The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-10-2008, 08:47 AM

This is an interesting discussion - my favorite is what I have ... which was what I could afford :-) Knowing there is "better" - this still gets the job done. I have a Mackie Onyx 1220 - 12 x 2 Analog Mixer (Onyx preamps, Perkins EQ, and FireWire). This solved the problem for my small home studio of having a device that could tie all my various pieces of gear together and serve as a computer interface as well. Recordings at 24/96 via mic sound pretty amazing to me and there is all the flexibility I need plus the ability to record a few friends on occasion as well. Solves a lot of problems for me at ~$500

Sometimes, additional character is nice too - so then I run my "live" rig in direct - which is either a Rane AP13, or my Studiomaster C3 - 8 Channel, 12 Input 1U mixer. The StudioMaster has really great quality pre's for the price and gives me almost all the flexibility of the Mackie in a much smaller package for when I am "out and about"
Old 04-10-2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Fran,

There are noticeable differences in all of those samples, from a recording engineer perspective. Perhaps you were listening more to the music, which is certainly appreciated, but may direct your ear away from those differences. For example, the first sample (ADK AP2 w/ DOP1A op amp) is a classic "JFet" sound, with a homogeneous bass/mid/treble and dry character. The fourth sample (MDP-1a) is more detailed, a bit slower and fuller. You might also notice the MDP-1a is more 3-D and provides a more realistic stereo image. The third sample (DigiDesign 003) is thinner and more 2-D. Still, it holds up fairly well with the others even though it's a much less expensive preamp. I could go on.

If you have the time, try listening to the samples again focusing on the sound and not so much on the music.
Sorry, I tried again, I don't hear "slower" nor do I hear "3-D."

I guess I'm just not cut out to be a recording engineer - but then I knew that already.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 04-11-2008, 04:18 PM

Just sort of a collateral observation...

One thing I am happy about as a home-studio solo player is the luxury of not having to build a suite of gear that would cover the needs of many different instruments and performance styles. I know there are some on the forum that play ensemble music or are themselves multi-instrumentalists, but not being focused on these things myself I've realized how much simpler it is to choose equipment for a predictable, repeatable performance scenario--i.e., just lil' ole me. In fact repeatability is what it's all about, IMHO - I don't want to fuss with tweaking my knobs every time I sit down to record something.

So once you pick that preamp and mike setup, once you string together a nice signal chain and treat a room to your liking, then you're all set! Easy? Uhhhh....but easier than having to create a real studio that can serve a solo acoustic guitarist today and a hiphop band tomorrow. So, let us solo recordists count our blessings!!

Doerr Artist custom Cedar/Mahogany
Lowden F10C Cedar/Mahogany
Lowden F35C Sinker/Tasmanian blackwood
Paragon MJ Sitka/Maple
Paragon MJ custom Carpathian/Malaysian blackwood
Brunner custom travel guitar

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones.
- John Cage

Old 04-13-2008, 10:43 AM

Quote:
I tried dozens of preamps and have owned many, all for recording solo fignerstyle acoustic and classical guitar, but there are hundreds of different preamps out there. The few good ones I have are, I guess, my current favorites, although there are a couple of others I would love to have. This is what I'm currently using:

1) Pendulum Audio MDP-1a. Excellent two channel tube pre with extra features. A rather sensual, detailed and euphonic sound.

MDP-1a

2) ADK AP2. Plenty of clean and quiet gain. This preamp allows you to swap input transformers and op amps for a variety of textures, sounds and behaviors, from clean and transparent to colorful and thick. I currently have 4 transformer pairs and 5 op amp pairs, for 20 different combinations. All are different, and all are good. It's quite a piece. I sold a John Hardy M2 after I got this. The AP2 with Jensen transformer and Hardy 990C op amp is very very close to the Hardy.

AP-2

3) Pendulum Audio SPS-1. This unit is known for gigging, but it also functions as a studio grade 2 channel mic pre with defeatable parametric eq and stereo mix bus. It resembles the MDP-1a, like a sibling.

SPS-1

4) Rane DMS22. This is a pair of Rane MS-1 preamps woth a defeatable eq section plus a stereo mix bus. It's very good and inexpensive, but it's not in the same class of the 3 above.

DMS22

Preamps I would like to have:

1) Forssell Technologies SMP-2

SMP-2

2) Gordon Model 5

Model 5

On Edit: I forgot to mention that the mics used, their placement, the room and several other factors all influence things. I like to consider a specific mic/pre combination as a "sonic unit", or something like that.
Thanks for that very informative post sdelsolray. I've been considering buying a good preamp lately, but I'm new to gear in general. My only previous experience with hi-end gear, is as an audiophile. My main home stereo set-up includes an FM Acoustics "FM 240 Thermo-Quad A-Stage Reference Preamplifier", so I'm familiar to some degree with the importance of a hi-quality preamp.

I'm wondering if the Pendulum MDP-1a would be a good choice for acoustic guitar and a vocal mic. Also, would this be a good choice for "live" sound as well as for recording?

To my way of thinking, "euphonic" would seem to be a very desireable characteristic in a preamp for a performing/recording artist.

Bob
Old 04-13-2008, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby1note View Post
Thanks for that very informative post sdelsolray. I've been considering buying a good preamp lately, but I'm new to gear in general. My only previous experience with hi-end gear, is as an audiophile. My main home stereo set-up includes an FM Acoustics "FM 240 Thermo-Quad A-Stage Reference Preamplifier", so I'm familiar to some degree with the importance of a hi-quality preamp.

I'm wondering if the Pendulum MDP-1a would be a good choice for acoustic guitar and a vocal mic. Also, would this be a good choice for "live" sound as well as for recording?

To my way of thinking, "euphonic" would seem to be a very desireable characteristic in a preamp for a performing/recording artist.

Bob
The MDP-1a is wonderful. It's superb for vocals, among many other sources. You might want to search a few of the pro audio forums for review, comments and discussions. You will find that the professionals universally praise the MDP-1. It also has additional features that are useful,such as stepped bass rolloff, DI inputs with different input impedances (10 MegOhm, 1 MegOhm and 100k Ohm), line in, choice of input transformers (permanent install), VU meters with alternative read points, among standard preamp features (48v phantom, polarity reverse, etc.).

Gearslutz Forum

Pro Sound Web

3dB Forum

It would not, I think, be a good choice for live sound. It's 2U, heavy and expensive.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:20 AM

Default well

I'm working with Focusrite Trackmaster pro...and Studio Projects C1...and have nice result...
as posted before..you can listen it on http://amiestreet.com/sixstringsandapieceofwood
Old 04-13-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
The MDP-1a is wonderful. It's superb for vocals, among many other sources. You might want to search a few of the pro audio forums for review, comments and discussions. You will find that the professionals universally praise the MDP-1. It also has additional features that are useful,such as stepped bass rolloff, DI inputs with different input impedances (10 MegOhm, 1 MegOhm and 100k Ohm), line in, choice of input transformers (permanent install), VU meters with alternative read points, among standard preamp features (48v phantom, polarity reverse, etc.).

Gearslutz Forum

Pro Sound Web

3dB Forum

It would not, I think, be a good choice for live sound. It's 2U, heavy and expensive.
Thanks for those links sdelsolray. I'll definitely check those out.

What preamp (if any) are you using for "Live" sound? or are you going straight to the mixers' mic pre-amp? If so, which DI are you using?

Bob
Old 04-13-2008, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby1note View Post
Thanks for those links sdelsolray. I'll definitely check those out.

What preamp (if any) are you using for "Live" sound? or are you going straight to the mixers' mic pre-amp? If so, which DI are you using?

Bob
I use a Pendulum Audio SPS-1. Same company, different product. It's designed specifically for acoustic guitars and pickups, among other uses. The SPS-1 is a DI, preamp and eq all put together in one package.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:07 PM

This might be a silly question, but what is the difference between using an acoustic preamp and plugging directly into a recording interface such as the Mbox or Digi002?
Old 04-23-2008, 01:00 PM

my best sound was thru an avantone CV-28 mic into an LA 610 by UA

however i have had great results with the same mic with my pendulum audio quartet, Sebatron Thorax and API 512c/560 eq.

love the warmth of the 610 though
Old 04-23-2008, 01:18 PM

hi
for recording, i like old tube gear; PULTEC, ANTHONY DE MARIA
solid state: NEVE, FOCUSRITE,GM,
i haven been in a vintage gear studio for a while, i remember this preamps
worked with a very warm output!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell