The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 11-14-2007, 10:33 AM

Default Ever wondered what happened to your favorite Christian artist???

If you are a fan of Christian music and your favorite groups seemed to have dropped off the face of the earth, here is a really neat site to check out:

http://www.cmcentral.com/missing.html

Please, I don't want this to turn into a debate about what is considered Christian music. I just thought that folks that were interested in CCM industry music would like to check this out.

I don't think that it's been updated since 2003 or 2004, but it's still pretty cool to look at.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:40 AM

Thanks for the link. Frankly, I had never even heard of most of the people or groups mentioned, but I did notice a few. It's always interesting to hear about "where they are today".
Taylor 914ce
Martin D28e Modern Deluxe
Fender American Stratocaster
Fender Custom Shop '55 Stratocaster (Sunburst Relic)
Fender Custom Shop '51 Nocaster (Blonde Relic)
Old 11-14-2007, 10:47 AM
Me

I looked through the list and found about 4 names I recognized.
No mention of Limpic and Rayburn, Jerry Limpic, Love Song, Keith Green, Larry Norman, Randy Stonehill, Sweet Comfort, Daniel Amos, Billy Crockett, or Bob Bennett........
Old 11-14-2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
No mention of Limpic and Rayburn, Jerry Limpic, Love Song, Keith Green, Larry Norman, Randy Stonehill, Sweet Comfort, Daniel Amos, Billy Crockett, or Bob Bennett........
I was noticing the same thing. Limpic and Rayburn, Sweet Comfort, Daniel Amos! Now those names are going back a number of years (as are the others). As you probably know, Keith Green died in a air plane accident in the early 80's. Bob Bennett is still around (great guitarist!), but not doing much lately. I know he went through a divorce a number of years ago that was pretty devastating to him. Whatever happened to Chuck Butler and Parable?
Taylor 914ce
Martin D28e Modern Deluxe
Fender American Stratocaster
Fender Custom Shop '55 Stratocaster (Sunburst Relic)
Fender Custom Shop '51 Nocaster (Blonde Relic)
Old 11-14-2007, 12:16 PM

I, by no means, meant for this to be an exhaustive list. I just found it interesting.

Hope you enjoy it!
Old 11-14-2007, 01:43 PM
Only visiting this planet

And it is interesting, thanks for the link. Hey do you remember Mark Heard?
Old 11-14-2007, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

Hi ppg...
Thanks for the post...

I've actually e-mailed and chatted with a few of them. Received a note from Bob Ayala the other day...glad he's still out there playing. Ran into Mike Deasy at a local Christian school doing a concert for their chapel a couple years back.

Stonehill has come through a couple times in the past 5 years, and Glen Kaiser (JPUSA, Rez band etc) has done a concert in the area. Our sons lived at JPUSA for 7 years - so we saw lots of old timers there.

Chuck Girrard (Love Song) did a service here as did Annie Herring (2nd Chapter of Acts). We have had some opportunities to see and chat with a few.

I do wonder about the pioneers who inspired us, and try to see if they are still active.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 11-14-2007 at 05:25 PM. Reason: more
Old 11-14-2007, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluelew View Post
Mark was a wonderful songwriter and musician. I was just listening to "Eye Of The Storm". Time to get out the slide and see if I remember how to play "He Will Listen To You".
Old 11-14-2007, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluelew View Post
He was taken too soon. Had some great songs. Phil Keaggy covered some of them.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi ppg...
Thanks for the post...

I've actually e-mailed and chatted with a few of them. Received a note from Bob Ayala the other day...glad he's still out there playing. Ran into Mike Deasy at a local Christian school doing a concert for their chapel a couple years back.

Stonehill has come through a couple times in the past 5 years, and Glen Kaiser (JPUSA, Rez band etc) has done a concert in the area. Our sons lived at JPUSA for 7 years - so we saw lots of old timers there.

Chuck Girrard (Love Song) did a service here as did Annie Herring (2nd Chapter of Acts). We have had some opportunities to see and chat with a few.

I do wonder about the pioneers who inspired us, and try to see if they are still active.
Hi Larry, I had the pleasure years ago of meeting Mike and Kathie Deasy. They were touring with Jannie Grein. She had hired me to run sound for a few of her concerts. Last I had heard, they had moved to Monument, CO.

Joel Stehr 8 String - Figured Myrtle / German Spruce
Kammerer 8-NNG - Maple
Chrisman guitar 1934
2-Russian made classical - Rosewood/Spruce
Mervyn Davis Smoothtalker - Cedar/Kiaat
Kinnaird Student Build SJ Sitka Spruce / Black Wanunt
Old 11-14-2007, 11:24 PM

Quote:
This is scary Steve but I still have vinyl for all of those guys !!

Kammerer 8-NNG - Maple
Chrisman guitar 1934
Old 11-15-2007, 09:07 AM

Default Memory Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman48 View Post
This is scary Steve but I still have vinyl for all of those guys !!
Me too! Working slowly through all my old LP's converting them to digital so I can enjoy them again.

Quote:
Hi Larry, I had the pleasure years ago of meeting Mike and Kathie Deasy. Last I had heard, they had moved to Monument, CO.
I didn't think anyone knew of these guys! I have an old Mike Deasy LP where he looks like the man of the mountains and has pictures of these incredibly carved Fenders (Tele and a Strat) where the Tele, I believe, has a Calvary scene carved into it! I used to buy albums (artist unknown) based upon Mike Deasy being one of the session people.

Quote:
While I found quite a number I knew, there were many I did not know, but I lost sight of a lot of Christian music artists when I let my CCM magazine subscription lapse in the mid-90's. I also missed a few names I was hoping to see listed here. Unfortunately Christian music has had more than its share of one-hit-wonders and the severe lack of "Christian Oldies" means there really isn't any demand for some of the older music or any motivation to keep up with the artists of the past.

I often wonder how artists who had airplay some years ago survive. Unlike the secular music industry where music marks a decade or a stylistic era and leads to radio formats based upon these things (thus continuing to generate royalties for those songs), Christian radio (at least in my area) is driven by the machine and there is no real vision beyond what is being promoted by the record companies at this moment. Certainly there are no Christian tunes being picked up for general advertising background, and rare radio play, so there can not be much coming in for these artists in royalties. A real shame!

Keeping GAS in check:
It's not having what you want
It's wanting what you've got
Sheryl Crow & Jeff Trott-Soak Up The Sun
Old 11-15-2007, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelhenry View Post
I didn't think anyone knew of these guys! I have an old Mike Deasy LP where he looks like the man of the mountains and has pictures of these incredibly carved Fenders (Tele and a Strat) where the Tele, I believe, has a Calvary scene carved into it! I used to buy albums (artist unknown) based upon Mike Deasy being one of the session people.
Mike, the first time I saw Mike Deasy was in the mid 70's. He was touring with 2nd Chapter of Acts. When I met him (on the Janny Grein tour) he was playing one of the carved guitars you mentioned. Sadly his hearing was just about gone from years of "too much volume". I found some pics of the guitars you had mentioned. In my search I also found that Mike and Kathie are now in Port Arthur, TX (he has a myspace page....too much!) Also, there is a link for more "Where are they now" info.

Where are they now info:
http://www.one-way.org/jesusmusic/index.html

Kammerer 8-NNG - Maple
Chrisman guitar 1934

Last edited by soundman48; 11-16-2007 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Mike, the first time I saw Mike Deasy was in the mid 70's. He was touring with 2nd Chapter of Acts. When I met him (on the Janny Grein tour) he was playing one of the carved guitar you mentioned. Sadly his hearing was just about gone from years of "too much volume". I found some pics of the guitars you had mentioned. In my search I also found that Mike and Kathie are now in Port Arthur, TX (he has a myspace page....too much!) Also, there is a link for more "Where are they now" info.

Where are they now info:
http://www.one-way.org/jesusmusic/index.html
Thanks! Those are the guitars. Though my memory is foggy, I believe I met him once while I was in Christian radio and if I recall he said the work was done with a tool that is like a dental drill. That part stuck with me, but maybe I read it somewhere. Then again I know I saw 2nd Chapter at least three times, so it could have been in person.

Keeping GAS in check:
It's not having what you want
It's wanting what you've got
Sheryl Crow & Jeff Trott-Soak Up The Sun
Old 11-16-2007, 01:38 PM

Quote:
No mention of Limpic and Rayburn, Jerry Limpic,
I believe that Gerry Limpic is Worship Minister at a church in the San Diego area. Before Limpic and Rayburn (and yes, I have both albums!) he was with a group called Random Sample that played in the San Diego area, a Christian folk music group that also included his older brother Ted. Ted was a director for Campus Crusade for Christ, and was involved in mission work to South America for many years. Seems like he was also part of the early days of Youth Specialties ...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell