The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-11-2016, 03:11 PM

Talking cordoba solesta? opinions

i have my eye on this used cordoba solesta, if i can negotiate a good price, i might walk away with it. as i think it was made in spain.
when i was doing some web research, it vectored me to some rather negative reviews, mainly regarding cordoba QC
ie, the bridge fell off in one, and the cordoba workmanship was no longer what it use to be, guitars sounded like nothing special
to me the guitar looks good, but doesnt sound all that great, could be the strings, i will have to change them before i decide.
my teacher likes a local luthier, Kenny Hill

my current classical is a 1963 Goya G-10, sounds good, made in sweden, my first guitar, but i think perhaps its time to consider an upgrade.

but any insight or opinions?
z
2012 Taylor 814CE TB
2010 Martin D-18GE sunburst
2004 Martin 000-28EC
2005 Fender Telecaster Am Std
1963 Goya G-10
Old 02-11-2016, 04:29 PM

Did you mean Cordoba Solista?

The new one has a truss rod, the older does not. I had a chance to play with the older one. I was impressed with its sound and play-ability.
Old 02-12-2016, 01:07 AM

My first classical was a Goya, the only "upgrade" I know is a Ramirez. It was the same then and the same now.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaskar1 View Post
i have my eye on this used cordoba solesta, if i can negotiate a good price, i might walk away with it. as i think it was made in spain.
when i was doing some web research, it vectored me to some rather negative reviews, mainly regarding cordoba QC
ie, the bridge fell off in one, and the cordoba workmanship was no longer what it use to be, guitars sounded like nothing special
to me the guitar looks good, but doesnt sound all that great, could be the strings, i will have to change them before i decide.
my teacher likes a local luthier, Kenny Hill

my current classical is a 1963 Goya G-10, sounds good, made in sweden, my first guitar, but i think perhaps its time to consider an upgrade.

but any insight or opinions?
z
Hi, Now that you mention Kenny Hill guitars. He introduced not too long ago
a line of Classical Guitars which are built by his shop in China called New
World Guitars. They have the Signature, Players and Estudio series. Do a search on New Worlds Guitars and take a look at them. I just purchased a
Estudio E640C and can't be happier with the build quality, and sound. They
are marvelous instruments and way superior to Cordoba. Regards
Norman2
Old 02-12-2016, 02:43 PM

Talking cordoba solista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman2 View Post
World Guitars. They have the Signature, Players and Estudio series. Do a search on New Worlds Guitars and take a look at them. I just purchased a
Norman2
hi all
thanks for the comments
will check out the kenny hill guitars, as he is local
z
2012 Taylor 814CE TB
2010 Martin D-18GE sunburst
2004 Martin 000-28EC
2005 Fender Telecaster Am Std
1963 Goya G-10
Old 02-16-2016, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

I've had seven Cordobas. Love em! I've been on the brink of picking up a Solista flamenca or an F10 for a while now. Every mass-producer can churn out a lemon now and then, but all of my experiences with Cordoba have been great. As far as Chinese versus Spanish makes go... my C12 SP and GK Pro blanca EASILY stand up to my Spanish-made FCWE, 55FCE blanca, and 55FCE Limited Ziricote.
Old 02-16-2016, 03:27 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

Quote:
Norman2
Correct me if I'm wrong here, Norman2, but I seem to recall you were a very strong Cordoba backer when you first arrived here on the forum - have you experienced such a dramatic conversion so soon? If so, high praise indeed for the Kenny Hill line!
Old 02-16-2016, 04:14 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosland View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong here, Norman2, but I seem to recall you were a very strong Cordoba backer when you first arrived here on the forum - have you experienced such a dramatic conversion so soon? If so, high praise indeed for the Kenny Hill line!
Hi Dosland. Yes i have been quite a fan of Cordoba having owned a C5, C7, C9, and C10,
Don't get me wrong they were all excellent guitars but I could not get my left
hand comfortable with the shape of their neck and started having horrible wrist
aches. My teacher pointed out that I should consider guitars with a different neck shape. I tried an Alhambra and same thing. I tried an Alvarez and still the
same problem. I was able to try the Kenny Hill Estudio in 640mm scale and that
was it. No more pain. Quality is the same than that on the Cordobas considering
that Kenny Hill designed them. maybe I should have tried to get a 640mm scale but I do not think Cordoba has them available. Just needed comfort
and I found it. Cordoba recommended a crossover but I do not like the 48mm
radiused neck. The Estudio E640C fits me like a glove. Regards I needed more of a C Shape than a D shape
Norman
PS: I first considered the C9, and C10 in parlor size but although they have a 630mm scale their bodies are smaller and I did not want that. The estudio at 640mm scale
has the same standard body as the traditional 650mm guitar. I needed more of a C shape than a D shape on the neck shape. That was the only reason
I changed.

Last edited by Norman2; 02-16-2016 at 04:29 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Norman2
I second the recommendation of Kenny Hill's New World guitars. They are excellent. One correction, though: Only the Player and Estudio guitars are in the New Word line, built in China. The Hill Signature and Performance series are produced by Kenny's small shop in California and typically list from about $5,000 to $7,500.

Also, I personally wouldn't characterize the New World guitars as "way better" than Cordobas, because the Cordobas I've played have all been quite good. The New World are definitely better, but there isn't a world of difference (so to speak), in my opinion.
-Bob
Old 02-16-2016, 09:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesson11 View Post
I second the recommendation of Kenny Hill's New World guitars. They are excellent. One correction, though: Only the Player and Estudio guitars are in the New Word line, built in China. The Hill Signature and Performance series are produced by Kenny's small shop in California and typically list from about $5,000 to $7,500.

Also, I personally wouldn't characterize the New World guitars as "way better" than Cordobas, because the Cordobas I've played have all been quite good. The New World are definitely better, but there isn't a world of difference (so to speak), in my opinion.
-Bob
My exact thought as well when I read his post. I immediately dumped my flawless Breedlove Masterclass Bossa Nova after I bought my first "bottom of the barrel" Cordoba GK Studio. I was enamored enough with the brand just from having bought that $600 low-end model, to sell my $4K Breedlove to get more/better Cordobas (all mail-order without having played any of them). Without going to very expensive single luthier hand-crafted concert instruments that rum from $8k-30K... I don't see how it would be possible for an instrument to be "WAY" better than the $1,000-$2,000 Cordobas that I've owned.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post
My exact thought as well when I read his post. I immediately dumped my flawless Breedlove Masterclass Bossa Nova after I bought my first "bottom of the barrel" Cordoba GK Studio. I was enamored enough with the brand just from having bought that $600 low-end model, to sell my $4K Breedlove to get more/better Cordobas (all mail-order without having played any of them). Without going to very expensive single luthier hand-crafted concert instruments that rum from $8k-30K... I don't see how it would be possible for an instrument to be "WAY" better than the $1,000-$2,000 Cordobas that I've owned.
Hi, Well everybody is entitled to their own opinion. Some people like blondes and
other people like brunettes.Norman2
Old 02-17-2016, 07:56 AM

I suggest calling a service oriented classical guitar dealer to help with your selection. Try Maple Street Guitars. I was helped by the very experienced classical guitar guy there and he hooked me up with a Alhambra but they have many choices new and used.
2005 Alvarez AC60SC
2005 Alvarez MC90C
Steel
2002 Martin OMC18VLJ signature
2003 Mauel McCloud Custom
Old 02-17-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesson11 View Post
-Bob
I have read that Kenny Hill is also the Chief Designer for Cordoba, so that makes perfect sense. He oversees Cordoba's factories in China and Oxnard CA. I would bet his KH Chinese guitars come out of the same factory in China.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyTrains View Post
I have read that Kenny Hill is also the Chief Designer for Cordoba, so that makes perfect sense. He oversees Cordoba's factories in China and Oxnard CA. I would bet his KH Chinese guitars come out of the same factory in China.
Hi, Although Kenny is Cordobas Chief Designer. He has his own boutique shop
in China and it is called New World Guitars. It even has a different address in
China than Cordoba. Nevertheless they are very similar guitars. Regards
Norman
Old 02-18-2016, 01:56 PM

I guess I lose the bet. Thanks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical