The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-23-2016, 10:26 AM

Default Emerald x10 - anyone know the story of this model?

I'm strongly considering an Emerald x7 build - have a Rainsong P12 that I like a lot except for the N2 neck thickness. Read on AGF that Emeralds have thinner necks (closer to the older Rainsong neck). However, I'd love something just a shade larger than the x7's 13 3/8" lower bout...but not as large as the x20 (15 1/4"). It looks like there used to be an x10 model (with a normal soundhole, not offset) that might have lived in the 14" lower bout zone, but it appears to have been discontinued.

Anyone know the story behind the x10? Any known plans to re-introduce it? Thanks for any x10 lore that anyone can share...
Old 10-23-2016, 10:57 AM

The folks at Emerald Guitar are very accommodating,
even though it's not advertised, they still may be able to make you an X10, or even a customized X10.

http://emeraldguitars.com/?s=X10&v=7516fd43adaa

Last edited by 121; 10-23-2016 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Cedar View Post
I'm strongly considering an Emerald x7 build - have a Rainsong P12 that I like a lot except for the N2 neck thickness. Read on AGF that Emeralds have thinner necks (closer to the older Rainsong neck). However, I'd love something just a shade larger than the x7's 13 3/8" lower bout...but not as large as the x20 (15 1/4"). It looks like there used to be an x10 model (with a normal soundhole, not offset) that might have lived in the 14" lower bout zone, but it appears to have been discontinued.

Anyone know the story behind the x10? Any known plans to re-introduce it? Thanks for any x10 lore that anyone can share...
Sean from Emerald chimes in quite a bit here, so you might get a response directly from him.

I have a Rainsong with an NS and actually like the neck. I find it quite different than other necks but oddly and ergonomically comfortable. I certainly understand why some may not be able to get along with it. It seems to me that most new Rainsongs that come up in classifieds are being sold for this reason.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:49 AM

Default Fb

Message them on FB, Sean responds pretty quick
Old 10-23-2016, 12:46 PM
Guest 928

I came to my RS Parlor from numerous Emerald guitars. At first I hated the neck, but over time I have come to Steevibe's observation that the RS neck is oddly and ergonomically comfortable.

That said, I like Emerald necks; they are thin, fast, and enable high fret reach.

The X10 is a perfect size for me and I have had two custom orders--one with the center sound hole and one with the offset. The offset sound hole is marvelous for the player, but my suspicion is that a center hole might be better for the audience (this is an unproven suspicion on my part since I did not have the two guitars at the same time).

In any event, as already noted, an email to Emerald will let you know oi the 10is an option. Good luck with your search.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:29 PM

Thank you for the quick and helpful responses - I will reach out directly to Emerald and see if the X10 is a realistic option to hit the sweet spot.

Much appreciated!
Old 10-24-2016, 09:07 PM

Default Emerald x10 - anyone know the story of this model?

There was a thread earlier this year that the X10 was in redevelopment, and a nylon string X10 had been completed. I too am interested in how the new X10 might compare to the X7, but I haven't seen any updates recently.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:29 AM

Maybe a surprise X10 annoucement is planned when redevelopment is finalized??
Old 10-26-2016, 07:40 AM

Hi folks,

We have dealt with a number of queries regarding the X10 over the past day or two. While it isn't part of the current standard range and the reintroduction is quite some time away yet, we are always willing to accommodate our customers as best we can. So anyone interested in a custom X10 can contact us directly on [email protected]

Kind Regards,

Sean
Old 08-05-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Guitars View Post
Hi folks,

We have dealt with a number of queries regarding the X10 over the past day or two. While it isn't part of the current standard range and the reintroduction is quite some time away yet, we are always willing to accommodate our customers as best we can. So anyone interested in a custom X10 can contact us directly on [email protected]

Kind Regards,

Sean
This is good to know. I think the ideal Emerald for me, size wise, may well be the X10. I'd prefer something larger than X7 and smaller than X20 - like OM/OOO-size? It sounds like an order for an X10 can be accommodated?
Old 08-06-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Cedar View Post

As I'd read many times on this forum, the X20 sort of defies it's measurements when it comes to holding it. Unless you're looking to save a few inches here and there for travel, it's amazingly comfortable.

Taylor NS34c
Tayor 616 (2016)
Emerald Custom X20 Artisan

Some past guitars:
1968 Martin D35-S
Martin 00-28VS
Rainsong Dread
Old 08-06-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusknives View Post
As I'd read many times on this forum, the X20 sort of defies it's measurements when it comes to holding it. Unless you're looking to save a few inches here and there for travel, it's amazingly comfortable.
Jim... the X20 is nice indeed, but when I was playing it, it did feel larger, to me, than I would prefer to have. Thus, my interest in the X10.

X7 is nice, as well, but again, I think the X10 is likely the medium ("Goldilocks") size that I'm looking for. I find an OM-sized acoustic guitar to be the size I enjoy playing the most, even though I'm a bit over 6' tall with proportionate length arms.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:20 PM
Guest 928

I had an X20-OSN and while it was remarkably comfortable, it was a bit large for me and I went for an X10-OSN. The 10 is a very nice size size--not too big, not too small.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I had an X20-OSN and while it was remarkably comfortable, it was a bit large for me and I went for an X10-OSN. The 10 is a very nice size size--not too big, not too small.
That sounds like just my cup o' tea, Evan. These days I'm really enjoying the medium size (OOO/OM) guitars, so the X10 may be just the Emerald for me.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:36 AM

I too am interested in the X10 because it's size comes between the X7 and X20.
Back in Feb. 2017 I asked Emerald Guitar what the specs were on the X10..

Scale length - 25.5”

Nut width - 1 3/4”

Bridge Spacing - 2 1/4”

Overall length - 39”
Max body width - 14 1/2”
Max body depth - 4”
Max body length - 17 1/2”
Weight - 3.5lbs
Frets - 20 medium stainless steel frets

Specs from the Emerald Guitar web site in addition to the X10 specs I received through email from Emerald Guitar, here is a spec comparison
between the X7, X10 and X20.

2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars

Last edited by 121; 08-11-2017 at 11:13 AM. Reason: added X7 X10 X20 comparison

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber