The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-16-2010, 01:43 PM

Default Left handed nylon players?

HI,
Is there any lefty player on this forum?
What guitar do you use and what do you think of it?
I am afraid we don't have much choice.
I play a crafter CT125C, which is good but not great.
I also play a cuenca 40.
The only other godin type guitar (guitar without soundhole) is the rick turner RN6, but it quite expensive...
Bye
Old 11-16-2010, 02:09 PM

Aren't most classical guitars pretty much symmetrical with no pickguard? I you reverse the nut (and compensated saddle, if yours is compensated - many are not), then I'd think you'd be good to go.

I have no idea what is involved in reversing the nut though!
Old 11-16-2010, 04:50 PM

hi antzoul:
we are a lot of lefties in the forum.
welcome!!
i play lefty 8 string classical by f. zalapa(mexico)
and lefty 6 steel string by kronbauer(canada)
both; great custom guitars
Eblen
Old 11-17-2010, 03:53 AM

OK great to know!
In France, we have a forum just for left handed guitarists! I think there is also one in English.
I would be interested in knowing what guitars other lefies have...
Old 11-17-2010, 07:21 AM

Default Lefty Classicals

Hi there,

I'm not a lefty, but did notice your post and a suggestion that classicals were symetrical - swap the nut and away you go.

A word of caution, 'cos it may not be just that simple. Some fan- strut patterns are symetrical and some are not. Some LOOK symetrical but the maker puts stiffer bracing in the base to manage the difference in tension.

Reversing the nut may make it physically possible to play but upset the tension dynamics (and give a rubbish sound).

Something extra for you to consider.

Good luck and stick with it.

Don
Old 11-17-2010, 07:25 AM

I am more interested in electro-classical guitars, without a soundhole, which are seldom symetrical.
As for classical, I'd rather buy a left handed guitar directly (so that I can try it!)...
Old 11-18-2010, 05:58 AM

Hello antzoul2
I've served many a left hander with vintage classical and crossover guitars with success. Care should be taken in the process but the results are typically rewarding. Here's an example from my inventory of a classical crossover that offers left-handed players another option.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classical Guy View Post
Hi there,

I'm not a lefty, but did notice your post and a suggestion that classicals were symetrical - swap the nut and away you go.

A word of caution, 'cos it may not be just that simple. Some fan- strut patterns are symetrical and some are not. Some LOOK symetrical but the maker puts stiffer bracing in the base to manage the difference in tension.

Reversing the nut may make it physically possible to play but upset the tension dynamics (and give a rubbish sound).

Something extra for you to consider.

Good luck and stick with it.

Don
Interesting. Makes sense. (Humans are also superficially symmetrical on the outside, but not symmetrical on the inside).

This is why these forums are so useful. If someone says something that is naive or stupid, with any luck there will be someone else who actually knows what he/she is talking about who will rectify the situation, and we learn some useful things as a result!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical