The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-10-2015, 06:45 AM

Default Review - Blackbird Lucky 13

I have really enjoyed my RS WS-1000 in terms of playability and tone, it surprised me in so many good ways. However, the body shape was larger than I was really looking for, and I never bonded with the sharks/black-ice/blue abalone aesthetic. I finally got the chance to try a few smaller body CF's yesterday (McPherson Kevin Michael and Blackbird Lucky 13). Just posted as a comment on another thread, but I think this review is deserving of a dedicated thread.

No comment on the Kevin Michael... not for me, others seem to love it.

I liked everything about the Blackbird Lucky 13. The neck shape was perfect for my hands, the scale length, depth & radius make playing barre chords very easy... I wish it was available in a 1-13/16" nut width, but 1-3/4" is adequate. My WS-1000 has an N2 neck and is a bit chunkier in depth than I like.... this is perfect.

The multiple sound holes (including regular front hole + the clever headstock sound hole + side sound hole) deliver a stereo tone that is VERY satisfying for the player... my wife was with me to listen, and she also preferred the Lucky 13 sitting in front. It does not have the monstrous volume or projection of the WS-1000, but I loved the warmer, sweeter tone of the L13.

Other Good Things: I really love the body shape, size, and ergonomics of the L13... the rounded edge on side-connection is super comfortable on my forearm... dimensions are very 00... It is light as a feather... the overall look is proportional and very attractive to my eye. The bridge is very interesting, actually a flamenco shape and proportion, looks nice! Stainless fret wires... every CF maker should provide stainless (I was disappointed to learn Rainsong does not use them).

Not-So-Good: The standard strap pin is located in the wrong place... a strap will fall off without a strap-lock, bad design... I want the pin properly located. It comes standard with a good gig bag, but I prefer a hard case. The MiSi pickup? It sounded fantastic thru the Shertler amp at LAG, but I think a cigar box would sound fantastic thru the Shertler... TBD. The tuners are Ping... meh... I would much prefer a set of Gotoh 510s. No truss rod due to hollow neck... make sure your setup is perfect from the start!

I hate to admit it, but I liked the L13 so much I ran out of time playing it and didn't get a chance to try the Shorty... I am very impressed with Rainsong instruments. Still, I think the L13 is perfect overall for my needs. FYI, I sold the WS-1000 in 2 quick phone calls, definitely buying a Lucky 13.

Last note... really enjoyed getting to meet Ted & Helene at LA Guitar sales, very personable couple and the store is a joy to visit.

BD

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 04-11-2015, 12:11 PM

On steel string models we use Gotoh tuners. Older Lucky 13s had Tone-pros.
Old 04-18-2015, 12:00 PM

I've got the old tone-pros, I read on their website that they're not making them anymore.

Anyway, I think they are 15:1 and that's ok for me. Thanks for the review. I have a 2013 model and I'm very happy with it.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 04-18-2015, 02:02 PM

Nice detailed review!

Seems like a cool guitar, but 2K is a bit pricy compared to other CF guitars on the market.
Old 04-19-2015, 01:53 AM

I thought 2k was about the average for CF?
Old 04-19-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwhale View Post
I thought 2k was about the average for CF?
It is, and given what goes in to making a CF guitar, that number is actually quite low. Yes, there are less expensive guitars like the CA's with the "RAW" finish, and the Emerald Opus which has a thick black stipple finish on the back and sides, but those models probably fall in to the loss leader category for the builders. If we compare apples to apples, an all gloss, full size CF guitar, prices are about the same. For instance, a CA OX gloss is $1800, the Blackbird Lucky 13 is $1935, and the Emerald X20 Artisan is $1950.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:20 PM

Can't go wrong w the Lucky 13… As a current owner, of course you should buy one too! Spontaneous purchase from Ludlow in NY when I was on a business trip.

The bass on the Kevin Michael is impressive, I had to get one of those as well. Still have the Emerald X7OS as well. All three are different, all offer something specific.

Very brief summary / personal observations.
Kevin Michael: Best sounding, great travel size. Con, scale length
Lucky13: My favorite overall, great shape and size. Con, could use a bit more bass.
X7OS: Best price point. Con, has a weird thwack sound possibly due to hollow neck. I had some advise on how to resolve this but never explored it. Usually pick up one of the others if they are around. I travel with the X7 the most. It also sounds fantastic through a high gain heavily distorted amp (try it sometime). I put it through my Cornford Carerra and it can go into overtone sustain indefinitely! What a trip….
Old 04-21-2015, 03:30 AM

Emerald now uses a lightweight filler in their necks standard which eliminates that sound that some playing styles produce.

I never noticed it on the first X7 I had with a hollow neck, but others did.

You might write Emerald for suggestions how to dampen it the best and lightest way and see what advice they have.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:50 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownguitaris View Post
.....X7OS: Con, has a weird thwack sound possibly due to hollow neck. I had some advise on how to resolve this but never explored it.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
Emerald now uses a lightweight filler in their necks standard which eliminates that sound that some playing styles produce.

I never noticed it on the first X7 I had with a hollow neck, but others did.

You might write Emerald for suggestions how to dampen it the best and lightest way and see what advice they have.
I bought a new Emerald Chimaera 6/12 doubleneck in late 2012. I noticed the 'thwack' sound that has been mentioned, and didn't like it at all. It really bugged me. My playing style is 99.9% bare finger picking/strumming, only rarely using a pick. The thwack was only heard while strumming in songs. I did try playing with a pick, and guess what?...I couldn't detect the thwack sound. I'm sure it was there, but since the pick generally adds volume, I assume it was drowned-out. Also, it seemed more pronounced closer to the nut, diminishing when playing the higher up the neck you go. Therefore, it seems it must have something to do with sonic air movement in the neck. So, depending on one's style of play, perhaps pick vs no pick use, not all players experience it. I did try stuffing a sock in each neck, but I couldn't get the sound to stop, and I really wasn't happy having to take such measures. Perhaps there is a do it yourself solution that Alistair has evolved. It was certainly enough of a problem for Emerald to modify their production to produce all their guitars with solid necks.

As I said, it was a major irritant for me, so I communicated my concerns to Alistair (I dealt directly with him for me order), and he offered to replace my Chimaera with the latest model. So, my new one, a 2014 model, has solid necks (not sure what is used) complete with titanium truss rods and the lightest weight Gotoh Stealth tuners. It is only slightly neck heavier than the original, but no problem at all. This latest version is a winner!

I commend Alistair for his exceptional above and beyond dedication to customer satisfaction.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I bought a new Emerald Chimaera 6/12 doubleneck in late 2012. I noticed the 'thwack' sound that has been mentioned, and didn't like it at all. It really bugged me. My playing style is 99.9% bare finger picking/strumming, only rarely using a pick. The thwack was only heard while strumming in songs. I did try playing with a pick, and guess what?...I couldn't detect the thwack sound. I'm sure it was there, but since the pick generally adds volume, I assume it was drowned-out. Also, it seemed more pronounced closer to the nut, diminishing when playing the higher up the neck you go. Therefore, it seems it must have something to do with sonic air movement in the neck. So, depending on one's style of play, perhaps pick vs no pick use, not all players experience it. I did try stuffing a sock in each neck, but I couldn't get the sound to stop, and I really wasn't happy having to take such measures. Perhaps there is a do it yourself solution that Alistair has evolved. It was certainly enough of a problem for Emerald to modify their production to produce all their guitars with solid necks.

As I said, it was a major irritant for me, so I communicated my concerns to Alistair (I dealt directly with him for me order), and he offered to replace my Chimaera with the latest model. So, my new one, a 2014 model, has solid necks (not sure what is used) complete with titanium truss rods and the lightest weight Gotoh Stealth tuners. It is only slightly neck heavier than the original, but no problem at all. This latest version is a winner!

I commend Alistair for his exceptional above and beyond dedication to customer satisfaction.
Impressive. I'm sure an Emerald will be my next guitar. But in no rush, my L13 keeps me very happy and I'd like to see what the new developments are like.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:01 PM

Thanks for all the input. I do need to look into a fix. Helps having others to play though!

New issue, My Chimera developed a weird noise playing a barred B chord (E chord pattern at 7th fret) which sounds like a metal buzz. No idea what thats all about. Anybody else have this? Think it may be a ball end of a string not fully seated or a loose truss rod….
Old 04-22-2015, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownguitaris View Post
Thanks for all the input. I do need to look into a fix. Helps having others to play though!

New issue, My Chimera developed a weird noise playing a barred B chord (E chord pattern at 7th fret) which sounds like a metal buzz. No idea what thats all about. Anybody else have this? Think it may be a ball end of a string not fully seated or a loose truss rod….
Could it be "back buzz"?

I have this on my L13 in a coupe of places, that luckily I never really play (quite high up). Basically the back end of the string sympathetically vibrates and buzzes on the fret. I've read that this is more of a problem with SS frets as they sound more than other fret materials. A quick fix, if you can, is to lower the nut slightly.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwhale View Post
Could it be "back buzz"?

I have this on my L13 in a coupe of places, that luckily I never really play (quite high up). Basically the back end of the string sympathetically vibrates and buzzes on the fret. I've read that this is more of a problem with SS frets as they sound more than other fret materials. A quick fix, if you can, is to lower the nut slightly.
This very well could be it… At least how you describe it relates to what I hear… Strangely I don't recall these weird instances on the woodies… CF and stainless frets may have these few issues, nothing insurmountable, at least to me….

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber