The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-15-2016, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

Default Emerald X20 or Rainsong Smokey or......?

I used to own a Rainsong WS Concert and I am still kicking myself why I sold it. I am in the market for a full size CF guitar now but my local dealer has stopped carrying Rainsong .

I have been quite intrigued with the Emerald X20 Opus or the Rainsong Smokey mainly because of their price points within my budget (about USD1,500) and the tone from these from what i heard from videos on the internet seem to be quite stellar. So now is time to do a bit more research and your kind feedback is very much appreciated.

If I go with the Emerald X20 then obviously will buy direct from Alistair, if Rainsong is the one, I will need Ted from LA Guitar's help with this as no local dealers here carrying any CF guitars other than the Journey which I already have.

Any of you who have direct experience with these as to how they sound or compare, that would be much appreciated. I am happy with other suggestions. I also do like the whole package of the Kevin Michael Sable but at that price tag, I would need some serious convincing going.

Last edited by pandaroo; 09-15-2016 at 08:42 PM.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:52 PM
Charter Member

I can't tell you how they compare since I have not played a X20, so I may not be telling you anything you don't already know. I recently ordered a H-WS1000N2 with a 12 fret neck, basically it's a Smokey with a gloss finish. I've owned a Shorty in the past. The H-WS sounds like you would expect a Rainsong to sound, clear and full. It sounded better than I actually thought it would. The 12 fret neck makes it very easy to play and adds some warmth to the tone, the neck is one of my favorites. I like it a lot. but i still have that little voice in my head that wonders how it compares to a X20. I think I need a travel guitar and may order an X7.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

I've owned an X 20 and a rainsong shorty. Both are good, but different. Pros for the Rainsong Shorty: light, short scale, clear. Pros for the X 20: richer sound (in my opinion), full scale (which I prefer) and just felt better in my hands. You won't go wrong with either. If I were buying a strictly travel I would go with the Rainsong. If I were adding a guitar to play with all the advantages of CF, I would buy the Emerald.
Emerald X-20 Custom SS

Life's been good to me so far....
Old 09-16-2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transylvania View Post
I've owned an X 20 and a rainsong shorty. Both are good, but different. Pros for the Rainsong Shorty: light, short scale, clear. Pros for the X 20: richer sound (in my opinion), full scale (which I prefer) and just felt better in my hands. You won't go wrong with either. If I were buying a strictly travel I would go with the Rainsong. If I were adding a guitar to play with all the advantages of CF, I would buy the Emerald.
Any comment on why you went CF free?
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 09-16-2016, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Any comment on why you went CF free?
look at the wood guitars he owns!!!
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 09-17-2016, 11:03 AM

I played a Smokey earlier this year when I visited Ted.

Didn't like it compared to the other Rainsongs, but I attribute that to the stock black coated strings not the guitar itself.

I've played by brother in laws X-20 which I liked, but it was quieter than I expected.

Picking between the two, I'd probably pick the Smokey and change the strings out to EXP-16's.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 09-19-2016, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
've played by brother in laws X-20 which I liked, but it was quieter than I expected.
I tend to think that the strings on his X20 might have had something to do with that, too.

I have Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze mediums on my X20, and I literally have to tilt the sound port away from me when I'm doing sound checks so that I can hear enough of the PA to dial in my sound!

Old 09-20-2016, 12:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Pauhana View Post
I tend to think that the strings on his X20 might have had something to do with that, too.

I have Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze mediums on my X20, and I literally have to tilt the sound port away from me when I'm doing sound checks so that I can hear enough of the PA to dial in my sound!

Old 09-20-2016, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaroo View Post
Are you saying your X20 is loud?
Yes, I am. It's loud. Especially to the player, because of the soundhole construction and orientation.

———
Old 09-20-2016, 12:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Pauhana View Post
Yes, I am. It's loud. Especially to the player, because of the soundhole construction and orientation.

———
That's awesome! May I ask if your X20 has good bass?
Old 09-20-2016, 05:03 AM
Charter Member

I'll chime in here with my thoughts. Although I have never owned or played a Smokey I have owned a good many Rainsongs a WS1000 and a Bluegrass model I still own.

I also own an Emerald X20 and for me the Emerald is a nicer sounding guitar overall. Is it louder? maybe but I will say the Bass is clearer and more Piano like. They're offset sound hole is unique as it not only allows the player more actual volume from the guitar but also rolls over on to the top and projects nicely to the listener as well.

In short I've owned a bunch of carbon guitars from CA's to Rainsongs and a Blackbird thrown in there as well.

For me personally I feel the Emeralds are really something special and they are the ones that will stay in my collection.
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 09-20-2016, 07:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benderman57 View Post
I'll chime in here with my thoughts. Although I have never owned or played a Smokey I have owned a good many Rainsongs a WS1000 and a Bluegrass model I still own.

I also own an Emerald X20 and for me the Emerald is a nicer sounding guitar overall. Is it louder? maybe but I will say the Bass is clearer and more Piano like. They're offset sound hole is unique as it not only allows the player more actual volume from the guitar but also rolls over on to the top and projects nicely to the listener as well.

In short I've owned a bunch of carbon guitars from CA's to Rainsongs and a Blackbird thrown in there as well.

For me personally I feel the Emeralds are really something special and they are the ones that will stay in my collection.

Thank you so much for your input, i am sold and will order the X20
Old 09-20-2016, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaroo View Post
Thank you so much for your input, i am sold and will order the X20
I think you will love it.

I have a Baritone on the way from them right now and should have it later this week.

Now I'll own the triple threat with a X20 6 string , X20 12 String and a X20 Baritone.

Very excited about this as they play live very well and record really great too!
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 09-20-2016, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benderman57 View Post
I think you will love it.

I have a Baritone on the way from them right now and should have it later this week.

Now I'll own the triple threat with a X20 6 string , X20 12 String and a X20 Baritone.

Very excited about this as they play live very well and record really great too!
Congrats on your upcoming baritone
Old 09-20-2016, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transylvania View Post
Plus 1 here. I also owned both an Emerald X20 and a Rainsong Shorty. Both were incredible guitars. I preferred the Shorty mostly for the ergonomics of the shorter scale and lighter body. Sound on both was extremely good with the Emerald getting a slight edge.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber