01:17 PM

The website isn't playing well with my tablet or iPhone - just endless scrolling of pick pics.

I'd be interested if these came in 1.5 mm or thicker in a basic teardrop and rounded triangle. My favorite pick for the past year is the PEEK Gravity Gold. They cost $20 - $25 depending on thickness.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:11 AM

I purchased a Blonde 1.25 pick which I received about 4 days ago. (Scott even looked up past purchases to be sure that I wanted that thickness because I had ordered thicker picks in the past.)

I always liked my CL picks. I have a flame and a blue. While at home, I gravitate towards them for my mandolin, OM flat tops, and a 12-string. To my head, they weren't as forceful as a Blue Chip, but they had a warmer tone both strumming and flat picking.

In my opinion, the Blonde has a very different feel and sound. It seems to be a great middle ground between the warmer feel of other CL picks and the precise and articulate qualities I attribute to BlueChips.

Even as thin as it is, it has a crisp, clear, and definitive sound to it. I tend to grab thicker picks when I play the mandolin, but this works quite well on the mando as well.

10/10 I would buy again. The fact that Scott includes a new suit (with a second pair of trousers) makes it quite the deal If anyone would want to set up a travelling pick show (I think I saw that a while back on a different forum) where a handful of different picks are mailed to those interested who then mail them to the next 'in line', I'll add one of the blonde picks. (Maybe I'm just an optimist who doesn't think a member here would take off with 'the gangs' picks.)

Great stuff Scott. I hope you're able to not melt with the heat.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

I don't own a CL (or any other premium) pick, so I'd definitely be interested in getting on a roadshow list, if that happens again.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:51 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
I don't own a CL (or any other premium) pick, so I'd definitely be interested in getting on a roadshow list, if that happens again.
Vida, I believe you have a home in Central America, don't you? I don't want to mention the country, unless you want to. Anyway, I'm very curious to someday see the breeding grounds where the Hawsbill Sea Turtles come in to lay their eggs. Have you done that? Just an amazing animal.

be well,
scott
Old 10-16-2020, 01:38 PM

Will soon be joining the club, just placed my first CLP order, and went with a 1.15 blonde. I have a John Pearse Fast Turtle Medium, which is currently my go-to pick (casein) so I look forward to trying out a new material with the blonde!
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 10-16-2020, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

I got my CLP 1.5mm Blond about a week ago and it's now my favorite pick. Very slick on the strings and I think it's a richer tone than I get from Vespel.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 10-16-2020, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

Can I ask, how do the blond compare to his black series, in terms of tone? I have (and like) BC, and the notion of a slightly brighter version (blonde, mentioned here) is intriguing. I’m curious how the black sounds as well, and also if anyone can comment on pick noise of blonde (and black) vs (the very quiet) BC, that’s much appreciated too.
Old 10-16-2020, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
Can I ask, how do the blond compare to his black series, in terms of tone? I have (and like) BC, and the notion of a slightly brighter version (blonde, mentioned here) is intriguing. I’m curious how the black sounds as well, and also if anyone can comment on pick noise of blonde (and black) vs (the very quiet) BC, that’s much appreciated too.
Black is a darker sound. It also has no flex to the material, like casein. Brown and blonde have some flex to the material and are brighter sounding.

On pick noise, I can't help you. I never notice that on any type of pick.
Old 10-17-2020, 09:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Vida, I believe you have a home in Central America, don't you? I don't want to mention the country, unless you want to. Anyway, I'm very curious to someday see the breeding grounds where the Hawsbill Sea Turtles come in to lay their eggs. Have you done that? Just an amazing animal.

be well,
scott
I do (two homes, actually), and the location is next to my post count, so it's no secret. Our area is host to the Olive Ridley sea turtles, which I believe lay eggs around this time (and the eggs hatch in the spring). We haven't done a local turtle tour (at night), but search "arribada ostional" to see the turtle masses coming ashore to our south.
Old 10-17-2020, 10:13 PM

Before I purchase, I have to ask how they are as far as grip goes. I’ve really changed up my bluegrass rhythm to more of a Tyminski/Audie Blaylock style of faster strumming on all 6 strings and I’m finding that my BC is the only one I can maintain a good steady grip on. My primetones and Wegen are slippery and move around a lot. I want to try the blonde but don’t want to buy it and it be another slippery pick.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 10-23-2020, 12:09 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
I do (two homes, actually), and the location is next to my post count, so it's no secret. Our area is host to the Olive Ridley sea turtles, which I believe lay eggs around this time (and the eggs hatch in the spring). We haven't done a local turtle tour (at night), but search "arribada ostional" to see the turtle masses coming ashore to our south.
PV, I believe Costa Rico has the largest preserve and stretch of beach for the breeding of the Hawksbill Sea Turtle, but I could be wrong.

Hope to get down there and visit you one of these days.

sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion