The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-18-2011, 01:07 PM

I have had a Motif for about a year. I also have a Yamaha NTX 700. The Yamaha is on consignment for sale. I felt the Motif had a better sound and all. They are completely different. Different woods = different sound. I just preferred the Motif sound to the Yamaha. Playability is also great for my hands. I also have played an Ami. I figured it would sound about the same, but didn't. That's not to say all Ami would sound worse (thinner in my opinion). I also played a Collection the day I bought the Motif and it didn't sound as good either.

However, unless you are looking for a parlor sized guitar, for about the same $$$ is the Etude. I have played one of those and it sounded better than the Motif and the Collection. Just my $.02. Hope it helps.

Guitars:
A few, but on the hunt for the "one"
Old 02-18-2011, 03:14 PM

thanks, I also had the Yamaha NTX 700, had it for about a week, then I returned it. I loved the pickups and it played great but something about it just didn't work for me. If I ever find the NTX900 or 1200R I might give it a second chance.

And I am looking for a nylon string parlor guitar, that's most of the appeal for me in the Motif.

I'll be on the look out for one, I'd like to try it first before buying.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:19 PM

I've had one for about four years. I keep it on my office as a beater. It's got a nice sound, great neck (very easy on the left hand), is well-balanced, but intonation is a little sketchy and the trebles aren't very refined. I'm primarily a classical player, and it's certainly not one I would use on gigs, but for the money and what it is, I love it. I've got one (kinda crappy) video I recorded with it, which might give you some idea of the sound:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPvSLo363lk
Old 02-22-2016, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudama View Post
Another question:

How does the A&L Ami nylon string compare to the La Patrie Motif in terms of build quality and sound? They're both owned by Godin right? Because asides from the back/side/neck materials and the finish they seem to be pretty similar.

http://www.lapatrieguitars.com/guitarsmotif.html

http://www.artandlutherieguitars.com/aminyloncedar.html
I own an art & lutherie ami nylon..totally love it...it was chosen instead of the motif because i've never cared for the look of traditional classical rosettes..i tend to prefer instruments with less adornment/bling...my ami had that awful plastic stick-on raised 'rosette', which was removed as soon as i got home...(it seems art & lutherie took note of customers' strong dislike for those darn toilet-seat rosettes, and has resumed their previous stenciled rosettes--good move, A & L!)

the motif has a mahogany neck, the ami a silver-leaf maple neck...otherwise they're the same guitar with only cosmetic differences.

the A&L website says all A&L guitars have the same scale and neck radius, but the ami nylon doesn't--it has the same scale (25.66) and neck radius (24") as the la patrie motif.

i've played several Ami Nylons and several Motifs and they all sounded and pretty much the same to my ears...both are lovely guitars...i just like the ami more.

Last edited by janepaints; 02-22-2016 at 11:44 PM. Reason: additional info

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical