The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-06-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmackay66 View Post
Thanks for all the input. I gotta play a gx yet. Next question is how much more expensive is the gx over the ox. i can get a new ox w/ bag for 1350.00 + tx at my local shop. But they dont have a gx right now. Also i guess the ox is neww enough that i dont see alot of them for sale used, yet. Missed the boat on a used gx on the forum just last week. (He who hesitates is lost forever). Thanks again, John
The GX is quite a bit more expensive. It should also be noted that the raw finish that is available on the OX knocks the price down a couple hundred.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:44 PM

I'll take the OX side for a couple of reasons. I'm rather deep bodied (grin) so a deep bodied guitar results in an awkward shoulder position and limits my playing time. The OX is wonderfully compact and comfortable.

And as far as bass goes, I think it's quite possible to have too much of a good thing, especially if it goes in the woofy or boomy direction. And my brief experience with a GXi and a GX both gave me the impression of too much of a good low end thing.

This is a pretty good representation of the sound of my OX, tuned down to open F, one whole step below open G: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqzDWMBP2gk

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 08-06-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
i can get a new ox w/ bag for 1350.00 + tx at my local shop. Missed the boat on a used gx on the forum just last week. (He who hesitates is lost forever). Thanks again, John
Hey John,
coming from wood guitars, I used to think that it is "safer" to buy new guitars, rather than used/old wood.
So i invested in a new CA X-Performer. USD2699.
Then a used CA Xi popped up and i got at a ridiculously low price of USD1200.
Turns out the used Xi was almost as pristine as the new CA X, for less than half the cost.
Must have been the carbon-fiber material...
Have been buying used carbon-fiber guitars since...
Just my 2 cents worth...
2009 GXi Wine
2009 CA 12-Strings Sun-burst
2010 X-Performer Carbon-burst
2011 Cargo Red

Emerald Soloist
2012 X20-OS Vintage Amber

Blackbird Soloist
2013 Super OM Carbon-burst with italian racing red sound-holes

http://pinterest.com/charming01/carb...forced-guitars
Old 08-09-2013, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

I think I've decided on the ox. Mainly to stay in budget, but also like the body size and the raw finish is kinda cool. I have a couple shiny ones so why not have one that's not so shiny? Hope I can get it dialed in with the others at church. I'll run it thru a bbe di with sonic maximizer and I think we'll be fine. Thank you everyone for your help. It was very helpful!!! John
Old 08-10-2013, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Found one made an offer!! Waiting to here back.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

Got the ox bought!! It's on the way. Be here Monday. Really excited . I've bought several guitars that had to be shipped. I'm always a little nervous until it gets here and gets unpacked. I always say I won't buy another one by mail and then I do it again!!
Old 08-14-2013, 02:07 PM

Congratulations. I'll be curious to read your thoughts once you get it.

One great thing about CF guitars: they travel much better than wood (much less likely to be damaged en route).
Old 08-16-2013, 12:36 PM

You will enjoy it...the Swiss Army knife of CA Guitars. I have one I keep in my office when I need some time to decompress.

Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald X20 purple weave
Emerald X20 gold weave
Taylor NS34ce
Taylor T5X
Composite Acoustic OX Raw (Peavey)
Rainsong OM
Breedlove Pro C25/CRH
Prestige Eclipse Spruce/Mahogany
Voyage Air VAOM-1C (2)
Baden D style Mahogany
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany
Journey Instruments OF660
Recording King ROA-9 Bakersfield Limited
Mogabi 200
Old 08-16-2013, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

I got the ox today. I put new set of elixir 12s and a new tusk saddle. Sounds good on the top and bottom. Definitely a little different tone than wood. Not bad, just a little different. I really like the neck size and width. Feels very comfortable. Don't much care for the baggs tuner and I'm not sure about the hip shot tuners. They both seem a little touchy. I'm probably a little to picky being I've only had it for 7 hours. I'll definitely give her a fair chance, I think I'll like it more the longer I have it. I also get to play it at church Sunday and I'm excited about that. Does anyone know if we can tell what year it was made by the serial no.?? It's OXE 709265-1. Just curious. One other thing, it came with a set of black shiny strings on it. I've never seen those before!!?? Thx, John
Old 08-16-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
I got the ox today. I put new set of elixir 12s and a new tusk saddle. Sounds good on the top and bottom. Definitely a little different tone than wood. Not bad, just a little different. I really like the neck size and width. Feels very comfortable. Don't much care for the baggs tuner and I'm not sure about the hip shot tuners. They both seem a little touchy. I'm probably a little to picky being I've only had it for 7 hours. I'll definitely give her a fair chance, I think I'll like it more the longer I have it. I also get to play it at church Sunday and I'm excited about that. Does anyone know if we can tell what year it was made by the serial no.?? It's OXE 709265-1. Just curious. One other thing, it came with a set of black shiny strings on it. I've never seen those before!!?? Thx, John
Shiny Black strings??? Curious...
Old 08-16-2013, 09:25 PM
Charter Member

Yep, that's what I thought. This guitar came from a collector so I wonder if they were original equipment. They were dead as a doornail .
Old 08-17-2013, 09:13 AM

"Does anyone know if we can tell what year it was made by the serial no.?? It's OXE 709265-1."

Pretty sure that means it was built on the 265th day of 2009 (which would be 9/22/09).
Old 08-18-2013, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for your reply on the serial no. that sound about right. I played the ox at church this morning. sounded a little bright thru my crate amp. So we cut the high and the mid a little and it came around real well. I think we'll try a set of different strings.to get some of the brightness out of it. But overall
it plays real good and is going to be great with a little tweeking. Any suggestions on strings?? its got elixor 12-53 Phosphor bronze on it now. Maybe a set of coated DRs??? Thx John
Old 08-18-2013, 01:51 PM

I'm a fan of John Pearse PBs. Nice and warm.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, man. Im on vaca this week so ill have plenty of time to tweek this thing. I will definitely try the PBs. Thanks again John

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber