The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-10-2010, 10:29 AM

Default Graphite guitars

anyone ever tried out a Graphite guitar like a Rainsong? how do they compare to a similar Priced wooden acoustic in sound, weight, tone etc? anyone know how they're built?
Old 05-10-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutley2209 View Post
anyone ever tried out a Graphite guitar like a Rainsong? how do they compare to a similar Priced wooden acoustic in sound, weight, tone etc? anyone know how they're built?
I have a Composite Acoustics Cargo RT, and love it. Woody enough tone, and very playable. I strummed a Rainsong, but wasn't in the market for it. I prefer wood, but I am encouraged that the wood-less future will have decent guitars nonetheless.

They tend to be pricey, especially with CA out of business. But their advantages - no weather related problems, extremely rugged and stable -are compelling. I don't find them heavier per se.

As in most things, YMMV and you should get out to play some for an extended audition. They are respectable alternatives that need no apology or explanation.
Martin '11 D Mahogany (FSC) Golden Era type
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
Yamaha '72 G-170A (Japanese solid top)
Garcia '67 Model 3
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
Old 05-10-2010, 10:53 AM

I have a Blackbird Rider Steel String. It is a pricey travel guitar. Very well made. I am surprised at the sound. It is loud and has a good tone for such a small guitar. To me it sounds like a wood instrument. The sound compares favorably with any guitar I have. It isn't a Martin or R. Taylor, but is no slacker either. One issue I have is that carbon fiber is very slippery. I play in a seated position without a strap. No problems holding it, or slipping against skin, but very slippery on clothing - like jeans for instance. To play for any period of time it is necessary to use a knee support/device that the manufacturer makes for the guitar to "hold the neck up." It is very light and I am amazed at how thin the material is, especially the top. It's like the thickness of heavy paper. That probably contributes to the volume and tone. The fretboard is some kind of composite and it feels good as well. I assume it would be an issue to refret the instrument. I wanted a small, tough light weight guitar for travel and recreation. The Blackbird is perfect for that.

Blessings,
garyj

Martin D45, Breedlove NW, PRS Howard Leese, Ramirez 1a
Takamine EF77, Vicente Carrillo Gabriela, Yamaha LJ36, R Taylor S1
Yamaha AEX1500, Takamine H8SS, Yamaha FG, Martin 0-45S
Blackbird Rider, Martin 00-42K2 Robbie R, Yamaha CSF100K
Fender Custom Strat, Woolson Double Top Parlor
UKE'S - SCGC Koa, Collings UT3, Ko'olua Custom
Moore Bettah, Martin 5K, Kamaka, Blackbird
Old 05-10-2010, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Default CA Bluegrass

I have the CA "Bluegrass" model. I think it is the only one they made that actually had braces. It didn't need it for the strength but they found that it made it sound more like a "wooden" guitar. I love the neck...almost like playing an electric. Plus, I put a Fishman matrix infinity in it and it sounds really good amplified. It's the ultimate gigging/writing/travel guitar. Only down side is it plays so easy, if I play it alot, I find I don't like the feel of my other guitars as much!!....if that is a down side?
Old 05-10-2010, 11:32 AM

how do they go about building them? would there ever be something along the lines of a part Carbon Fibre acoustic?

"If you tried to give rock and roll another name, you might call it Chuck Berry" - John Lennon

A fun thing to do at public restrooms is to wait until someone leaves, then click your stopwatch and write something down in a notebook
Old 05-10-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutley2209 View Post
would there ever be something along the lines of a part Carbon Fibre acoustic?
You mean like this?

http://www.laguitarsales.com/pages/4...ong_Parlor.htm

Old 05-10-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter View Post
I have the CA "Bluegrass" model. I think it is the only one they made that actually had braces. It didn't need it for the strength but they found that it made it sound more like a "wooden" guitar. I love the neck...almost like playing an electric. Plus, I put a Fishman matrix infinity in it and it sounds really good amplified. It's the ultimate gigging/writing/travel guitar. Only down side is it plays so easy, if I play it alot, I find I don't like the feel of my other guitars as much!!....if that is a down side?

Actually ALL of the CAs have braces on their tops. The real contribution made by CA was the addition of braces to alter the sound, since they really are not needed structurally on a carbon fiber guitar.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:54 AM

As for "How do they build them?" there was a 2 part youtube video that shows how Composite Acoustic made the guitars.
Fascinating.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:57 AM

that guitar literaly made me just go PPPHHHAAAWWWW!! i want one!! how much do they go for? anyone built a firbre glass one in that case?

"If you tried to give rock and roll another name, you might call it Chuck Berry" - John Lennon

A fun thing to do at public restrooms is to wait until someone leaves, then click your stopwatch and write something down in a notebook
Old 05-10-2010, 12:02 PM

I had a graphite dread- CA Bluegrass Performer, and now have a Composite Acoustics OX. I will always be grateful that was able to get my CA before they closed. The OX to me is the perfect guitar. It is a full sounding small bodied guitar. A bit smaller than some OM's with a shallower depth. It was supposedly built as a fingerstyle guitar, but to me it works as a jack of all trades guitar. The founder of the company referred to it as his favorite guitar. As guitars made of carbon fiber, the OX was one of the most reasonably priced. This was not meant as a low end model either but has the same quality and tone of the more expensive models. I cant recommend these enough if you can find one used for sale. These guitars to me can easily compete with other guitars in there price range as well as much more expensive ones. I like Rainsong as well but the prices were a little to a lot higher than mine. Just my two cents, Patrick
Old 05-10-2010, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

I currently have a RainSong WS1000, and have owned two RainSong DR1000 models, a RainSong JM3000 12-string, a Rainsong A-WS1000, a Composite Acoustics Tim Stafford Signature Model and a Composite Acoustics Bluegrass Standard. Simply put, I believe every guitarist should own a graphite guitar or at least audition one. The durability and resistance to weather issues that they offer can give peace-of-mind to players. They sound great too!

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 05-10-2010, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

I have a RainSong OM1000.

While I agree completely with all the comments about the durability and stability, I must say that the sound, for the price, doesn't compare with a similarly-priced lower-end Martin OM, IMHO.

I played mine in our Legion last Friday night, unplanned and unamped, and was seriously disappointed at the projection and sound quality. To me, it got lost in the room. And, when beaten on to produce the volume required, it sounded crashy and tinny.

They're perfectly good fingerstyle guitars when either in a quiet, small room or amplified, though. YMMV......

'78 Martin HD-28
'09 MIAC Show PRS Angelus Cutaway
'04 McPherson 4.5 EIR/redwood
'09 PRS Tonare Grand, Adirondack/cocobolo

Electrics:
6 x PRS
4 x Fender
Old 05-10-2010, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garywj View Post
I have a Blackbird Rider Steel String. It is a pricey travel guitar. Very well made. I am surprised at the sound. It is loud and has a good tone for such a small guitar. To me it sounds like a wood instrument. The sound compares favorably with any guitar I have. It isn't a Martin or R. Taylor, but is no slacker either. One issue I have is that carbon fiber is very slippery. I play in a seated position without a strap. No problems holding it, or slipping against skin, but very slippery on clothing - like jeans for instance. To play for any period of time it is necessary to use a knee support/device that the manufacturer makes for the guitar to "hold the neck up." It is very light and I am amazed at how thin the material is, especially the top. It's like the thickness of heavy paper. That probably contributes to the volume and tone. The fretboard is some kind of composite and it feels good as well. I assume it would be an issue to refret the instrument. I wanted a small, tough light weight guitar for travel and recreation. The Blackbird is perfect for that.
Ditto... love mine! Absolutely the best travel guitar I have ever played. A little pricey, but if that is the only knock against it then all is good. Long(er) scale length than the other composite travel guitars, 1 3/4" nut, super light weight, rests nicely on a lap and balances with a strap... and it looks KILLER. I had the sound hole and headstock sound port painted Ferrari red... WICKED COOL. (Sorry for the New Hampshire in me coming out.)

I also have 2 CA's... a Performer X and a Legacy dread. Both phenomenal as well. I've owned a few Rainsongs as well over the years... a WS, OM & J-12. Liked them, but once I played a CA... well, you can figure it out.
Slackers 1:51-52
FSM
Old 05-10-2010, 04:01 PM

CA Legacy is now about the only guitar I play. It put all the others in their cases. You really need to play one. I remember the first Legacy I played and I absolutely freaked out because it sounded like wood.
Steve
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 05-10-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garywj View Post
I assume it would be an issue to refret the instrument.
I was wondering about that. Do the frets wear out, and if they do, can they be replaced?

DAB

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber